Would this bind?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I was looking at the Team Associated 1/10 scale buggy and noticed the suspension geometry looks a bit odd to me.

The upper link has a different angle than the lower arm. Looking at the arc of both, they are different, which would seems like it would bind at some point.

1706766631478.png

Is this the case? Does it matter?

It doesn't bind. The reason you want the upper link shorter is so it adds camber as the suspension compresses. The upper link travel arc being shorter means as the suspension compresses, the top of the c-hub gets leaned inward, adding camber and traction in the corners.
20221203_165539.jpg

Only logical way to find out is buy one. In the name of science.🫠

It doesn't bind. The reason you want the upper link shorter is so it adds camber as the suspension compresses. The upper link travel arc being shorter means as the suspension compresses, the top of the c-hub gets leaned inward, adding camber and traction in the corners.
View attachment 180458

Ahhh. That totally makes sense. Thank you. It's Team Associated so I figured there was a legit reason.

That's some fancy pants suspension. Looks like like the real VW bug front suspension.

Next question is why do you have a grooved tire and a slick?

Nascar in the dirt. Only need it ti steer left. 🤣

I was wondering the same.

Ahhh. That totally makes sense. Thank you. It's Team Associated so I figured there was a legit reason.
You're welcome.
That's some fancy pants suspension. Looks like like the real VW bug front suspension.
Trailing arm suspension is pretty cool. A lot more durable than A-arm suspension also 😉
It was in the middle of me throwing slicks on it. I was showing my son how the suspension worked. The tires aren't glued, so I can swap them out.
20221204_070331.jpg

20221207_161713.jpg

Back