WL Toys 124019 upgrade, why did I do it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakebullett

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I'm not sure why but I'm happy I did it. New stuff on the WL Toys 124019. Out with the stock wheels, arms , turnbuckles, motor, esc, receiver and servo. In with a Surpass F540 45A 4370KV, and an emax servo as well as a radiolink R7FG with gyro and telemetry. New aluminium wheels and some aluminum arms. I'm taking it out tomorrow morning for the first run after the upgrades. Should be sick.

20230218_135026.jpg

20230218_135044.jpg

20230218_135053.jpg

20230218_135010.jpg

I'm not sure why but I'm happy I did it. New stuff on the WL Toys 124019. Out with the stock wheels, arms , turnbuckles, motor, esc, receiver and servo. In with a Surpass F540 45A 4370KV, and an emax servo as well as a radiolink R7FG with gyro and telemetry. New aluminium wheels and some aluminum arms. I'm taking it out tomorrow morning for the first run after the upgrades. Should be sick.

View attachment 160576

View attachment 160577

View attachment 160578

View attachment 160579
Shes sure does have some bling on her!

If I could make a suggestion Id upgrade that 380 sized motor with an actual 540 sized motor. Just my :2cents:

Shes sure does have some bling on her!

If I could make a suggestion Id upgrade that 380 sized motor with an actual 540 sized motor. Just my :2cents:
Yeah I hope to get that shinnyness off tomorrow lol. Very limited on the room for a 540 but yeah, I get it. Bigger is better. Plus this motor esc set up was like 45 bucks so, Good enough for a 1/12 scale china toy :cool:

I like it, I'm about to build one to try and hit 100MPH. They are fun wee cars

Yeah I hope to get that shinnyness off tomorrow lol. Very limited on the room for a 540 but yeah, I get it. Bigger is better. Plus this motor esc set up was like 45 bucks so, Good enough for a 1/12 scale china toy :cool:
Yes, you can fit it, the motor you have now is 540 size can but 380 size. I would go with sensored 4.5 turn motor and hobby wing quick run 120a.

Yes, you can fit it, the motor you have now is 540 size can but 380 size.
☝️THIS!

Anytime you see a 540 size motor with those really deep cooling grooves like yours or like
This 👇
Not a 540 size motor.jpg

Those are 540 size cans but because of how deep the grooves are they can only fit a 380 sized motor in it. Its a marketing gimmick.

A proper 540 size motor will only have shallow cooling fins like
This 👇
540 size motor.jpg

or it will have a smooth can with no ridges at all. Just FYI.

That's good info Greywolf, I appreciate that! I was trying to keep the weight down and this motor was quite a bit lighter than a full size 540. I have a castle mamba on my Emaxx brushless edition just siting there. I might try to stick that in here and see what happens.

That's good info Greywolf, I appreciate that! I was trying to keep the weight down and this motor was quite a bit lighter than a full size 540. I have a castle mamba on my Emaxx brushless edition just siting there. I might try to stick that in here and see what happens.
Modern 2 pole brushless motors are very light, approximately 150 grams, older design maybe around 170g

I gave up on the WLT, this thing just breaks breaks breaks and is a bottomless money sink. Yes if you just drive onroad with no obstacles it should work but the slightest thing you hit you end up with the same stupid repairs and another China order you need to wait for - no more

I guess if I was truly worried about weight, I would not have went with the aluminium arms, right lol? I managed to get 46 mph today. Then, I'm not sure what happened, I must have run over something, hit something, I dunno but, the rear axel cup snapped at the wheel pin hole. I couldn't find the wheel for a while, I got lucky as I was leaving I noticed it about fifty feet away. As for Highsmith's comment, I agree! I ordered a set of supposed hardened steel cv's and shafts and cups, we'll see. I won't continue to repair this thing if it keeps breaking for no real apparent reason.

20230219_105429.jpg

20230219_115638.jpg

I guess if I was truly worried about weight, I would not have went with the aluminium arms, right lol? I managed to get 46 mph today. Then, I'm not sure what happened, I must have run over something, hit something, I dunno but, the rear axel cup snapped at the wheel pin hole. I couldn't find the wheel for a while, I got lucky as I was leaving I noticed it about fifty feet away. As for Highsmith's comment, I agree! I ordered a set of supposed hardened steel cv's and shafts and cups, we'll see. I won't continue to repair this thing if it keeps breaking for no real apparent reason.

View attachment 160653

View attachment 160654
Nice looking buggy, but for what it's worth, aluminum arms are more for bling than anything. Especially on an open wheeled buggy. The first time you have a good wreck, things are going to get bent. It being 1/12 scale it is a little lighter, so that will be easier on parts. But anything bigger than 1/18 and I stay away from a lot of the aluminum upgrades.

Nice looking buggy, but for what it's worth, aluminum arms are more for bling than anything. Especially on an open wheeled buggy. The first time you have a good wreck, things are going to get bent. It being 1/12 scale it is a little lighter, so that will be easier on parts. But anything bigger than 1/18 and I stay away from a lot of the aluminum upgrades.
Agreed, aluminium parts are heavier and do not flex like plastic. But for the price I paid for the upgrade $18.00, it was worth it. If they break or bend I will simply put the originals back on. I never install aluminium parts for looks or performance, let's be real it truly doesn't help to go from plastic to aluminium, I just enjoy the swap out part of it.

Agreed, aluminium parts are heavier and do not flex like plastic. But for the price I paid for the upgrade $18.00, it was worth it. If they break or bend I will simply put the originals back on. I never install aluminium parts for looks or performance, let's be real it truly doesn't help to go from plastic to aluminium, I just enjoy the swap out part of it.
Swapping in some LC racing shafts stopped the regular snapping for me. I'm running mostly LC racing parts all over mine (I have 3 LC cars too and only buy the LC version of spares & most fit apart from things like bulkheads, diffs and steering servo)

I put a surpass hobby set up 3660/4750kv with matching 60amp ESC fits great under 100 have to get new tires keep looking them on top end

Back