Wiring lipo's directly from female banana receptacle @ battery to ESC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidbert

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I've recently gotten back into RC after several years. I ordered an RC10B6.2D kit as well as electronics and a couple Turnigy Graphene 4600mah "shorty" lipo batteries.

One thing I noticed right away is that the battery's wiring isn't hard wired, and is removable (10ga wiring and 5mm banana plugs, as far as I can tell). I did some searching online and saw it mentioned somewhere that suggested the included wiring is provided solely for charging the lipo, and not for running it in the RC. Would it be inappropriate to solder positive and negative wires directly to the ESC with banana plugs at the opposite end plugged directly into the lipo (no removable connectors in between, such as Deans, XT60, etc)? If I did so, I would probably stagger the wire lengths so as to prevent reversing the polarity when connecting to the battery.

Also, on a side note, if I were to use battery connectors on this RC, or any future RC's, is there any consensus on a preferred connector? I know this is a loaded question as many can have their preferences based on various factors (amperage handling, ease of soldering, popularity, etc). I'm currently running the older style Traxxas connectors on all of my lipo batteries. Most of my electric RC's run on 2S or 3S however I also have a Savage Flux that can run 2 3S batteries. All are using the older Traxxas connectors which seem to have fallen out of favor as an option.

Here is a link to the batteries that I ordered for my kit, for reference. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-4600mah-2s2p-hardcase-shorty-w-5mm-female-bullet-connector.html

Welcome in. Everybody pretty much have there favorite connectors they use just as you have mentioned. I prefer XT90s because they are simple to solder and I haven't had a single issue with them.

Thank you for the input. I'll look into them some more they do seem to be popular. I'll see if I can compare their size vs the XT60 next time I visit my local hobby shop. I do have some smaller RC's (mainly my 1/16 e-revo) that could introduce space constraints.

Regarding the situation with the newer lipo packs that directly receive banana plugs, would it be inappropriate to run wiring directly from the ESC to the battery w/o using a connector (such as the XT60/XT90)? I was thinking by doing so the install would be a little cleaner, and also not potentially introduce resistance due to using a connector.

With those types of connectors "bullet" I believe they are called, you wont use other connectors regardless. Great looking car...

Last edited:
Yeah, those lipo's have the bullet built into them, so you would need to solder those wires directly to your ESC, or solder your own bullets on your ESC wires if they are long enough to reach.

Considering the amount of current you can get through plugs made these days, I doubt it's worth the hassle of soldering/desoldering every time you run the vehicle. If your really concerned, you can go with a plug that is overkill for what you need, like 8mm bullets or XT150's. I have XT90's on everything I run, 3S->6S and they seem to do just fine.

Back