Winter Maxx Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well, thanks to a suggestion from Godale03, I've decided to build myself one killer T-Maxx this winter! (Try not to laugh TOO loud!)

Anyhow, off to a good start. Robmob sold me a chassis with many additional parts and that mad man FastEddy kindly donated a T-Maxx screw kit to trial, so I'll be using those for the build.

I'll post pictures once my lovely (and incredibley LAZY) wife downloads the pictures sitting on the digital camera.

Here's a partial list of parts I'll be using, but am always open to suggestions on alternate part manufacturers. Actually found a great thread from Imbroken from about a year ago when he pulled his Maxx out for some TLC and rattled off some parts, so I'll be using that as a guide (thanks TJ!)

RPM
A-Arms
Axle Carriers
Bulkhead Braces
3-Piece Skid Plate Set

Lunsford
Linkage and Hinge Pin Kit

MIP
Shiny CVD Kit (Front and Rear)
Shiny CVD Kit (Center)

Robinson Racing
Forward-Only Steel Gear Set
Brake Kit

Fastlane
Shock Towers
Chassis Braces

I plan on installing a Hyper .21 8-Port that I have, but I need to find head bolts for it. I think I'll use the RC Limited .21 conversion kit for it as well.

This, obviously, is a starter list. I have no intention of making this a shelf-queen, but want something fairly tough I can bash around with and maybe even race now and again.

Anyhow, I'm off and running! I'll throw some pictures up when I can get the chance.

Monkey man....I hope you have a lot of fun on your build..I did a maxx build up once...By the time I was done i had about 2,500$ in to it.Your off to a good start with the parts you listed..
Rock hounds make great chassie braces.
Great assembly (GA) makes the best bulk head around (7075)$$ but they are well worth it.They make the truck bashable..
Keep your bumper braces stock as well as the bumpers.
Good luck with your build Brother man.

What are you gonna use for bulkheads? If you want something to really toss around I suggest Fastlane. Whether you go bulkless or not their bulkheads are awesome for bashing!

ZANDOR said:
Keep your bumper braces stock as well as the bumpers.

Absolutely! The only problem there are the screws. I actually drilled out my bumper mounts and aluminum bulkheads larger to accept some screws I picked up at lowes. Those babies ain't gonna bend now.. supports and bumpers will absorb nearly all the abuse.

oh btw. I have a .21 conversion kit if you're interested. I had it for sale a while back but it wasn't getting any action. New Era chassis, motor mounts, really heavy duty center driveshafts and outdrives by RC Alloys, throttle linkage and post, RC Solutions spur gear, AND a mint condition body.

Last edited:
A Tmaxx?...hAHahHAhAAAHaAhahaa. dude, your about four years too late!

:jk: Man, good luck with the build, sounds like it should be a nice rig when you git er done!

I'd suggest some RCS spring steel skids instead of the RPM skids. If you mount a rubber grommet behind them on the bulks, it can take a large impact unscathed.

I used GH bulkhead braces. They have a hole in the center that works well for the grommet mount.

What do ya got planned for clutch/flywheel? Not $13 Integy huh? lol

Have fun with the build.. I know the t-maxx gets alot of flak but I still like my 2 cyber's. I second the RCS spring steel skids. Also the Werks clutch works good.

i noticed wannarunem had a t-maxx cage for sale a few days ago. he had a good price on it if your looking for a cage.

personaly i wouldnt touch a maxx with a 20ft stick, but it sounds like a fun project!

Monkey Wrench said:
I've decided to build myself one killer T-Maxx this winter! (Try not to laugh TOO loud!)

For some strange reason I started wanting another Maxx too. I have been driving my sons Sport Maxx quite a bit latly and I like it.....A LOT! I think I miss having that monster truck look and the goofy handling that comes with it LOL Looks like your off to a great start, enjoy your build brother!

And hurry up with those pics (colts)

The one thing I loved about the Maxx was how easy it was to work on. Everything is easily accessible.

Well, the project is going a bit slower than I would like, but the winter is just now starting, so I guess I shouldn't be too upset! I'm just itching to get something worth taking a picture of, but right now it's just a chassis, some killer RPM Clawz (thanks RobMob) and a couple servos (thanks FastEddy).

I'm stuck deciding on the bulkheads. I'm between General Assembly and FastLane, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please, share them. I need those first, frankly, because everything hangs off those.

I'll try to get some pictures of the "where I'm at now" phase.

Here's a pic of how my linkages are laid out. I'll try to take a better pic tomorrow for ya..

DSC01613.jpg

Have you checked out the RC Solutions bulkheads? I have them on my maxx and have had zero problems with them. They are very nice, you might want to look in to a set of those.

NCNitro said:
Have you checked out the RC Solutions bulkheads? I have them on my maxx and have had zero problems with them. They are very nice, you might want to look in to a set of those.

I liked the GA but they are on the heavy side...if you really want trick get the FLM 1/8 scale bulkless setup....T-maxx gearsets aren't the greatest and you actually save money on the diffs since you can use 7.5(kyosho style) or OFNA/GS/CEN/ and a whole other slew of cheap 1/8 scale diffs that are less expensive than a RRP set of Rings for the maxx......and they are stronger too...pay alil more for the bulks and zero for the maxx aluminum diff housings and get better diff gears w/ 4 spider gears and larger cases that you can tune with oil...HMMMMMMM sounds like a no brainer on that one to me......
buggybulks_sm.jpg

140 for the set on fastlane's site
figure the BH's are gonna be 80 then the diff cases are another 50 you're almost there

Last edited:
NC, do they make front bulks as well? Their site is only listing the rears, but I really like what I'm seeing there so far!

Thanks a bunch, fellas! Good stuff! Got some research and reading to do, for sure!

MW, go with the 1/8 scale diff setup. You will be most pleased if you did.

When I had a maxx, the diffs were always frying on me. After spending about $100 a diff (aluminum housing, diff cup, modified ring gear), they would still only last about a gallon or so before the cup would get worn and burn up gears again. That was a weak 21 maxx with an OS 21 RG in it. Plus, I was forced to use grease instead of silicone oil.

FLM makes them: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM18700&cat=31

Go with a decent diff and you won't have to worry about it. My only suggestion would be to drill/tap for set screws to keep your hinge pins from rotating. That way the wear goes against the RPM arms instead of the $120 diff/bulkhead combo.

OK folks, could use your opinions before I make my move here.

I'm looking at these bulkheads to put into my T-Maxx project (and I know I owe pictures).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I've seen American CNC Machining products before in my LHS, but have never used their stuff, so I'm wondering if anyone has and, if so, what your thoughts were.

I know some have suggested the FLM 1/8th bulks, but I'm thinking of not going with a BB, so that would be a tad overkill from a pricing standpoint.

I'm also thinking RD Logics and Great Assembly as well.

Any input on the ACNCM bulks appreciated!

I don't have them but $50 bones for both the front & rear sets is a good deal. However, them throwing in SS hinge pins is pretty much worthless.. If you want a solid basher you absolutely must get Ti hinge pins. Still a good deal and at least you'd have backup hinges...

BTW, I was comparing prices.. and check out the redesigned shock towers from FLM.. holy cow!
http://www.fastlanemachine.com/PublicPortal/Products/TMaxx/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Back