Windows 8.1 & IE 11

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasCS

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
A 'bit' surprised by this latest new trial OS. It came so soon.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wind...tening-to-Users-Microsoft-Claims-363879.shtml

My 10mbs may take this download/update awhile or more to finish.
But I'm really looking forward to seeing the new homepage desktop and enjoying several of the many new apps. It's nice that the Start button has been reissued, but it doesn't bring up the old menu tha we all got used to using since Windows 98 was released upon us. Hahaha

The new much improved Internet Explorer 11 should also bring some unexpected enjoyment to the big picture...

Microsoft has finally launched Windows 8.1 Preview, so most Windows 8 adopters are now getting ready to install this first major update for their operating system.

According to the official FAQ published by Microsoft after the opening BUILD keynote, you need 16 GB of free space if you want to install the 32-bit version of the operating system and up to 20 GB for the 64-bit release.

Paradoxically, some of our computers can’t be updated to Windows 8.1 Preview because of insufficient hard disk space, even though some have more than 50 GB of free space.

Here are all system requirements for Windows 8.1 Preview, as they have been provided to us by Microsoft:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

As far as Windows RT is concerned, the Windows 8.1 Preview update requires 10 GB of free storage space.

My old computer has a miniscule 13GB hardrive. Smile

Chas

The Big Event

I didn't see the point of creating a new thread for this.

While watching the two hour streaming video again on my iPad before going to sleep last night, I was still quite impressed by the announcement of iOS7 and OS X Mavericks.

http://www.apple.com/ca/apple-events/june-2013/

It seems to me that the current computer age has really become something
to behold. What a marvelous time to enjoy all the benefits of the present day offerings.

There are some amazing new features I'll look forward to appreciating soon.

Chas

Yeah... being in software QA, this just means a whole new suite of test scenarios and staffing to do it... yay software...

Oh, a wise guy eh??

We used to laugh at people like you back in the day.
We called you NERDS and other choice names. pointing at your geeky pen holders and horn rimmed glasses...

Now we bow down to your brilliance and wealth of pertinent computer lingo and knowledge... thanks!!

Chas

Well for me IE11 is yet another lackluster version of a browser that I have to develop around and cause me headaches. Its funny how IE has more r&d cash than any other browser yet its always been the furthest behind mainstream technology. As a web developer I loathe new versions of IE as everyone requires separate tweaks of the same code to comply with the last 4-5 versions. Pure rubbish I say!

If Microsoft would fall off the earth (literally all of them) the world would be a better place.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I hear you synnyzter. My company still supports IE8 because we have 300+ laptops that travel to trade shows as data entry machines... guess what OS they are running, XP.

So, when I look at one of the new "cutting edge" sites our marketing team pukes out, then go open it on a dual core P4 with 2G ram and xp/ie8, it grinds to a halt trying to render all the ajax and javascript garbage. Then chrome and ff on the same machine render it just as clean and nearly as fast as my i7/10G/SSD/W7 machine does with the same versions of chrome/ff. IE9 is better, but considering the resource difference, I don't know if it's resources making ie9 faster or if IE9 is just faster. Can't tell... won't run on xp and w7 won't run worth a crap on a machine that isn't stacked up pretty high anyway.

Cursed browsers...

Yes ie9 processes JS more efficiently but ie8 is pure garbage. I imagine 11 will finally fully support css3, it freaking better cause I'm sick of stacking up "else" statements to load code depending on what crappy version of ie a person is using. Your web developers clearly failed to do that which is like web dev 101...they need to find a new career lol. I do however get why they didn't, it sucks.

Could have been better

I am pretty satisfied with the update so far, even with a few changes that came unexpected.
IE 11 crashed my Outlook, so now I'm using Windows Live.

There are a few other short comings, but nothing too drastic.
Chrome is needed for a few sites.

It sure bets Fortran and ticker tape like punch cards... Smile

Chas

Last edited:
Your web developers clearly failed to do that which is like web dev 101...they need to find a new career lol. I do however get why they didn't, it sucks.

Dev 101 type stuff is thought of as jokes at my office... about 80% of the time, I'm given things to test/QA and it won't even render on ie8/9/10 because dev built it in FF or chrome... even though IE is what we tell our clients to use with our apps and some of our apps flat out require IE because they were intended as in house apps only. But as with any company that makes tools for themselves... throw some extra security on it and limit it some and walla! Clients have tools too!

Anyway... another browser that does more only adds another entire level of regression I have to test for. Which sucks.

Well there in lies the bullshit battle we face due to lack of standards. Quite frankly it pisses me off and makes peoples lives harder like u and me. What we need to do is adopt a single kernel (engine) and let the companies fight over the small stuff like faster rendering or software processing. In which case Google would win but that's besides the point lol.

I love developing but I hate the fact that I have to do so in a cross platform manor. Much like game devs have to code for all the consoles. Ruins my damn day.

And yes some js pages only render in ie and that's older poop code.

---------- Post added at 1:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:30 AM ----------

Dev 101 type stuff is thought of as jokes at my office... about 80% of the time, I'm given things to test/QA and it won't even render on ie8/9/10 because dev built it in FF or chrome... even though IE is what we tell our clients to use with our apps and some of our apps flat out require IE because they were intended as in house apps only. But as with any company that makes tools for themselves... throw some extra security on it and limit it some and walla! Clients have tools too!

Anyway... another browser that does more only adds another entire level of regression I have to test for. Which sucks.

What you need to do is fire all those bonehead 1990's devs and hire me lol.

The Price of Using a Swiss Design Watches for iOS: $ 21 Million

I thought a few of you might get a kick out of this interesting little tidbit...

I know I got a charge out of learning this...

Many were glad to see the clock application landed on the iPad with the arrival of iOS 6, but the Swiss Federal Railways should not make much grace that will use the same design that we see in train stations in Switzerland. The company sent their complaints to Cupertino and after a series of dialogues, it seems that Apple has agreed to pay $ 21 million in exchange for permission to use clock designs Swiss.

There are 20 million Swiss francs, to be exact. All rights go to the railway company, which has outstanding talk to the original designer Mondaine to see if it also takes some of that money. The watchmaker has been pleased just because Apple is catching design worldwide, and now calls for recognition as a party to all this with a fraction of those 21 million.

So far neither Apple nor the railways of Switzerland have confirmed anything, although there are several sources that leaked the same figure. We’re not talking about a sum of money to the coffers of Apple billionaire, but is enough that the next time will think twice or previously talk with officials of a design before using it widely and reach agreement a priori and not a posteriori .

Hahaha, time to smarten up Apple!,,,.

I love my clocks app, all set up for a dozen different metropolitan areas of the globe.

Chas

Apple is always doing dumb poop. Moron directors.

iPad for dummies hahaha

Hehehe, I could live on half of that $21 M! Smile

I wonder what the next genius moves will be??

Chas

Mistreat more Asian workers probably or pay them even less...

Bringing it home

But if memory serves, the next wave of Apple products are going to be manufactured and assemblerd over here, in N America. I thought I heard...

I don't know if they will duplicate the slave quarters and compound... Smile

Chas

I hate apple as much as a person can hate something. The billions they have and the treatment those people get makes me sick.

I still see Asia involved somehow...

Oh, the debate

You can dislike the SOB's all you like, but one thing is clearly evident, and you can certainly disagree.

Apple make very fine products, that don't seem to have all the continuous problems and ever ongoing updates associated with Microsoft, from Windows 98 forward... I only have my iPad 3 to go on, but it has worked flawless from day one.
Apps are pretty cool too, with literally thousands of free ones, many that don't have in app upgrades and purchases.

Check this little gadget out.
http://www.thetileapp.com/

I have encountered a glitch several times, rendering a still pic while operating my . Needing to close the app and restart it.
Ah, that cost me an $1800 aircraft to crash in the desert sand.
Smile and hit reset...

And yet I'm still willing to give the XBox One a chance...

Chas

Last edited:
Measure Photons Cubits: First Step Towards The Quantum Computer

This should help propel the computer world to a new higher level of computing...

A group of Canadian researchers have been able to directly measure the polarization states of photons. Representing a breakthrough in understanding the phenomenon of superposition of cubits the basic unit of processing in the race to create the first quantum computer.

Canadian researchers have made the first step towards building the first quantum computer, to be able to measure the polarization states of photons , the basic unit of measurement for the cubit an essential data unit (theoretically) for the design of a system that can process information in a much more complex and advanced than the current binary.

The experiment was conducted in a laboratory of Ottawa, has been published in the journal Nature Phonics , was based on the analysis of isolated light particles , resulting in “the first direct quantification that are applicable to the cubits the fundamental unit for quantum information, “according to the study itself, co-authored by a team of researchers from the Universities of Ottawa and Rochester, led by Jeff Salvail and Robert Boyd , who signed the document.

Salvail sees the results of his research as a scientific breakthrough that even bring a new perspective to the dilemma of Schrondinger Cat , one of the basic paradoxes of quantum theory and the parallel universes. Since in the case of the qubits, the particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously , thanks to overlap factor:

To fully determine a quantum state, which is usually described by complex numbers, currently must be performed multiple measurements in different identical copies of the system. However, direct measurement of a quantum system is based on the dim calculation technique: as little information extracting a single measurement of the system status does not collapse or change. I can not say that we are reaching the limits of uncertainty, because in the field of quantum mechanics, there is no way around it, to explain these things in words is a risk of losing the subtleties that are captured in the mathematical expression of the theory.
Broadly speaking, modern computers based structure their information using binary code, by ones and zeros that make them in bits, as the basic unit of data. In the case of quantum computers , their processing base would qubits or quantum bits, whose qualities could represent a great potential for processing from its small scale, thanks to the phenomenon of superposition , where a qubit could simultaneously be one and zero, and of link where two qubits can remain connected even when they are separated. What in theory offer the possibility of sustaining a comprehensive and flexible platform for variable data processing at extraordinary speed, with a nearly infinite source.

Chas

Last edited:
The Canadians did it!!?? Lol jk chas :p well mainstream is decades away... but its groovy none the less!

Time for changes

Yeah, we finally broke through...

It could be a major game changer of the future...
Much like the already available flexible Lithium-Ion battery.

Last August we mentioned about flexible lithium-ion battery , created by researchers in Korea, and the connection of such an achievement with flexible devices that aspires to launch the Samsung (with flexible screens Youm ) was inevitable.

Now, another educational institution in the country (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology) announced the creation of flexible and printed lithium-ion battery, which proves that the era of flexible devicesis closer than you thought.

The flexible batteries (and monitors) can solve the hands of designers to create novel devices without the limitations of “hard” materials of the past. Specifically for batteries used nanomaterials that can be applied to any surface to create polymeric electrolytes greater stability than conventional rechargeable batteries.

Furthermore, it is safer than the current lithium ion batteries, as they use liquid-state electrolytes separated by a thin film, which can melt due to overheating resulting in contact with the positive electrode and the negative to be explosion.

The future promises to be bright and designers, engineers, manufacturers will have to let their imaginations free.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qws9XeKW3ws"]Flexible Battery - YouTube[/ame]

Chas

Back