Win 10 upgrade, runs slow and hot now..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My laptop is about 3 years old, an Asus R510D with amd A-10 quad core 2.5 MHz, 8gb ram and originally windows 8. Either last summer or the year before, that bespeckled nerd, Bill Gates and his minions tricked me into installing windows 10. You know the ol "it won't be free after next week.." trick. Anyway, since the upgrade it has been painfully slow. It locks up on Yahoo, chows through the battery in 15 minutes and blows just scalding hot air out the vent. I have tried for a year to figure out what is drawing the power. Task manager shows lots of things using a few percent here and there but nothing is pegging the processor. I installed 'core temp' and found out it's running 190-210, so not too hot, but it's definitely wasting too much power. I installed adblockplus yesterday which helped tremendously with the slowness on Yahoo and others with streaming ads, but it's still wasting power. Any ideas, besides reverting to win 8?

I installed 'core temp' and found out it's running 190-210, so not too hot,
"Not too hot" - says who?

That's way to hot. Ideally you want your CPU operating in the 100-150. Look again inside of Task Manager and see what your CPU load currently is, you can see that under the "Performance" tab.

First thing I'd do would be to power off the laptop and grab a can of compressed air or take the laptop out to the air compressor and blow out the main vents on the laptop. If you have dogs/cats and/or smoke you could have a lot of hair or tar built up around the fan(s).

The heat and fan's constantly trying to keep it cool is killing your battery for sure.

My work laptop runs w10. I've upgraded my wife's and my father in law's laptops to w10 as well. I'm not noticing any performance loss at all vs w7 that was on both of them originally. Laptops do tend to run warmer than desktops. My work laptop gets up to 88-90c, but it did that when I had w7 on it too. It's a pretty powerful machine though as far as older laptops go, 4 core i7-4800mq. I don't run on battery much. On occasion, I'll take it to a meeting that will be an hour or more and it usually lasts through that. My wife and father in laws are both i5's dual cores. My wife's is an i5-2520m and it gets up to 78C on a normal day. They both also keep there's plugged in pretty much always.

Which AMD A10 is it? Seems there are quite a few variations of it. Like with the intel i5 or i7. There are a crapton of variations of both of those.

Could just be that you need to take out the heatsink/fan and clean it then put on new cpu/video thermal paste. I've been thinking of doing that on my work PC. My wife and father in laws were both refurb units and I did that on both of those before I started messing with them. Figured with as hot as laptops tend to run, new thermal paste and a clean fan/cpu cooler would be a good starting point.

I would also say to back up your data and try and a clean install of Windows 10 after trying the other ideas. In the newest version that is currently rolling out they have a tool that helps get rid of bloatware.

I've been running Win 10 on older Dell with an i5 that originally ran Win 7 and have no real problems with it.

I have seen disc clean ups clash and do exactly what you are describing. One program puts the files in a certain place, another in another place and they fought each other violently! It was like when my grandfather would turn the heat and the a.c. all the way up and then see which one would win! Simply shutting one of the programs down ended the issue. This was a few Windows versions back tho... No idea if such a thing is still possible with these versions. Just a thought

Thanks for the ideas. It is a puzzle. TM shows the cpu running at 3 to 5% constantly, which should not be enough to explain the power draw and heat. I wonder if it could be a conflict with the video drivers. I probably will do a clean install of the latest win 10 next.

Joy! I installed Firefox - it's much smoother and faster, no lockups, and core temp now runs140-145F. Microsoft can go pound sand..