Will a K4.6 run okay with an O.S. #8 airplane glow plug?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthebob

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My stock glow plug died today. Not sure why, it still looks silver it just stopped glowing. I had bought an OS medium car plug (P5 T series) but it is too big for the glow plug hole, apparently it's for a larger glow plug hole :(. So the only other plug I had was a #8 (medium) for planes. I got the engine started with it but it was acting weird, sounding very lean in mid range and very prone to stalling. I tried richening my HSN and then leaned my LSN a bit and it ran okay but still would occasionally start sounding really lean and suddenly quit. Is this just not a good plug to use at all, or can I tune for it? Really annoyed the new OS plug didn't fit. I wanted to get a hotter HPI plug since winter is coming but couldn't find one in stock. Guess I should order another cold (stock) plug in the mean time since that's the one I tuned and broke in on.

Okay if anyone ever does read this, looks like the reason the engine was running really lean is that I had a nick in my fuel line. Not sure exactly when that happened but apparently on the last run before the glow plug died. I read up more on the O.S. #8 and it is supposed to be "all purpose", so hopefully I can just keep using it once I re tune properly.

My stock glow plug died today. Not sure why, it still looks silver it just stopped glowing. I had bought an OS medium car plug (P5 T series) but it is too big for the glow plug hole, apparently it's for a larger glow plug hole :(. So the only other plug I had was a #8 (medium) for planes. I got the engine started with it but it was acting weird, sounding very lean in mid range and very prone to stalling. I tried richening my HSN and then leaned my LSN a bit and it ran okay but still would occasionally start sounding really lean and suddenly quit. Is this just not a good plug to use at all, or can I tune for it? Really annoyed the new OS plug didn't fit. I wanted to get a hotter HPI plug since winter is coming but couldn't find one in stock. Guess I should order another cold (stock) plug in the mean time since that's the one I tuned and broke in on.

I've run a lot of Byron's 20/12 fuel, with OS #8 plug, through my K4.6 with no problems. ;)

The OS #8 is just a standard medium temp plug I think. Should be fine in most engines that don't use turbo or long plugs.

Thanks, Got the fuel line replaced and after that I ran around the engine was running the best it's ever run I think. Sounded great and had better top end than average :). Then I tore a brake pad. Joy.

Thanks, Got the fuel line replaced and after that I ran around the engine was running the best it's ever run I think. Sounded great and had better top end than average :). Then I tore a brake pad. Joy.
You're welcome. Good job finding and fixing your air leak :thumbs-up:

Yeah the brake died early in my run but I just took it to the park wheres theres grass and dirt to slow me down hehe! Looks like the new brake set arrives on saturday from e-bay. Hopefully it lasts longer the second time. I think I may have stripped one of the screw holes for the bottom screw that holds the pad/disk sandwich though :( I should probably go find that brake thread again.

Back