why is my engine running so hot?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:D lmao

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I'm running a stock revo 3.3 with optimix 16% fuel

I'm running my engine relatively rich and a whole bunch of blue smoke is visible during the acceleration, so i assume that everything should be theoretically fine apart from the fact that the temp was at 280f, i tried richening the needles but any more will just make it boogie af.
(I've already cut out my whole windscreen and side windows to help with cooling but obviously no effect)
(temperature outside were about 20°)

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the higher nitro content, the cooler it runs. I understand you may not have acvess to higher percent of fuel, but everything adds up.

When you "lower" the needels, do you mean lean? That I'm certain would make it worse.

How fast are you going and are you shifting into second?

I have exactly the same problem running also on 16% fuel.. love living in Europe. 🤦🏼‍♂️I’ve got the advice to change my glowplug in a hot short one. But didn’t had the change to test that yet

If I'm not mistaken, the higher nitro content, the cooler it runs. I understand you may not have acvess to higher percent of fuel, but everything adds up.

When you "lower" the needels, do you mean lean? That I'm certain would make it worse.

How fast are you going and are you shifting into second?
i mean richen sorry lol
btw i was going 45 before the sec gear engages
but do I really need to care about temperature so much?

In my experience ,a very rich setting only makes the engine work harder ,in
theory ,it is more that the engine has to compress which puts more strain
on it!..😎

In my experience ,a very rich setting only makes the engine work harder ,in
theory ,it is more that the engine has to compress which puts more strain
on it!..😎
u know fu*k it no concerns about the temps anymore, let it run on 270+ for what ever i don't give sh*t anymore:)

u know fu*k it no concerns about the temps anymore, let it run on 270+ for what ever i don't give sh*t anymore:)

I know that that engine runs hot ,but I am researching now to see what maybe creating the
heat an what can be done to combat it!..:thumbs-up:

I know that that engine runs hot ,but I am researching now to see what maybe creating the
heat an what can be done to combat it!..:thumbs-up:
just do it

I'm running a stock revo 3.3 with optimix 16% fuel

I'm running my engine relatively rich and a whole bunch of blue smoke is visible during the acceleration, so i assume that everything should be theoretically fine apart from the fact that the temp was at 280f, i tried richening the needles but any more will just make it boogie af.
(I've already cut out my whole windscreen and side windows to help with cooling but obviously no effect)
(temperature outside were about 20°)
You can't run the stock plugs.. you got to get the hot glow plugs for it to run 16% has it will run ot if not

What I seen is ,the lower the nitro count ,you might need to remove a head shim to
change the timing ,an less nitro may need to run leaner ,if it is high oil content ,then
the engine will work harder an so you will have to lean it out!.. 😎

Screenshot_20210810-184329_Google.jpg

just do it
"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs
I have exactly the same problem running also on 16% fuel.. love living in Europe. 🤦🏼‍♂️I’ve got the advice to change my glowplug in a hot short one. But didn’t had the change to test that yet
"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs
What I seen is ,the lower the nitro count ,you might need to remove a head shim to
change the timing ,an less nitro may need to run leaner ,if it is high oil content ,then
the engine will work harder an so you will have to lean it out!.. 😎
"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs.

Exactly ,but if it is high oil content fuel ,that could be creating the heat as well ,
an LC3 plug is a hotter plug that he needs because of the lower nitro content .
in which he did not mention how much oil content that is in the fuel!
What I am saying ,did they match the oil content up with the percentage
of nitro ,it is the nitro that helps keep the engine cool ,not the oil!

Exactly ,but if it is high oil content fuel ,that could be creating the heat as well ,
an LC3 plug is a hotter plug that he needs because of the lower nitro content .
in which he did not mention how much oil content that is in the fuel!
What I am saying ,did they match the oil content up with the percentage
of nitro ,it is the nitro that helps keep the engine cool ,not the oil!
Agreed sir 👍👍👍 all the oil does is lube it. But they are running with stock plugs I'm sure. Especiallygetting 270-309° which is border line blowing motor. Should be 240-260 270 tops. And that's still a little hot. those trx engines. Are made to run no less then 20% with the medium plugs. That's come stock.. unfortunately they live other side of pond..and can only get 16% which sucks.. sad to say the hobby shop should have told them this....

Agreed sir 👍👍👍 all the oil does is lube it. But they are running with stock plugs I'm sure. Especiallygetting 270-309° which is border line blowing motor. Should be 240-260 270 tops. And that's still a little hot. those trx engines. Are made to run no less then 20% with the medium plugs. That's come stock.. unfortunately they live other side of pond..and can only get 16% which sucks.. sad to say the hobby shop should have told them this....

You can run zero nitro ,but you have to pull a shim ,run it way lean an use the hot plug!..:thumbs-up:

View attachment 130723

"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs.
thks imma head getting a hotter plug:)
You can run zero nitro ,but you have to pull a shim ,run it way lean an use the hot plug!..:thumbs-up:
idk man the trx 3.3 only has one shim which is for sealing so that the head won't leak, not sure if i will remove it...

My TRX 2.5 engine (which sits on a shelf these days) was notoriously hot. I richened it to get it down around 240-250, but when at optimal performance it was hitting 270 routinely, and definitely too hot. Some people told me to change the carb, I just wound up switching engines.

If my 2.5 runs hot today and can't get it to cool down then that will make up my mind to convert the Tmax to electric. ;)

My TRX 2.5 engine (which sits on a shelf these days) was notoriously hot. I richened it to get it down around 240-250, but when at optimal performance it was hitting 270 routinely, and definitely too hot. Some people told me to change the carb, I just wound up switching engines.
Running 20% with the stock or a medium plug?? because they are running 16%.. the TRX 2.5. Or the 3.3 both Mahe to run 240-260. With 20%. Not running 16%.. the riching really doesn't help that much with bringing down temps... AND the carbs do nothing for a motor for temps... its a really tiny motor..its only for mixing fuel and air.... its a carb...

https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs
If my 2.5 runs hot today and can't get it to cool down then that will make up my mind to convert the Tmax to electric. ;)
Your on this side of pond... you can get the 20%-33% nitro and can run the stick med or a cold and your temps should be fine.. 240-260.. 270 maybe at optimal performance. But if running the rite plug/fuel... you'll be fine bud

Running 20% with the stock or a medium plug?? because they are running 16%.. the TRX 2.5. Or the 3.3 both Mahe to run 240-260. With 20%. Not running 16%.. the riching really doesn't help that much with bringing down temps... AND the carbs do nothing for a motor for temps... its a really tiny motor..its only for mixing fuel and air.... its a carb...

https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

Your on this side of pond... you can get the 20%-33% nitro and can run the stick med or a cold and your temps should be fine.. 240-260.. 270 maybe at optimal performance. But if running the rite plug/fuel... you'll be fine bud
☝️Agree

Back