Why hide your license plate?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It seems that while posting pics of their vehicles for whatever reason everyone wants to hide the license plate number....WHY? Everyone driving near you can see it so why is it so important to hide it in a pic?

Maybe guys done want people to know where they live assuming the plate can be used to find out.

I think Rob's right. All it takes is to know someone in LE or someone that has some hacking skills to obtain the necessary info and then they have your home address, etc.

Yet 99% of them forget that unless turned off, their camera phone (which I will say that almost all pictures were taken with) uses a geo tag on the photo.

I hide it so Apline can't look up my address. And yes, GPS is turned off on the phone so pics are tagged. :D

I was going to mention that it was to keep Alpine and his brothers-in-blue from visiting them.

1000's of people see it when your driving down the road and any of them can use it to find info about you......what's the difference?

Um....hmmm, depends would rather have 1000 people looking at your plate, or 100,000,000.

I travel pretty much the same route/places in my personal vehicles, and if I'm playing the odds right, I'm going to say you've got less of a chance (though not impossible) to find a seriously demented person in the group of a 1000 people, than in the group 100,000,000. Especially if the 1000 are you own community.

This is just my thoughts from my gated community, since people of other regions don't really go unnoticed here, everyone is native, or métis.

I'm just saying there was one instance when a guy was looking to buy a truck off me, and he must have asked more than a few people about me, I was getting cell phone photos of the guy from like 6 different people.

Info like address and simple personal info is very easy to get for people who know how to get it.....I don't know how. Some of you might remember when I was scammed by eBay and one of it's upstanding members for $400. A friend (who is not in law enforcement) gave me the name, address, previous address, place of employment, where they went to high school, the weight class he wrestled in when they were in high school just from an eBay user name! He also had his SS# and credit score but did not give those to me for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
The internet is a scary place. an IP address, phone number, hell just a first and last name can bring up so much that a "regular" person with google can find.

Obviously he ad access at work for credit reference information.

This 100%. @SMaxxin please lets not go into any more detail about said person or issue for the sheer protection of said person who supplied you that info.

That said, you driving around town and posting on the internet is to vastly different things. First the chances of someone driving around town looking to single you out and gather information is probably low. While on the internet it's probably much much higher as the net is full of people looking to grab your information for one reason or another.

That said I'm required by law to make my plate visible while driving so I must comply. On the net, I am not and thus don't particularly care to share that info.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: