Which spur gear clutch bell combo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy88

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all I have a stock x4.6 savage which I have fitted a XL chassis, wheels and shell to. Now it doesn't want to wheelie. What clutch bell and spur gear do people use? Obv as its stock it has a 17t clutch bell and 47t spur.

Thanks

stock XL is 16t(vented) with a 52t(steel) and go from there

So I'm best off fitting what the XL has stock?

Stock is a good place to start and then you just experiment around which different sizes of spurs and maybe clutchbells to find what suits you best. If you're just concerned with pulling wheelies then you need more torque or possibly a more aggressive tread pattern on your tires. In order to get more Torque you can either increase the size of your spur or decrease the size of your clutchbell.

What size spur can I combine with the most clutch bells? As I rather keep 1 spur on then just change clutchbells. So shall I get a 52 or 47t spur? I'd rather top speed tbh but I wud miss the wheelies

Well you said you were already running the 47T so Id try the 52. If they have any that are bigger Id probably get 2 or 3 different sizes and play around with them. Spurs are generally only a few bucks ea.

What combos could I use with 47t? I currently have. 17t clutch bell as its stock

You can use whatever combo you want. As long as the Spur is made for the savage and you can shim up the clutchbell so it fits on the shaft then you're good. If your asking on what combo to use to get the XL to wheelie i can't help ya there, I dont own an XL.

the 16t/52t combo is for the bigger tires the Xl has, would guess it equates to the same as the 17t/47t combo on the X chassis with stock tires. dont forget, if you plan on running a steel spur or an aluminum clutch, you need to also run a vented clutch bell.
I'm not a wheelie person either.I'd rather spend my time smashing into stuff than flopping my truck back on its wheels over and over.

Me too, you can't appreciate the power of your rig through willies, for me I really try not to willies cause you will loose ground or grip. That's only my opinion and my driving style where I can enjoy most.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

and just to remind you, xl has different gears in their trans, they got 3speed.

My friend just changed his savage X 4.6 gears to 19/52 and says it doesn't wheelie lime it did when he had a 17/49 combo. But he is still running stock X chassis and tranny. So maybe the 17/49 will work for what you want.

Well I have only just finished breaking mine in. Done about 11 tanks running so rich. Gonna lean out the HSN followed by the LSN tomorrow and see how the stock 17/47 is after I tuned the engine

I would suggest going to a 16t clutchbell. It will allow you more spur gear choices. The 17t will not fit the 52t spur. It's more convenient to change spur gears than it is to change clutch bells.

Could I use the 16t with my current 47 spur? Would it make top speed less but improve acceleration

You wont see much difference between a 16T and a 17T but yes you can use a 16T and yes it will decrease your top speed a smidgeon and increase acceleration/torque a smidgeon.

Well tbh there isn't many places round here I can use full top speed so mayb a 14 or 15t wud be better so atleast I can use acceleration more than I could with my current 17t

the cheaper thing to try would be a bigger spur. They are much cheaper than clutchbells.

Seeing as my savage is pretty much a XL now bar the engine. What would a good gearing be for awesome acceleration? As I don't really use too speed it's more for short bursts of speed up to jumps. But as I'm using the stock x engine 4.6 it has a 17/47 gearing atm. What would a 17/49 be like?

what clutch bell should i use with a 52t spur gear

Hey all I have a stock x4.6 savage which I have fitted a XL chassis, wheels and shell to. Now it doesn't want to wheelie. What clutch bell and spur gear do people use? Obv as its stock it has a 17t clutch bell and 47t spur.

Thanks
Tighten your spur gear a little

Tighten your spur gear a little a it will pull all the wheelies you want

16 bell or 15

Last edited:
Back