Which hudy bearing removal tool

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kb6959

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to buy Hudy Ultimate Engine Tool Kit to remove the engine bearing on a revo 3.3 engine

The bearing sizes are
7 x 17 x 5 METRIC
12 x 21 x 5 METRIC

My question is which size and adapters do I need to purchase?

There is the .12 and .21 then the adapters.

Just not sure which to buy.

Thanks

Are you trying to get a bearing out that's stuck? If so, you might want to try the "heat and smack" method to remove it.

I just used a toaster oven the few times I had stuck bearings. To put new bearings back in, I'd put the bearings in the freezer for a while until icy cold, then I'd heat the crank case up to 300F. While the bearings were still cold and the crankcase was hot, I'd put the bearings back in, then let the temps normalize and put a few drops of after run oil on the bearings before reassembling.

Using those kevlar "ov gloves" really helped so you could have dexterity to hold onto the crank case when whacking it on a board after heating or holding it while installing the chilled bearings.

I got the rear bearing out using this method.

But the front bearing failed and the only thing left in the crankcase is the outershell of the bearing.

So there isn't anyway to smack it out with the wooden pole.

I got the rear bearing out using this method.

But the front bearing failed and the only thing left in the crankcase is the outershell of the bearing.

So there isn't anyway to smack it out with the wooden pole.

You mean that the bearings an enter reese is gone ,an the only thing left is the outer reese that is
stuck?
If so ,then there is nothing for anything to grab on to!
The only thing that you can do is to try to heat it back up ,an pry it out with screw driver or
punch it out with a big round punch that gets smaller at the end!

You mean that the bearings an enter reese is gone ,an the only thing left is the outer reese that is
stuck?

yes :(

I have tried prying it out when hot. Still couldnt get it out. Also tried socking in wd40 to see if that helps. But doesn't.

My last hope is, I've JB Weld a washer onto it. Will leave it to set for a day. Then try the heat again.

If that doesn't work, then I'll buy a new crankcase.

yes :(

I have tried prying it out when hot. Still couldnt get it out. Also tried socking in wd40 to see if that helps. But doesn't.

My last hope is, I've JB Weld a washer onto it. Will leave it to set for a day. Then try the heat again.

If that doesn't work, then I'll buy a new crankcase.

LOL....I never thought about JB weld ,that might work ,what engine is it ,some times I see the crank cases all
the time on E-bay for a few bucks?

LOL....I never thought about JB weld ,that might work ,what engine is it

Ya. It should be ok with the heat and may just last long enough to give me something to grip.

Engine is the trx 3.3. I spotted a crankcase for $27 shipped. Which isnt too bad.

Ya. It should be ok with the heat and may just last long enough to give me something to grip.

Engine is the trx 3.3. I spotted a crankcase for $27 shipped. Which isnt too bad.

Ah ,yea ,I seen a ton of 3,3's on Flea bay!
Through my over 20 yrs in RC-ing ,I've never replaced engine block bearings ,but have had to replace
bearings before in other applications ,I know what its like to try to get a reese out ,I struggled on the
aluminum steering knuckles on my MT. ,Its a SOB with out buggering up the part!
But sense its the engine ,it is vital that you don't scar the block ,but if you do ,you might can just smear
a little high heat RTV on the outer part of the bearing.

Well, if you could catch just the race at an angle with a finish nail punch, you might be able to fold the race into itself. They are hardened steel and snap when compressed, vs bend. Probably a last resort. I've had to do that with wheel hub bearings before. You just have to be careful not to mar up the crankcase itself.

So the JB Weld and a washer didnt work :( I think the heat softened it up a little.

I will try the finish nail punch later in the week. If that fails it's a new casing.

Back