Which generation is Losi 8 t RTR?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk490

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I think it is 3.0, is that correct? I am ordering a bearing kit from Avid and would like some confirmation on that. I'd appreciate pointers on which bearings to get. Thank you for reading.

I think it is 3.0, is that correct? I am ordering a bearing kit from Avid and would like some confirmation on that. I'd appreciate pointers on which bearings to get. Thank you for reading.
Losi 8ight t rtr is based on the 3.0 kit with some minor 4.0 parts too I believe. 95% of those bearings should fit, but beware that the bearings may be different where the front and rear diff pinion gears go into, as the rtr has smaller diameter pinion gears, so I assume the bearings would be smaller for the RTR as well. Either way probably a good idea to get the avid kit, and you can just check your manual to see if there’s any difference in bearing sizes. All the other bearings should be correct though and work perfectly. It’s a cheaper 3.0 essentially.

Losi 8ight t rtr is based on the 3.0 kit with some minor 4.0 parts too I believe. 95% of those bearings should fit, but beware that the bearings may be different where the front and rear diff pinion gears go into, as the rtr has smaller diameter pinion gears, so I assume the bearings would be smaller for the RTR as well. Either way probably a good idea to get the avid kit, and you can just check your manual to see if there’s any difference in bearing sizes. All the other bearings should be correct though and work perfectly. It’s a cheaper 3.0 essentially.
I've been going though the manual and found the 4.0 kit had the most matches. I would have never looked at 4.0 as I thought is was 2.0 and 3.0 parts. Thank you very much for the help.

Makes sense. I learned most about the 8ight T RTR from older Botajell YouTube videos. Really helped me out in the beginning. I didn’t know it was mostly 4.0 parts and thought it leaned heavily towards the 3.0. Either way, I’m sure even some 2.0 parts would fit, but as far as I know the 3.0 and 4.0 kits were a pretty big departure from the 2.0, so it makes sense that this RTR version would be based on the 3.0 and 4.0. I have 4.0 carbon shock towers on mine, 3.0 kit front and rear differentials, and I believe when I ordered spare arms and such via part numbers in the manual, it had me order 4.0suspension arms and such. Also, some parts on the 8ight T are proprietary to RTR, such as the stock differentials and plastic toe links, outdrives, ring and pinions, all sorts of stuff. But either way it’s basically fully upgradable to 4.0 specs which a ton of people have done on YouTube.

Makes sense. I learned most about the 8ight T RTR from older Botajell YouTube videos. Really helped me out in the beginning. I didn’t know it was mostly 4.0 parts and thought it leaned heavily towards the 3.0. Either way, I’m sure even some 2.0 parts would fit, but as far as I know the 3.0 and 4.0 kits were a pretty big departure from the 2.0, so it makes sense that this RTR version would be based on the 3.0 and 4.0. I have 4.0 carbon shock towers on mine, 3.0 kit front and rear differentials, and I believe when I ordered spare arms and such via part numbers in the manual, it had me order 4.0suspension arms and such. Also, some parts on the 8ight T are proprietary to RTR, such as the stock differentials and plastic toe links, outdrives, ring and pinions, all sorts of stuff. But either way it’s basically fully upgradable to 4.0 specs which a ton of people have done on YouTube.
Botajell is nice when he's not rambling on how rtr needs a starter box and other things like that. 2.0 kit had least extra parts, but 4.0 completed everything except rear hubs. It also includes throttle linkage bearings which have to be for the Gen 3 radio tray. When I looked up the missing part for rear hubs, it came up with a bearing for the X and XE. So this thing is all over the place. I requested Avid to put a kit together just for the newer RTR.

I would like to upgrade it to be 100% race ready some day, but I don't got any tracks near me that are nitro friendly. For now I'll work out all these flaws and enjoy bashing it and learning to keep a nitro.

Botajell is nice when he's not rambling on how rtr needs a starter box and other things like that. 2.0 kit had least extra parts, but 4.0 completed everything except rear hubs. It also includes throttle linkage bearings which have to be for the Gen 3 radio tray. When I looked up the missing part for rear hubs, it came up with a bearing for the X and XE. So this thing is all over the place. I requested Avid to put a kit together just for the newer RTR.

I would like to upgrade it to be 100% race ready some day, but I don't got any tracks near me that are nitro friendly. For now I'll work out all these flaws and enjoy bashing it and learning to keep a nitro.
It really is all over the place. It’s funny, I made a bearing order from Avid a couple months ago, I don’t know if it was just me or what, but it took me forever to look up and figure out which bearings I needed.

I'm going to go against the grain, and say tell you to definitely upgrade piece by piece. It will teach you about your kit, how to take apart and reassemble, and just learn more about nitro in general. I will say it’s a vastly more expensive route than just buying a used kit, and it will never quite compare to a full race kit unless you replace every single downgraded part with the kit version. But that’s okay, this hobby is all about having fun and tinkering and just enjoying your platform and not letting others tell you it’s not good enough when it absolutely is. Hit me up with any more questions you have, I’ve had the 8ight t RTR for almost 2 years now and have a pretty good grasp on it.

Will the 4.0 nitro truggy chassis work on the rtr nitro truggy as that's the only part I've not changed biggest issue I had was with diff but once I figured out what diff parts would interchange was easy

Back