Where do most of you run your cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave NY

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing

I have at this time 2 RC Cars, an ARRMA Granite and a Losi TLR 22x4. I got the AARMA because my son had 1 and it is a ball to fly around the yard, etc with. I built the Losi because I went to a track fairly close to me and most of the people there had similar vehicles ( 4WD 1/10 scale Buggies) but the track is rather small.

In Looking around for other tracks that ran 1/10 scale buggies I quickly found that there weren't any. In fact in all tracks I visited I found that each focuses on it's own specialty so to speak. You essentially have to have a car for each track. 1 may have 1/10 scale clay and another may have 1/10 scale carpet each requiring either special set-ups, or what most do is have 2 cars, 1 for clay and the other for carpet.

Yes, I should have done more investigating before I choose what to buy. I may have made different choices, maybe not. I would think that more tracks would try to enhance the hobby and racing by offering the same style/classes but that isn't the case from what I have found in my area. This, I believe would enhance the hobby and the revenue because it seems that it would be far cheaper and easier for folks to go to different tracks to enjoy racing than to buy a different car to be able to race at the different tracks in they're area.

I may look into buying another car just to have fun with in parking lots, skateboard parks, etc and say to heck with attenda R/C "Race Track" altogether.

What do you all think and where do you enjoy the hobby?

Last edited:
I run mine in the street by my house, backyard, and the local parks around me. I go to back areas and parking lots away from everyone and just kick back. Dad used to race with his friends in the 90s in the work parking lot at lunch... at that point battery life was perfect to two heats. Neither myself or him are good enough drivers to run a track and everything has gotten so fast now I wouldn't even bother. 40-45 mph is more than enough for myself and honestly anything more than 35 is borderline too much for me. I do have a track near me but haven't checked it out since I just started getting back into it. There is also an old skate park no one uses I have visited from time to time when I was a kid.

Parking lots, construction sites, and anywhere, I can take a crawler. Also my living room and office if you count my SCX24's and my newest micro car.

I have at this time 2 RC Cars, an ARRMA Granite and a Losi TLR 22x4. I got the AARMA because my son had 1 and it is a ball to fly around the yard, etc with. I built the Losi because I went to a track fairly close to me and most of the people there had similar vehicles ( 4WD 1/10 scale Buggies) but the track is rather small.

In Looking around for other tracks that ran 1/10 scale buggies I quickly found that there weren't any. In fact in all tracks I visited I found that each focuses on it's own specialty so to speak. You essentially have to have a car for each track. 1 may have 1/10 scale clay and another may have 1/10 scale carpet each requiring either special set-ups, or what most do is have 2 cars, 1 for clay and the other for carpet.

Yes, I should have done more investigating before I choose what to buy. I may have made different choices, maybe not. I would think that more tracks would try to enhance the hobby and racing by offering the same style/classes but that isn't the case from what I have found in my area. This, I believe would enhance the hobby and the revenue because it seems that it would be far cheaper and easier for folks to go to different tracks to enjoy racing than to buy a different car to be able to race at the different tracks in they're area.

I may look into buying another car just to have fun with in parking lots, skateboard parks, etc and say to heck with attenda R/C "Race Track" altogether.

What do you all think and where do you enjoy the hobby?
These are just some of the many reasons i dont race anymore. There used to be outdoor and indoor tracks from Binghamton to Syracuse to Rochester, that ran pretty much everything. Now, it is mainly indoor carpet or clay small tracks that might have one type of vehicle, and nothing more. As for your question, there are a ton of places around here you can bash, from school fields, to Thorne St (just not on the baseball field), to the gravel dump by the Elks on the back way to the mall, Eldridge (as long as no kids are at the skate park, you can run there, but its all concrete, the fields are wide open though, so is the gravel parking lot in the back most of the time), the park at the Holding point (stay off the bike track though, they are very rude about that one, and will involve the cops if you are caught on it), and, if you look around, you can find other places.

I know you have been to Jerry's, but what about Crystal City up near Dundee? I have never been there, but a lot of guys around here talk about it. Dustin has his backyard track in the summer, but that is mainly just for guys to get together to mess around, from what i understand. I could be wrong though. I have some videos of my stuff at different places around here on YouTube. This is my 22S at the gravel dump:

I haven't been to Crystal Valley so I don't know what they run there and I haven't found a phone # to contact anyone there.

I usually do construction sites, at work in a large building, and also I will take mine on walks.

We have a field outside my apartment that we run in. I also have a 1/24 indoor crawler course I am working on.

Sand dunes, motorcycle park, local soccer park, campground crawler course we map out, 1/24 crawler table in the shop.

i run in many places. can't fly my air rigs at my present home. i run in a skateboard area. Belle isle they have a 1000' x 400' paved area for drag racing big crowd on weekends big dollars get thrown around. a abandoned Kmart parking lot. then there's the sand bowl this sand oval about 800' in dia with a pond in its center. many other places can run in parks by me laws wont let you unless you want your gear confiscated by 5-0..

I like running industrial areas. Generally, they are lightly populated and for the most part vacant on weekends.

Anymore, I stay away from tracks. All got too big and the driver stand too high for casual running and self marshalling on a weekday.

My Baja is charged up as we speak and in a little while I am going out to gas it up and tune it a little, then run out to the sand dunes this morning.

The Baja started no problem at all. I ran almost a full tank of gas so I shut it down to let it cool down for a while but apparently something came lose on the starter bit or flywheel because the engine won't turn over now. The starter bit just spins.

Last edited:
I run in parks, skate parks near me and drive 45 minutes to a public grass bmx track pretty often. Was going to go run there today, but one of my bashing buddies lives near it and the wind is whipping the trees in his back yard around... so we aren't going to meet up. Whenever it's windy, our days always end very bad when we try running there as many of the jumps are big air and the wind rolls them in the air. If it's this windy at 8am, it's only going to get worse.

This was our last meet up a month ago:

I’m have a lot of fun looking for spots for my crawlers as I drive around doing everyday things. It’s a dimension to the hobby I never expected. So far a landscaped area in a park just down the street from me has been a lot of fun. Rocks, roots plants like going through a forest... sorry started to get a little carried away there.

I’m have a lot of fun looking for spots for my crawlers as I drive around doing everyday things. It’s a dimension to the hobby I never expected. So far a landscaped area in a park just down the street from me has been a lot of fun. Rocks, roots plants like going through a forest... sorry started to get a little carried away there.
I've done that too. And you're right, it does add a dimension to the hobby. For a time, I would return home and locate the site on Google Earth, mark and rate it in the notes. Maintained a 'basher journal' listing the states I had run Rusty in.

Lately staying close to home and running the back yard grass track. Seems to meet my RCing needs. For a while was doing speed runs at a close by industrial site. Never feel comfortable running at speed with an RC on a public road, though. That and only being able to run weekends and weather dependent made it an iffy deal.

Cheers and good luck. 'AC'

I go to random parks since there isint really anything around my area. There is an indoor carpet track, bit my RCs will tear it up :/

I run my cars on bitumen, skateparks, BMX tracks, grass, gravel, hard dirt etc.

all of my bigger cars 1/10th and 1/12th scale, I take them to a football field so I can wind them up to full speed off road.
my smaller cars such as 1/14th, 1/16th and 1/18th I take them a basketball court to hoon around on.

My little hobby plus CR-24 crawler I used to run that in my back garden to do some crawling.

That sucks that was a good area to take any rc car to jump them. If I had somewhere like that where I live that would be a nice spot for bashing

Back