Wheely king with a faster motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My father just purchased a HPI Wheely King over the weekend and we've been playing with it around the house all weekend and now I'm wanting one.

I really like the suspension and the flex of it, however I don't just want an RC that goes really slow. I'm not going to be in any kind of rock crawling comps or races, just something to mess around with in the house or outside a little bit.

Anyways I was reading his manual and noticed it was recommended not to put anything less then a 20T motor. 20T still seems like a fairly slow motor, is it not? I'm not looking for blazing speed, but I don't want to be passed by a turtle either.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to make the Wheely King a lil faster without burning anything up?

-Michael

I saw one of these at the LHS with the new Novak Goat in there......it could do the slow stuff.....but it could scoot across the parking lot at what looked like a fun clip.....do jumps and such.

Hope this helps in the search....I am with you ....slow does not work for me.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks Talonone!

-Michael

Swap in a different ESC.

And then put in a different motor.

How can you not think a 27t is fast?

Must be all the crawlers I'm use to...

With a brushless setup like the Novak Goat - doesn't this require a Lipo battery setup as well?

-Michael

I ran mine with a Duratrax esc (found it in a drawer LOL) with a 8t limit and stuck a D5 flatliner modified 11x1 in there...FAST! If your going to go fast with the WK I have two sugetions

First, Over the axle steering. I'm sure you noticed the slop in the stock set up, it's scary when going fast. The only problem here is my stock tires/wheels rub on the servo mount but I'm working on that....I usually run mashers on axial beadlocks.

Second, stronger diff gears, I toasted the stock diffs on the second battery. HPI offers some HD diffs, the same ones that go in the nitro MT....Not cheap!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTB54
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTB55&P=M

If you get tired of the wheelies stretch it out to a 12.5 wheel base, if done right (keep shock vertical) the torque twist is about the same as stock and it handles and jumps a lot better

As for the goat it will work with 6-7 cell batteries but it won't put out like it would with lipo.

Just an FYI for those that don't know....An esc still works the same as an msc but instead of haveing 3 steps it has a lot more..100's. What makes the goat so special is "Discrete Steps: 512 Forward; 512 Reverse" To give you an example the famous super rooster has 256 steps.

Last edited:
SMaxxin - thank you for your reply, lots of useful info there!

-Michael