Wheel spin during start up. Help plz! (3.3 T-maxx)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
When the truck is on the stand and I try to start it up to idle. The wheels spin like crazy and when its on the ground, it pulls away.. I thought this was because of a bad clutch spring? So, I took it off and replaced the stretched out spring with a fresh new one. Re-installed and started the truck again.
Same Thing!!

What else am I overlooking??

Thxs!

5B649D27-35A6-405B-A7B3-884AD695A7D0_zpsqagi1nmt.jpg

bearings in the clutchbell, high idle or lean LSN

The bearing are all good. When tuning shouldn't I just leave both LSN & HSN at stock setting and then just adjust the HSN first?

Correct get your HSN first then start leaning out the LSN very little at a time. I know you said you replaced the clutch spring but how about the actual clutch shoes? If there grooved real bad that could be your issue.

I will try that later tonight and report back.. If it doesn't fire and idle tonight I may just pull the engine again and double check the shoes. Maybe I overlooked it something this last install..

Try the "pinch test" as well.

Isn't pinch test done to help set idle? The last of the setting..

Pinch test is to see if your LSN is adjusted correctly. If it dies too quick its too lean if it takes more than 3-4 sec to die it's to rich.

Yes.. i believe it is used to make sure it's tuned properly and has more to do with the LSN.

Before u suspect all of the above,...pop off your airfilter and turn on the electronics,observe the idle gap in your carb throat,it shouldn't be any larger than 1mm..if it is larger then something is out of adjustment,either in the linkadge/idle screw /trim...

Before u suspect all of the above,...pop off your airfilter and turn on the electronics,observe the idle gap in your carb throat,it shouldn't be any larger than 1mm..if it is larger then something is out of adjustment,either in the linkadge/idle screw /trim...

How do I measure the idle gap? LHS have a tool I should buy?

My guess would be that your idle is set too high.

So I got it running somewhat today. I was able to drive it around my backyard a little, but when I let off the gas to go to neutral the truck would keep moving. I would have to hold the brake in order for it to stay stopped. This made it difficult to tune as it tended to die if I held it at a stand still for to long.

What should I adjust from here? Is my HS to rich or is my LSN to lean?

Thxs guys!

It's either idle too high or lsn too lean. You could possibly have a air leak somewhere. If you have a air leak you can forget tuning it until it's fixed. Air leak will run you lean at your riches settings.

You may have both adjustments out of whack...lsn lean and too biga idle gap,a thin paper clip is about close to the gap you need,set the gap and then move on to the lsn

Thank you guys for all the helpful info and tips..

Thanks Rolex for the link, I think it should help me chase down my troubles..

Loving this forum so far!

With your engine out, does the clutch bell spin freely? If you spin the bell quick, it should spin on it's own for a while before stopping. If your bell shim is too tight, it will cause excess drag that will make it tough to tune as well. Also, it will overheat it and cook your cb bearings.