Whats your " FUEL " powering your Rig's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC/Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am doing a survey....In your post respond with the following

1. Brand Of Nitro Fuel you use & % of Nitro Content
2. Explain in short detail "WHY" you use the Fuel
3. How long you've been using the Fuel & what brand you used before
4. Explain in short detail what advantages you get....

For me
1. I use Blue Thunder 20% Nitro Fuel
2. Mainly Cost about $2.00 $2.50 Less compared to other brands
3. I used to use Traxxas Top Fuel for 2 years / Than changed over to BT.

4. Very min time spent of HSN setting adjustments / & run constant normal engine temps / always get full empty tanks after a run no fuel left in tank /
never had a major engine failure's running BT...

Please be HONEST with your post's I am trying to prove a point to my Bashing buddies that the NITRO FUEL YOU USE does have a ROLL in how your Rig performs.... AS I plan to show the results to my Friends

Thanks for you Time..........................................

Last edited:
1) Traxxas Top Fuel 20%
2) Great Price & Very Nice Oil Content
3) I've Only Used This Brand Of Fuel

1) Werks 30%
2) recommended by Rob at ERCM/link was provided by Dream Machines.
3) I've been using the werks for 3weeks, I was using Sidewinder Team Strike V.2 30%.
4) Cooler engine temp, slightly longer run times per tank (cause it runs cooler, you don't richer up as much.)

Personal note:
sidewinder V.2 runs hot I had to richer up which cost more fuel, overall I burned a gallon of sidewinder way faster than a gallon of werks 30%
I like my werks so much I don't think I'll go back to sidewinder.
Rob recommended werks 30% to go with my picco/boost .28s
I don't have a place to dyno but the werks seems like it has better power, might be a lil faster also!

Last edited:
Sidewinder 20%
Been using it since I got back into the hobby. Not an extreme amount of oil, but enough to keep the engine happy.

87 Octane Regular Unleaded Gasoline with Klotz Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil for the Baja 5b. Saw it was recommended by a bunch of people at a sister site (Large Scale Forums).

Last edited:

For me

4. Very min time spent of HSN setting adjustments / & run constant normal engine temps / always get full empty tanks after a run no fuel left in tank /

Please be HONEST with your post's I am trying to prove a point to my Bashing buddies that the NITRO FUEL YOU USE does have a ROLL in how your Rig performs.... AS I plan to show the results to my Friends

1. Black Ops, 20% Monster truck blend
2. Oil content is nice engine temps stay constant, very minimal carb adjustments. Also after taking apart several engines they seem to be cleaner inside than that of running other brand fuels I have tried.
3. Been using this fuel for a couple years. I have tried Traxxas top fuel, Blue Thunder, Trinity Monster, Byrons fuel, Redmaxx Racing. The best fuel I have used was Odonnell 20% on road race blend loved that stuff but has been discontinued. Black ops has been the fuel that comes as close to it I have found.
4. I had to spend little to no time retuning my rigs after switching to Black Ops fuel. All my rigs seem to run cleaner and start easier then with other brands of fuel.

Last edited:
1 Losi NitroTane 20%
2 Cheapest I could get
3 Almost 2 years
4 Not my favorite fuel but it saves me $ and no issues using it.

when i started in RC cars / trucks 2007. i started by mixing my nitro, methanol, oil from scratch. i find NO advantage.. cause small combustion chambers do NOT like large amounts of nitro. yes its fun, its cool to say i mix my own. not sure about cost. so unless you have a full out cars car, off the shelf is the best. big hint: nitro fuel is mostly methanol, a fire can be put out with just water, but label the water can lest you put it in the fuel tank.

1. Byrons race 2000 20% with 12% oil.
2. Price is reasonable and with less oil than other fuels I've ran my engines. It also starts better and runs cooler than top fuel.
3. This is my first season with it and I'm very pleased.
4. I've ran byrons before but could not find it so I ran traxxas top fuel which was good but way too oily.

Whole milk ONLY. Never 2%, 1% or skim. Full 4%fat content. I've used Kroger's milk for about 7 years, but recently switched to Mayfield from the local dairy. I haven't noticed a substantial difference yet.

Bacon and eggs in the morning, sometimes with Corn Flakes on the side.
Cheeseburgers, pork chops, rib eye steaks for dinner.
I cook my own because it's a lot cheaper than getting it from the restaurant next to my local hobby shop.

I'm able to push my RCs around for several hours a day between meals, with just occasional quick pit stops for sweet tea.

Hey i would also like to hear what everyone does to store their fuel and maintain it on a day or weekly basis. i have been currently using Sidewinder 20%Race blend : 12% oil. my Lhs sells this for 23$ or so a quart if i remember correcty.

Havent had really bad a experience with fuel i dont believe. it seems decent. My Lhs told me to keep it in the fridge and sealed as best as you can.

quick ? What happens if it (fuel in fridge or any container i had) could have been sealed better for a week or so, and how about half a bottle of it in a 1000ml fuel bottle in the garage for a week when its 95-100 almost all week a good portion of the day? garage probably gets like 85+. is that fuel bad?

Thanks

I don't think your fuel will go bad in only a week of storage, even bad fuel is still good for something....I use it for cleaning my filters, loosening up poorly stored carbs/engines too

The worst thing for nitro is sunlight. The second worst thing is a poorly sealed container. A week in a fuel bottle or even a in a fuel tank if more than a 1/4 full has never been an issue for me. Best storage is dark,dry and consistent temps.

- byrons race 25%

- My engines seem to like it Tunes well and burns clean and seems to help with life of the engine. Also easy to tune. The LRP28S3 called for 25%, so I bought it when I bought the engine and instead of keeping multiple fuel contents, I just run 25% in everything.

- Byrons race 25%, 6+ years, my currently proffered fuel
- Trinity MHP 20% (12% oil I think), couple years, stunk awful and burned my eyes really bad when the smoke got in them.
- Sidewinder eliminator 20% (16% oil), a year, did ok, but power was hard to find with all the extra oil
- oddonnels 20% - aweful oily stuff and gummed up my internal OWB's, won't ever use it again, 1 gallon used
- dynamite blue thunder 20%, no real issue, turns engine internals blue, couple gallons used

- byrons burns clean, runs cool, tunes well and is the cheapest of the brands my LHS carries.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback..... I showed the posts to my bashing buddies & 1 of my friend's said oh wow I did not know you can run that much nitro content 30%....
I smiled & said " I TOLD YOU SO " that guys run 30% nitro but like they said you have to adjust your needle setting's the proper way......

As for Fuel storing I mainly make sure my tanks are completely empty & put left over fuel from my squirt bottle filler back into the can & top it up snugly & pretty much that's it... & of course a few drops of " after run oil " in glow plug opening & throttle body & a few quick spin overs of the crank & that's it until next runs

For me

I use the same thing for the same reason. I also used Traxxas top fuel but I like Blue Thunder better.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback..... I showed the posts to my bashing buddies & 1 of my friend's said oh wow I did not know you can run that much nitro content 30%....
I smiled & said " I TOLD YOU SO " that guys run 30% nitro but like they said you have to adjust your needle setting's the proper way.

Depending on the engine, you may need to add head shims if you go over 25% or you will get detonation (fuel blows up vs burns due to too high of compression). This causes damage (usually noticed as pitting) to the surface of the piston and head button and isn't very good for the engine in general. Also robs you of power.

I use the same thing for the same reason. I also used Traxxas top fuel but I like Blue Thunder better.

I agree Good Gamer Blue Thunder is good FUEL I like it a lot....

---------- Post added at 9:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:24 AM ----------

Depending on the engine, you may need to add head shims if you go over 25% or you will get detonation (fuel blows up vs burns due to too high of compression). This causes damage (usually noticed as pitting) to the surface of the piston and head button and isn't very good for the engine in general. Also robs you of power.

Thanks for the info olds97 but I don't use nitro over 20% I don't want to cause or experience any problems with 30% nitro.... & I like my engines in 1 piece for the fact its a bit on the costly side to replace a power plant...

I've ran traxxas fuel at first and then jumped to byrons gen 2. Never looked back from there. I have also used sidwinder 30 and odonnells speed blend 20. I liked them both but found myself back with the byrons race 2500 now with all my engines. It a great fuel. Quick start ups and smooth operating temps. Minimal tuning for the most part and just an all around quality fuel. Even byrons gen 2 20 and 33% bashing fuels are good quality fuels. Just 16% oils is a higher content than i like using now that I'm more skilled at tuning. The race 2500 blend has 11% oil and thats perfect for me.

I started out running 20% top fuel and hated it even with performance tuning still spit out a good bit of oil made a bad mess at the end of the day. I switched to sidewinder 20% and i liked it more than the top fuel but thats prob bc it has 12% oil instead of like 18%. Now i run torco 20% and thats all i run starts well tunes well and burns fairly clean still get a little stain from the die not much tho.

On a side not more oil is not better. More oil will actually make your motor run hotter.

If i could run any fuel i wanted i would run either werks or byrons but neither is easiely available to me