Whats wrong with my car(I'm a nitro rc novice)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmaster12

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi I'm new to the website for a good reason.
i bought an exceed rc Mad Warrior about 8 months ago. we got it started it up and took it through the break in process. It worked great and i was having soo much fun but it came time to clean it and its motor. I tore it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together. The next time we got it out i started it up and the motor would rev higher and higher then stall. we figured out that when i put the heat sink back on after cleaning it, i forgot to put one of the screws back in. so we put it back in of course and now we can't get it to start (the motor wont even turn over). I thought it was the pull start so i took it off and ordered a new electric start and the motor still wont turn over. Does any body know whats wrong. plz plz plz plz plz help.

Welcome to RCNT. How far did you tear the motor down? Not being rude, but if it ran before you took it apart, it has to be something you've overlooked or put back incorrectly (trust me, I've been there). Barring that, go through the checklist

1. Glow plug good?
2. Glow ignitor fully charged?
3. Getting fuel all the way to the carb?
4. No air leaks in fuel lines?
5. Make sure you didn't drop a head shim during tear down or re-assmebly. THey're very easy to drop, hard to spot depending on your work area, and will wreak havoc with your tuning process

Edit: Also, some engines like a small blip or two of the throttle while turning the motor over. Not all, but some.

Last edited:
Its it possible you flooded the engine? pull the glowplug and try turning it over

If you took the backplate and carb off, you'll need to seal those areas with high temp, sensor safe, copper rtv. The header gasket, too. Light coat on the o rings or other sealing surface. And next time you clean your car, just give it a quick spray with nitro cleaner and blow it off with compressed air. Or get the q tips and rags out. There's no need to tear the car apart to clean it as long as you don't let it get too bad.

If you took the backplate and carb off, you'll need to seal those areas with high temp, sensor safe, copper rtv. The header gasket, too. Light coat on the o rings or other sealing surface. And next time you clean your car, just give it a quick spray with nitro cleaner and blow it off with compressed air. Or get the q tips and rags out. There's no need to tear the car apart to clean it as long as you don't let it get too bad.

Thanks for the help. But i still have 2 questions.

1. What is the copper rtv, were can i get it and will my car run without it.
2. How do you take out the one way bearing and were can you buy one to fit a .21 motor. ;)

Its it possible you flooded the engine? pull the glowplug and try turning it over

I'm pretty sure that i didnt flood it because even if i did i did the procedure
But thanks for the help. plus I'm pretty sure that my problem is more around the oneway bearing and the roto start. (i could be wrong) ;)

thanks for the help. But should that make it start? If not what will? ;)

Last edited:
This is prob a stupid question, but is your piston stuck at TDC? Top dead center is whenever your piston is stuck at the top of the piston cylinder, making it very difficult for any starting system to crank the engine. If so take a flathead screwdriver and rotate your flywheel counter clockwise untill it rotates freely. It might be a good idea to remove the glowplug so as to relieve the compression.

Last edited:
Welcome to RCNT. How far did you tear the motor down? Not being rude, but if it ran before you took it apart, it has to be something you've overlooked or put back incorrectly (trust me, I've been there). Barring that, go through the checklist

1. Glow plug good?
2. Glow ignitor fully charged?
3. Getting fuel all the way to the carb?
4. No air leaks in fuel lines?
5. Make sure you didn't drop a head shim during tear down or re-assmebly. THey're very easy to drop, hard to spot depending on your work area, and will wreak havoc with your tuning process

Edit: Also, some engines like a small blip or two of the throttle while turning the motor over. Not all, but some.

thanks for the help ill try that. ;)

Back