Whats wrong w/ stock engines????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxFX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just want some feedback, I've been doing this thing called r/c for about 8yrs
off and on mostlt nitro, just curious why everyone runs out to buy an engine to replace their stock one, unless you're running nationals or worlds of some sort why needed, theres a vid post of a savage and someone asks thats pretty impresive what mill you running, and its stock hpi .25, I have a pretty hot t-maxx running the stock 2.5 w/ a different head and rd logics pipe and most people dont have a chance! I just saw a write up on the new sirio .23
and it said it ran in the low 40's whats the point and the savage has plenty of ass and torque if tuned properly!just wondering why spend $200+ on something that will make such a small difference if any!!!!!!let me know!!!!! :boxing:

You bring up some very good points, and most everyone would see the logic in that. My number one reason for going to upgraded engines on my MTs when I owned them was the fact that the stock engines were not that great.

I had an original run T-Maxx with the TRX .15 Pro. The engine was fine for a novice, but ran on the hot side and did not produce nearly the performance I was looking for (speed, torque, or the ability to generate both). I ended up getting a Fantom .15FR and ran that engine into the ground. It provided me with the things I desired and did not cost me the arm and leg that most pay for a good upgraded engine.

I also happened to have an original run Savage .21. The first run of the HPI Nitrostar .21 BB engines were not very good. They had several issues that ended up getting worked out in later models. I did not even chance the engine and purchased an Ofna Hyper .21 8-port at the same time I bought the truck. As it turned out the engine (which I sold to a friend shortly after removal) turned out to be a great performer. In the end, I paid a grand total of ZERO dollars for the upgraded engine as I the price for the two engines was the same. So I basically got an upgraded engine for nothing. Again, my decision was based on my desired performance ... and the Hyper met those needs.

Since then, I have moved on to running buggies and the ones I run are not RTR versions. That allows me to buy whatever engine I want.

So...is there a really good reason for this phenomena...perhaps not in many people's eyes. But the desire for better performance and the definition of "better performance" is all relative.

I also have a older style maxx that had the .15 pro in it, which also seem to run on the hot side, and just didnt have the "Umph" I was looking for. So I did the .21 coversion by XTM and dropped in a hyper 8 port and its a whole new truck! For me, I hop up my Rc's like I do my everyday 1:1 vehicles. Stock sucks anything sucks..lol..The 1st week I had my truck I had aftermarket rims on it, and now have a mods list as long as my leg..lol

nothing compares to a hot European engine, easy to tune, too fast, and lasts long.

I to have done the upgrades over the years and I have to say there are some small and some big improvments you can get from a engine upgrade. On my first Maxx (TRX .15) I did the XTM conversion and put on a Duratrax .21 from my brothers broken Dirt Demon and it was a big jump in power. Then I put on a Ofna Force .25 which had more tourqe but, the smae speed. Then a Fantom .27 which I still have in it now that is just :w00t: FAST! I bought another Ofna .26 as a spar and dropped it in there to brake it in and man talk about taking a step backwards! I guess what it comes down to is are you happy with your stock engine or in my case any engine? lol :shrug:

well for me, i like to go fast. 1:1 car is built for 20psi + nitrous. i carry my need for speed over to the RC world as well. i dont think i have 1 small block that makes under 1.2hp, no big block under 2.1hp, and the v-spec in my xb8 was just dyno'd at 2.9hp. i insist on going fast!

more power and speed is always better. and for the lucky few that have a few extra bills, laying around, they can take advantage of that.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a stock engine. They are great for those that are novices and also good for those that are just learning their new car. Once acquainted with the car, truck or buggy, most usually move on to better performing engines. THEN, there are those that just have the "Tim Allen" gene that has completely taken over and go straight for the performance engines regardless of their r/c skill level.

I run touring cars. When I first came into this hobby, my OS 12cv-rx was perfect for me, then I moved up to an OS 15cv-r ... both great performers. I then started racing and got a Novarossi NS12S3A1 because I saw at the track that the performance engine's were the way to go. They just simply out did my stock engine. Torque was engineered to be in a certain power band and overall, they just screamed.

THAT'S WHEN MY "TIM ALLEN" GENE KICKED IN! I bought a High end touring car (Serpent 710) and stuck one of the baddest .12 engine's in there before I learned the car (Mugen-Seki X12). Needless to say, I love the performance and I grunt like Tim Allen when I drive my cars. :)

Ok I understand problems like w/ the trx .15 I had two of them and of course
a kit that doesn't have an engine get what you can, but like I said I'm running a stock 2.5 w/ different head and pipe and I went up against a savage w/ a picco .26 and ate his ass, now as far a torque ok I lose the t-maxx isn't a torque machine but as far as racing goes I've went up against mgt, savage, revo, ofna and won have yet to test against a losi, I'll try to get a pic in here of my maxx!!!!! :shrug:

As stated, if you are happy with what you have...then no need to think about upgrading.

how experience were the guys with the other trucks?

Yeah, I can stomp all over a guy that can't drive! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

plus the cost of rebuilding a stock mill, cost almost as close as to buying a new powerful mill that will prob last longer then your stock!

Back