Whatcha Eating?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I just never heard of flan. Looks crazy, do you have it cold?
You can eat it hot, but cold is better I think.

If anyone wants to try this amazing feat of time management and agility...

I have tried about 6 different recipes. Some call for a bunch of eggs, some just a few. Some use different, complicated milk mixtures, and some are fairly simple. I watched Mexican chefs make them, as well as plain old white folk. The custard was always good, whether I followed simple or complex recipes. Here is one of the simple recipes I tried.
https://www.isabeleats.com/flan-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-18063

Setup your cake pan or watever you're gonna use for the water bath first. Get it and your ramekins in the oven. The hotter they are when you pour the sugar in the better.

Make your custard next. Let it sit for a couple minutes while you start the sugar, then run it through a strainer and set aside.

Melting the sugar is the only hard part. And a lot of the recipes tell you different ways to do this. I wasted probably a pound or so of sugar trying different methods. Here's what works easiest for me...

Put the sugar in a small pan (not a skillet) on the stove and turn the heat on medium. After about 5 minutes or so it will start to melt. Turn the heat down a bit. Let it continue melting (slowly), tilting the pan around to try to get it melting evenly. Do not stir it like the recipe above says. That causes all kinds of crazy problems like crystalization (cold spoon, hot sugar, no bueno). It takes about 10-15 minutes total. You don't want it to turn brown. Just a golden color. If it turns brown, the sugar will be bitter. And never, ever, ever get this lava on your skin. Holy ####ing hell does that hurt! If you get it on your finger, just lop it off with a meat clever. It will hurt less that way.

Quickly get it from the heat into your ramekins or flanera (tricky part) and cover the entire bottom, even up the sides a bit if you can. Pour the custard in and cover ramekins (individually) with foil, or put the lid on the flanera. Then bake according to the recipe. Let em cool then put in the fridge.

It's worth the trouble.

Last edited:
I will be looking for that when we go out for Mexican, but I wont be making it myself. Too much work for me. I can cook, just not that good. 🤣

Dunkin's sausage egg and cheese on a sesame bagel.
20240328_075622.jpg

I told the Cadbury bunny that it would be in his best interest to leave me a couple creme eggs
or the .220 Swift was coming out of the gun safe.

View attachment 186597
I would wait for him to drop off the eggs and then snipe him. Dinner and dessert!
Screenshot_20240328_104402.jpg

I told the Cadbury bunny that it would be in his best interest to leave me a couple creme eggs
or the .220 Swift was coming out of the gun safe.

View attachment 186597
I used to like those but turned to the caramel ones,,
I myself had popcorn, but not just any, our kid works at the movie theater so he will bring home a bag every once and a while for us,,
JR

Rabbit = high in iron... :confused:
Reminds me of chemistry class. We had a really cool teacher. He put the cereal Total into the centrifuge because it claimed to have all these beneficial minerals and such. When separated you could pull the iron out of it with a magnet. It has iron in it, but not in a form your body can use. So TP... you could eat that 😉

You can eat it hot, but cold is better I think.

If anyone wants to try this amazing feat of time management and agility...

I have tried about 6 different recipes. Some call for a bunch of eggs, some just a few. Some use different, complicated milk mixtures, and some are fairly simple. I watched Mexican chefs make them, as well as plain old white folk. The custard was always good, whether I followed simple or complex recipes. Here is one of the simple recipes I tried.
https://www.isabeleats.com/flan-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-18063

Setup your cake pan or watever you're gonna use for the water bath first. Get it and your ramekins in the oven. The hotter they are when you pour the sugar in the better.

Make your custard next. Let it sit for a couple minutes while you start the sugar, then run it through a strainer and set aside.

Melting the sugar is the only hard part. And a lot of the recipes tell you different ways to do this. I wasted probably a pound or so of sugar trying different methods. Here's what works easiest for me...

Put the sugar in a small pan (not a skillet) on the stove and turn the heat on medium. After about 5 minutes or so it will start to melt. Turn the heat down a bit. Let it continue melting (slowly), tilting the pan around to try to get it melting evenly. Do not stir it like the recipe above says. That causes all kinds of crazy problems like crystalization (cold spoon, hot sugar, no bueno). It takes about 10-15 minutes total. You don't want it to turn brown. Just a golden color. If it turns brown, the sugar will be bitter. And never, ever, ever get this lava on your skin. Holy ####ing hell does that hurt! If you get it on your finger, just lop it off with a meat clever. It will hurt less that way.

Quickly get it from the heat into your ramekins or flanera (tricky part) and cover the entire bottom, even up the sides a bit if you can. Pour the custard in and cover ramekins (individually) with foil, or put the lid on the flanera. Then bake according to the recipe. Let em cool then put in the fridge.

It's worth the trouble.
Thank you so much for posting the recipe for Flan. Hope as many members as possible here are able to try it because once you've had it, you'll just want more. I became hooked on Flan many many years ago now when a girlfriend and I went to Costco's one day and I saw one from their bakery. It was covered with all sorts of fruit, Kiwi, strawberries, blueberries tangerines and the like. She was the one that told me I should try it. From that day forward I was a Flan Fan.

Lunch a week ago from a Mexican restaurant I was trying for the first time. Smothered Burrito with Chorizo and, of course, Flan for dessert!
20240320_123537.jpg

20240320_124948.jpg

Lunch yesterday at a little out of the way Mexican Restaurant. No Flan, however. They don't have any desserts unfortunately. You know when you eat something somewhere it reminds you of good times you've enjoyed somewhere in the past? The food here is just like that for me. The taste always takes me to my happy place! 😎👍
Smothered Burrito Supreme with Carne Asada. If you haven't guessed it by now, I have to be the biggest Burrito consumer in my county 🤣. Friends give me grief about it all the time. I'm about the only person I know that will ride a motorcycle 100 miles just to have Mexican food someplace out of the way. 😂👌
20240327_115444.jpg

Thank you so much for posting the recipe for Flan. Hope as many members as possible here are able to try it because once you've had it, you'll just want more. I became hooked on Flan many many years ago now when a girlfriend and I went to Costco's one day and I saw one from their bakery. It was covered with all sorts of fruit, Kiwi, strawberries, blueberries tangerines and the like. She was the one that told me I should try it. From that day forward I was a Flan Fan.
After trying a flan for the first time I had to try making it. A flanera pan would make life a lot easier because you can use them to melt the sugar, so no messy transfer to the ramekins. I can just see myself making a mess of things trying to transfer a big flan to a serving plate.
Lunch a week ago from a Mexican restaurant I was trying for the first time. Smothered Burrito with Chorizo and, of course, Flan for dessert!
View attachment 186617
View attachment 186624

Lunch yesterday at a little out of the way Mexican Restaurant. No Flan, however. They don't have any desserts unfortunately. You know when you eat something somewhere it reminds you of good times you've enjoyed somewhere in the past? The food here is just like that for me. The taste always takes me to my happy place! 😎👍
Smothered Burrito Supreme with Carne Asada. If you haven't guessed it by now, I have to be the biggest Burrito consumer in my county 🤣. Friends give me grief about it all the time. I'm about the only person I know that will ride a motorcycle 100 miles just to have Mexican food someplace out of the way. 😂👌
View attachment 186628
I love burritos too. There was a Mexican hole in the wall by the race shop I worked at. They had a burrito for $10.99 that hung off the ends of one if those large oval plates. It was so huge I couldn't even eat a 3rd of it. It was easily a family meal for 4. Steak, chicken, and pulled pork, all smothered in queso. I miss those burritos.

I'll have one each of the nerds plushies please 😁

View attachment 186617
View attachment 186624

View attachment 186628
That smothered anything is so good. I like beef enchiladas. Smotherd beef burritos are good as well. 😁

Back