What would be good upgrades to get for new savage 4.6?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, i recently bought a savage 4.6 and its been great so far. Its run-in and has been used quite a lot and i was wondering what would be some wise upgrades for it? I really don't know that much about the machanical/how things work side to the RC Cars but i've seen upgrades like alloy parts, 3 speed transmissions, alloy mufflers and so on and was wondering what experienced drivers would get? I also have found Savage engine 'superchargers' and was wondering what is the go with that? heres a link to a site that sells them:
http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/rbk10533.htm

A supercharger will just give you problems, u dont want tone

ribbed pipe. intake. ALLOY parts that are easily broken like dogbones and turnbuckles etc..

yea get a high torque one thats the 1st part that i put in my truck. next get the 3 speed easy to install. tuned pipe fail safe on board temp gauge wheely bar fuel filter etc...

IMHO, the 3-speed is a bit of a hassle. I switched back to a 2 speed for winter running. However, I just bought the 3-speed case since I took mine out. I bought it used and it had the 3-speed in a 2 speed case, so to adjust it, you had to take half the truck apart to get the trans out and apart. The 3-speed case allows you to take the top off the trans. Still a bit of a hassle, but way better than tearing a truck clear apart to turn a screw 1/3 of a turn!

If you get a new pipe, I'd go for the HPI polished pipe over the ribbed one. About the same low end power, but better on the top end and not quite as loud. Or, I'd really go with losi's HT pipe for the LST2. You can find the pipe pretty cheap on ebay. You will have to finagle it a bit to work with the stock HPI header, but it's a really great pipe IMHO. I've ran the stock composite, HPI ribbed, HPI polished and I like the losi HT best. Quietest and generally best running pipe I've had to date.

I'm not sure if that savage had a servo mounted servo saver for the steering or the cam/spring type. If it has servo mount, then I'd get the cam type:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJSS6&P=Z

A much better setup and less "soft" so it will hold turns better. Especially if you upgrade the steering servo.

The savage is a pretty great truck as is. Granted, I've never had one with a stock engine/pipe (bought both I've owned used), but if your engine is getting tired, you will find a nice LRP28S3 in it will kick that silly supercharger in the pants! Throws my aftershock around like a rag doll... I'll probably get another one in spring for my aftershock so I can use my now almost 2 year old one out of the aftershock in my savage. Great engine.

Last edited:
Swap out your servos. One of the first things I did was to replace the stock steering servo with a high torque model. I then took the original steering servo and made it my throttle and brake servo. You'll find it stops better. Agree with olds_97 about beefing up the servo saver too.

Dump the stock pipe and find a good tuned pipe. Lots to choose from.

I'm not sure what clutch bell and spur gear you have, but that's one area to play with. I have one of the original Savages and it came with a 14/52 combo (and with the old 21 powerplant) was way too slow for me. That gear ratio is OK if you want to pull wheelies, but I wanted to improve top end speed. I'm currently running a 17/48 setup. About to swap out my third engine (an older Picco .26 "Outlaw") for something newer.
I've never run a super-charger but think stuff like that are gimmicks. I'm willing to bet that installing a high-performance engine like a Novarossi 28 or an RB 28 will kick a supercharged 4.6's tail though...

Tranny - Agree with olds here too. The 2-speed is all you really need. If you run the math (ratios), the 3-speed does offer a minimal improvement at top-end, but now you have twice the number of shift points to adjust and that can be a pain.

If you're using a stock AM controller, add a failsafe! You'll be glad you did.
Down the road you'll want to upgrade the controller and receiver to either a programmable FM or something like a Spektrum - but that doesn't have to happen today.