What truggy should I get?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeKoch

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm new to nitro rc and I'm thinkin of getting a truggy but I dont know whats good. my price range is somewhere around $500. I was lookin at the HPI Hellfire.if i get one I would most likely bash or just drive it on my street. Does anybody have any suggestions? :)

The Ofna Mutilator powerstart is a good deal. That HPI truggy will be phased out soon, nobody buys them. Overpriced and they do not perform very well.
http://www.ofna.com/mutilator-power-start.html
It has yet to be released but it is basically a Jammin X1 truggy, a proven race winner and very durable. Of course it will need the radio gear upgraded in time, RTR servos and radios don't last. Towerhobbies is showing an expected price of 459 dollars for this truggy.
Another good option is the Losi 8T
It comes with a great radio and decent servos but it costs a bit more.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0083
Shop around and you'll find them much cheaper.

To add to Scrogg's recommendations, you may also want to check out the new Redcat Racing Monsoon coming out on Jan 30. The ~$350ish price point leaves you with plenty of room to upgrade servos or other parts you want and still be within your budget. I have the current gen Monsoon and have been extremely happy with it.

Redcat just licensed the rights to Team VTX's manufacturer (Team VTX had an exlcusive that just expired) so the new model will be much improved (ball diffs, better layout/parts etc) but very similar to the current gen Monsoon. Team VTX was formed by a bunch of GS Racing guys who left the GS factory to start their own so performance and quality should be awesome at this price point... not a Losi or RC8T but still respectable and a crapload less expensive. There's even an RCNT thread on them at https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46684

The Losi 8ightT and the AE RC8T may be more expensive but you do get a lot of rig for your money. If it were me I would get the 8ightT for the very reasons Scrogg stated...

The Losi 8ightT and the AE RC8T may be more expensive but you do get a lot of rig for your money. If it were me I would get the 8ightT for the very reasons Scrogg stated...

Agreed. But both are above his stated price range, though not by much.

+1 on this i would recomend the 8ightT aswell again for the same reasones

What about the long clutch bell on the Monsoon and The VTX st-1. Is that anything i should worry about.

I personally would not buy anything Redcat or Monsoon just because they do have some odd parts, and 99% of hobby stores don't carry these brands.
Ofna, Losi, Associated are all stocked at most hobby shops.

What about the long clutch bell on the Monsoon and The VTX st-1. Is that anything i should worry about.

Not really. You can get an adjustable motor mount and run whatever engine/clutch you want.

I personally would not buy anything Redcat or Monsoon just because they do have some odd parts, and 99% of hobby stores don't carry these brands.
Ofna, Losi, Associated are all stocked at most hobby shops.

True. But the LHS situation is changing and most HSP parts or ST1-RR parts will fit. I think we're on the same page here Scrogg. If his budget allowed for it, I wouldn't be mentioning the Redcat. I'd take the Associated over anything else, followed by the Losi if the budget was higher than $500. You might be able to find Losi or Associated RTR for not much over that but since he's new to nitro he'll need a charger, glow plug, fuel etc. With some of the lower-end truggies he'll have enough left over in his budget for the accessories and even space for upgraded steering servo which is almost a must with Truggies as the stock RTR's don't have the torque.

Forgot about that one, good truggy but the engine is known for being a pain. I stilll say the new Mutilator is the ticket. It has all the proven Jammin truggy suspension, including 16mm big bore shocks, LPR wheels/tires. It's basically the old X1 CRT with a electric start .28 slapped on it. The Ofna .28 is a easy to tune and plenty of power for a new guy.

I still say the losi 8t. always been a fan, ever since i drove one.

rollin low has a 8t it needs to be put together and i think he wanted 300 shipped for it

$600 bucks for a roller??? Looks nice to be sure but you will have a grand in it in no time flat...

Have you given the HPI Nitro MT2 a look-see?

Back