what pinion do i get for my rc car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hspDRIVER123

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned a rc car for a while now, the Vrx cobra 1/8 scale and since the start i have always wanted to put a higher tooth pinion on it but i dont know what type of pinion would be correct size and mesh.

Is it the truggy or the buggy? I am trying to find the manual to see if the info is in there, but they have 3 VRX vehicles. Two are truggies, and one is a buggy. The mesh will likely be a 32P or 48P gear, but no idea which without seeing the gear or finding the info in the manual.

As far as tooth count, I would only go up one tooth at a time. Run the car and monitor motor and ESC temps using an infrared temp gun. When you start pushing 160°F on either after a few short full throttle runs, you have gone too far or are right on the edge of electronic failure. Back down one tooth and run it hard and see where the temps are. Up in pinion tooth count = hotter running electronics. You want to stay around 160°F or below after a full bash session of hard running.

Last edited:
I would not go up in pinion count .if on 3 cell your pushing that system as it is. In many of my 1/8 scale I have mod 1 I know other use mod .8 and so on . if you want something fast best to build it yourself ot buy new esc motor the the gearing, the esc/motor can handle . this is said because its a rtr right?

Back