What kind of shock tower should i get? (XXXNT)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach.21

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Last night while jumping i over shot the biggest double and completely destroyed my rear shock tower the front was just barely cracked i put epoxy on it. But NEways i am trying to decide wether to get Carbon Fiber Aluminum Or Graphite

I dont think graphite will hold up very long though.

Its a XXX-nt

Carbon fibre is very nice! I would recommend that! but when it does break it shatters so be careful!

So is it durable Cause if i get it i want it to be durable if it is going to be weak id like to get aluminum but aluminum can get stress fractures easy.

I'd go with Alluminum. If the other parts are plastic, then it won't be such an impact on the alluminum.

I'd suggest for the rear one to stay with carbon fiber. If you have an aluminum one on the rear, a hard wreck is going to destroy your trans/diff case...

I actually had the CF one on mine, and it alone was strong enough to rip the trans/diff case into pieces on a hard roll-over. You may want to stick with stock RTR towers. It's a lot easier to change a tower, than it is the diff case.

wow i didnt notice that till you said they were connected halfway to the case. Dang i think ill stick with either carbonfiber or graphite

I'd suggest the same for the front. That front plate the tower mounts to isn't much easier to replace than the trans case.

In my book, it's better to break things that are quick and painless to replace. Although, I would replace the front and definitly the rear pivot block with an al one. Both of those things are a PIA to get at. I broke the rear one on mine about 15 times in a year... I'm a sucky driver.

Check out the Nova Hybrid Maxx Towers. Aluminum and low profile.

S7 Europa said:
Check out the Nova Hybrid Maxx Towers. Aluminum and low profile.

Did you even read this thing??? It's for a ST (xxx-nt). I highly doubt that towers for a maxx are going to fint on this.

I would suggest Aluminum just because Carbon fiber is very brital... that is why yours broke to begin with. Aluminum is still as hell still, yet quite a bit more resiliant, so you don't have to worry about it shattering like that. It will give a little here and there when it really needs to, will save you time and money over all. My opinion.

olds97_lss said:
Did you even read this thing??? It's for a ST (xxx-nt). I highly doubt that towers for a maxx are going to fint on this.
LOL. I just noticed it right now. My bad. For some reason I thought it was the T-Maxx forum. :confused:

I would stick with plastic. If you're busting them that bad, aluminum is going to bend (Unless you have someone make you some nice 7075/billet shocktowers).

Who makes the carbonfiber one?

Losi does. It's for the adam drake edition.

I had the nt for a couple years... I had pretty much everything cf except for the battery box, receiver housing and the RPM front bumper. It holds up better, even to impacts than the RTR stuff.

olds97_lss said:
It holds up better, even to impacts than the RTR stuff.
As it should for how much they cost vs. the RTR model.

olds97_lss said:
Losi does. It's for the adam drake edition.

Sorry but this is incorrect. The Losi Drake stuff is graphite, not carbon fiber. As I have been breaking the stock plastic parts on my XXX-NT team kit, I have been slowly replacing them with the graphite drake parts. There is an eBay seller, KPC RC, I think is their name, I'll find out for sure for ya, they part out drakes all the time, they have good prices and excellent customer service too.

I did find some carbon Fiber Stuff on ebay but i went ahead and ordered some graphite towers but i did also order aluminum arms though.

well.. i tell you.. i think the RTR plastic is a little more fogiving than the Drake graphite.. i got the drake.. i havnet broke a shock tower yet.. but i dont wreck that hard.. usually when i wreck.. i drag a rear arm across the top of a jump.. broke some hub carriers.. and a rear pivot block.. but thats it.. i have broke a rear shock tower.. on a previous XXXNT... but i see alot of RTR Losi trucks out there.. that wreck alot more than me.. and harder.. and they seem to never break...

Yeah, KPC RC rocks! Great deals, quick shipping and just overall good stuff! I'd suggest getting the graphite towers front and rear, but then for the rear, set it up with a Dace Manufacturering shock tower brace. Nice upgrade that prevents the usualy breakage of the rear tower.

PD2:cool:

Back