What is the issue here?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Car: Arrma Vorteks
Problem: Wheels hard to turn

I took apart what I’m calling the rear gearbox (is this correct terminology?) because the Vorteks had crazy resistance when manually spinning the wheels by hand. Once taken apart it is still very stiff and seems like the large gear is pressed up against the plastic (on both sides!) not sure how this would happen, or what the fix is. Same problem with the front wheels although I haven’t taken it apart yet. I assume its from driving in the rain, it’s actually the first time I’ve gotten the car wet. What should I do? Anything I can do to make it better with water?

Video:

Take it all apart and replace the broken parts. To me, it looks like something is wore out or broke in there.
It also looks like the gears are messed up a bit. I would just replace it all.

Arrma 311072

Last edited:
If you got it wet, the pinion bearing might have seized up, causing the pinion bearing to spin in the housing, melting the plastic, and messing up your gear mesh. Clean it all up with Simple Green. Then look down at your pinion gear (the small beveled one in front of diff gear). Grab ahold the pinion where it slides into the driveshaft. Pull in and out on it. Does it have any play?

Can you disassemble further? If so, check the bearing behind the pinion, and the ones on each side of the diff. If they are bound up in any way, check the bearing counterbores in the housing and make sure you don't see signs where the bearings spun, damaging the housing. Check the teeth. Are they ok? If everything looks ok, reassemble.

If it is still no good, you may need to shim your pinion gear. That would mean something has happened to the housing though.

That is an expensive part to replace. Check www.jennysrc.com for replacements. If not in stock, request an email notification and they will quickly get them in stock. Just be prepared to buy quickly, because a lot of parts there get bought up as soon as he lists them.

The part outlined in red is called a differential or diff for short. Whatever you took apart to expose the diff is the diff housing or some people might call it a casing.

1) You need to finish taking everything off of the diff and then take the diff itself apart.
2) Clean everything all up.
3) Then go through and check and make sure all your bearings are spinning freely
4) Make sure all of the gears are not broken or excessively worn.
5) Once all of that is sorted put the diff back together and fill it with diff oil
6) Reinstall diff and diff pinion in diff housing and lubricate well with grease. (I like using Mobil 1 Synthetic Automotive grease from any autoparts store)
(The diff pinion is the gear that the diff spins and the driveshaft attaches to.)

That should resolve any issues

Capture.JPG

The part outlined in red is called a differential or diff for short. Whatever you took apart to expose the diff is the diff housing or some people might call it a casing.

1) You need to finish taking everything off of the diff and then take the diff itself apart.
2) Clean everything all up.
3) Then go through and check and make sure all your bearings are spinning freely
4) Make sure all of the gears are not broken or excessively worn.
5) Once all of that is sorted put the diff back together and fill it with diff oil
6) Reinstall diff and diff pinion in diff housing and lubricate well with grease. (I like using Mobil 1 Synthetic Automotive grease from any autoparts store)
(The diff pinion is the gear that the diff spins and the driveshaft attaches to.)

That should resolve any issues

View attachment 151399
Thanks for all the info! I can’t take the diff housing off, I see screws holding the driveshaft arm things on, but I can’t undo them? Is that what I need to unscrew?

Thanks for all the info! I can’t take the diff housing off, I see screws holding the driveshaft arm things on, but I can’t undo them? Is that what I need to unscrew?
I'm not familiar with that kit specifically but more than likely there is a screw/pin holding the half shaft on. You will need to unscrew that to get those shafts off. At least if its anything like the typical 2WD Traxxas kits which Id assume it is.

I'm not familiar with that kit specifically but more than likely there is a screw/pin holding the half shaft on. You will need to unscrew that to get those shafts off. At least if its anything like the typical 2WD Traxxas kits which Id assume it is.
I managed to get them off and the bearings don’t spin, should I buy new ones or try to clean them out? Btw thanks for all the help

I managed to get them off and the bearings don’t spin, should I buy new ones or try to clean them out? Btw thanks for all the help
Normally that means the bearing is toast.

Get a bearing kit so when bearings seize later you will have spares.

Just want to add to this that I found out they are 12x18x4mm, any suggestions on brands or how much they should cost?

uxcell 6701-2RS Deep Groove Ball Bearing 12x18x4mm Double Sealed ABEC-3 Bearings 5-Pack https://a.co/d/8xEjJna

Or you can buy a Fast Eddy bearing set for your vehicle off ebay. But there is a seller named Winter Evening I use. I buy bearings from him because they are good bearings, and cheaper than Fast Eddy.

I normally buy bearings on eBay 10 at a time. I figure if they go out on me once, They'll go out again at some point. Theres a few occasions where I'll buy some really high quality bearings for certain things like motor bearings or wheel bearings on high speed rigs but thats the exception to the rule for me

Back