What is a way of spinning the engine to start it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, nowadays nitro and gas don’t compare to electrics. Some people will keep their nitro/gas, but you should get an electric. I suggest a 4WD SCT.

My plan is to build a tethered race car using the Mardave suspension, gear box and engine and bits that I have, I was going to build an electric powered car from scratch, because I’m an electronics/electrical engineer and it fits my discipline.

However, everyone else in the club run vintage diesels/compression ignition so when the Marauder came my way I had to think hard about using a glow engine. But going with the ICE seemed more in the spirit of the vintage vibe, club activity, blood, sweat and tears etc, and electric might have looked like I was cheating!

Incidentally I’m not sure if there is a standard for electric tethered cars?

I am looking to build something that looks like the lotus 49 shown here: https://www.onthewire.co.uk/betney2.htm

Last edited:
Nitro & gas require a lot of maintainance, plus they still need a battery for the servo and stuff.
But the good thing with nitro is that when you get it dialed in right, you can keep driving it all day long because the servos don’t draw a lot of power from the battery pack and when you run out of fuel, you can just put more fuel in it and keep on driving without having to wait for your battery to charge. (Sorry for the run on sentence lol)

But the good thing with nitro is that when you get it dialed in right, you can keep driving it all day long because the servos don’t draw a lot of power from the battery pack and when you run out of fuel, you can just put more fuel in it and keep on driving without having to wait for your battery to charge. (Sorry for the run on sentence lol)

Here's the good bit about tethered car racing, they only need to run for a short duration and 10 laps around a pole at 50 -60 mph or more doesn't take long. So battery powered electric is a good fit and ICE can scream its head off with limited cooling air flow until the tiny amount of fuel has run out or someone throws a towel over it!

Here's the good bit about tethered car racing, they only need to run for a short duration and 10 laps around a pole at 50 -60 mph or more doesn't take long. So battery powered electric is a good fit and ICE can scream its head off with limited cooling air flow until the tiny amount of fuel has run out or someone throws a towel over it!
Gotcha. Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday on this forum! 😎

Back