what % fuel are you guys running ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NolzWin

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
for some reason i have been running %20 for a year or so.trucks run great no problems.but i was reading a article about %33 , i wasn't thinking about going that crazy but bumping it up a little. any advantages/disadvantages to running a higher % or should i just stick with %20 ?

This is one of those questions where it seems to depend who you ask. Some say they get tons more power with a nitro increase and some dont notice it at all. One thing that seems to be agreed upon is that it can decrease your engine life if your not careful. You'll need to run a cooler plug and probably add a head shim. I've never ran anything but 20% in my trucks and it's hard enough to keep em rubber side down. I would say unless you have the cash to potentially replace the motor, and 20% has been working for you, leave well enough alone. There's some more info here:

http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

If your happy with 20%, then keep using it. It's cheaper anyway.

I ran 20% for 7 years. The only reason I changed was because my manual for my LRP recommended using 25%. So now I run 25% in everything just so I don't have to keep two kinds of fuel around.

The extra 5% didn't really show much of a performance gain, but it did seem to help me idle better in all 3 of my rigs.

thanks for the info, after reading the article i think i'll stay at %20 , the part about shimming the head :whhooo:. i'll leave it alone.

i wish i could get my head shimmed.. damn lazy wife 20% is fine, its all iv ever used with no problems

well like olds said. i ran blue thunder 20%. then the tech guy at my lhs said go to byron, and all they had were byron 25%. so now i run byron 25% and my rig runs good and idles good even without a good tune

I run 20% but I have been told it would be ok to go to 30%. Advantages would be more power and it would run cooler. Disadvantages would be you can't go back to a lower percentage like back to 20%. I think I will stick with 20%.

Disadvantages would be you can't go back to a lower percentage like back to 20%.

That's not true. You can go from different brands and percentages within the same engine without problems. It only requires new tune, shimming and possibly glow plugs. It shouldn't harm the engine in any way.

I started on 20%. But my LHS being a usless pack of...****** can't keep fuel in stock :angry: i went from 20 to 16 to 10..Not happy. Will this affect anything?

That's not true. You can go from different brands and percentages within the same engine without problems. It only requires new tune, shimming and possibly glow plugs. It shouldn't harm the engine in any way.

Exactly !:D I run 20% Trinity Monster horsepower BTW.......Good Stuff !;)

i wish i could get my head shimmed.. damn lazy wife 20% is fine, its all iv ever used with no problems

:hehe::hehe:

I started on 20%. But my LHS being a usless pack of...****** can't keep fuel in stock :angry: i went from 20 to 16 to 10..Not happy. Will this affect anything?

I know, my LHS's don't carry Losi Nitrotane 20% Race anymore !:angry:

Last edited:
I dumped some Tower 20% in my buddies junk 2.5. I bought this fuel in the summer of 1998. It ran fine! Granted, it was never opened. Found it in the barn, shook it up and it worked. Couldn't believe it.

I dumped some Tower 20% in my buddies junk 2.5. I bought this fuel in the summer of 1998. It ran fine! Granted, it was never opened. Found it in the barn, shook it up and it worked. Couldn't believe it.

Yeah, that Tower Power 20% isn't bad stuff either......I've used it before.;)
O'Donell's 20% is pretty good stuff too !:D

I run 20% in some of mine and 30% in the rest. I have one choice of fuel brand Klotz or go electric. Oh well that is how it goes. Run what you can get right?......hmmmm or go unleaded.

I've always ran 20% in everything I've run so far. However, I just recently got a couple vehicles with .12's and I'll be running 10% in them. RB recommends 10% in .12 engines unless you decide to shim the head.