what engine should i buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking to get a new Nitro engine for my savage XL, not because my old one is crap, i just want something aftermarket with a little more power and something that i could just stare at when I'm not running it.
What engine would be a good one above a .28 for the price range of around 200 buckaroos, with plenty of bottom end and high end torque

LRP .30 or .32, I plan on putting a .32 in my LST XXL.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

how much are they in your area roughly?

i think the stock 4.6 is more than enough for bashing and running for fun. Yes it can pull wheelies and land on its top end, even with the XL conversion and bigger tires. if my truck weighs more than a stock XL and can still wheelie its ass off, i think thats plenty! and like most people would say, its all about tuning!

What has change in two days?

BTW just about any rc site that ask this question on your going to get one of two answers....Buy an LRP or spend more than $200.00

Last edited:
nothing happened in more than 2 days. I'm just thinking about getting more power

---------- Post added at 8:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:02 PM ----------

and have heard from everyone with a lower budget get LRP or PICCO, I've looked into them and they arent expensive at all

I know the old P3-28 was another nice engine on a low budget, I have no experience with the Picco boost as it was not in stock when I was shopping for an engine.

you run LRP in your savage right?

My LRP 32 works great in my XL and my X , easy to tune two needle carb with lots of power.

maxx, how noticable is the difference between the savage 4.6 and the LRP .28?

I ran a K4.6 for a long time and had no problems with it, it's fast and has power although mine ran great with the temps between 210-220. The LRP just seems to have more grunt throughout the rpm range, depending on how I handle the throttle the LRP can and will lift the front of the Savage in second gear. I'm now running with only 4 shocks so the suspension is very soft and it still wheelies in second gear....The LRP has never been over 225 degrees. With only one truck running it's hard to judge top speed without using a gps but I don't think it's a big difference.

I had a set budget for my current Savage and as I have said before the LRP is very hard to beat for the price. For a little more I really liked running the OS .30 in a Savage, same story as the LRP with power and speed but IMO the OS is higher quality.

IMO a high dollar engine isn't needed in an MT unless you're going to totally transform it to race at which point the tranny should be replaced to put those rpm's to use.

Last edited:
i LOVE when other people ask me to freely spend their money!! in my opinion, you need to buy one of every flavor of nitro engine.LRP,PICCO,NOVAROSSI,SH,DYNAMITE,AXIAL, OS... you will have one for every day of the week, and you definately will not be short of back-ups.

these posts come up all the time on all the forums. I dont know why very few have the gumption to do a bit of research on the matter rather than let strangers make their decisions for them.

RC nitrotalk is mostly LRP people,
savage central, they are mostly Picco people
the list goes on and on. its hard to get un-biased opinions on the matter with odds like that.

I personally own an Os-30, Picco .28 , Novarossi .28,Lrp .32. all unmodded and to be real honest, i dont really see a whole lot of power difference between them. some have better quality parts than the others, some are a bit more finicky to tune, some sound different ,and some have lower maintenence costs.in the end,most of those things do not really affect performance.

LET the flames begin!!:\

With the exception of the first part your post isn't even close to flame status as you didn't really say anything that hasn't already been said

Last edited:
this is how I'm doing my research, I'm not going to one specific person asking them what engine they want me to buy, i posted an open thread to let others flow their opinions through so then i can do my research out of those engines, so that way my options would be limited to some rather than hundreds and wasted time. I'm not asking people to tell me what i should buy, i was asking what good engines are.

that being said, i have done research on the engines posted and have almost made my decision ;)

I ran a K4.6 for a long time and had no problems with it, it's fast and has power although mine ran great with the temps between 210-220. The LRP just seems to have more grunt throughout the rpm range, depending on how I handle the throttle the LRP can and will lift the front of the Savage in second gear. I'm now running with only 4 shocks so the suspension is very soft and it still wheelies in second gear....The LRP has never been over 225 degrees. With only one truck running it's hard to judge top speed without using a gps but I don't think it's a big difference.

I had a set budget for my current Savage and as I have said before the LRP is very hard to beat for the price. For a little more I really liked running the OS .30 in a Savage, same story as the LRP with power and speed but IMO the OS is higher quality.

IMO a high dollar engine isn't needed in an MT unless you're going to totally transform it to race at which point the tranny should be replaced to put those rpm's to use.
I don't think anyone has flamed on this post, but instead provided opinions, and I'll provide mine--once again. This is good discussion. I have no doubt LRPs are decent engines. However, I am damn sure they are not the most powerful engines out there. I appreciate your candid, honest feedback in reviewing the two...I mean that. THAT is the type of information needed. I'll say it again, based on what I've seen (and I've now seen them in person and YouTube), I don't see any sort of tangible upgrade in the two engines. Don't care what dyno-stats say and all that, just think it would be a waste for anyone to bench a perfectly running F4.6 thinking that there is a dramatic increase in power, because I'm sorry but there is not. I can do 2'nd gear wheelies all day (with stock shift point) and sometimes have to back it down.

Everyone has there opinion, and I think a 'high-dollar' engine will get you high-dollar power. Not frills, but flat-out power. Trust me, I wish I could get an impressive jump in performance for $200...but I haven't seen it. This is more focusing on the stock F4.6, Not saying LRP's are junk, just that I don't think they are the most powerful engines on the market. Not even close from what I have seen.

And Biffit...I totally respect your feedback because you own both spectrums. Do you have the F4.6 on your list with those? I don't have a Nova .28. But I have a clocked P5 (which is a .21) that I would put up against and LRP .32 anytime---I imagine a modded LRP.32 could be brutal as well. You have not seen a difference, and I have. I respect your opinion the same. :thumbup:

Last edited:
yes, i have a f46 and losi454 RTR motors. they are very nice beginner motors as they are easy to tune and produce pretty good power, and the parts are cheap enough on epig. i just see the need to get my $ worth out of the high dollar motors. i actually like the OS30vg alot. picco is ok, just the breakin period is so long. nova is ok too, but have not really run it that much.

engines1.jpg

when i bought these motors, i had enough savages to put them in. i have since cut down on my trucks, and only own 2 nitro powered vehicles so i do swaps now depending on what i feel like running. the losi is solely dedicated to my shelf queen and it was broke in before i put it in the truck and has not been fired since. i just dont see the power difference in the aftermarket motors

Last edited:
I'm building a savage for my son out of my old savage parts, and as a kid, he can get my hand-me-down 4.6 and i can get an LRP or PICCO, which I'm leaning more towards an LRP because I'm no gonna pay a ton of money for something that is gonna get all muddy and cruddy. but i appreciate all opinions on this matter, I'm not going for a dramatic increase, but i am going for an increase. my truck weighs 3 more LBS than it did stock, so i do need the power a little more than i did before. Like i said, my engine isnt being put away, my son will be using it:)

yes, i have a f46 and losi454 RTR motors. they are very nice beginner motors as they are easy to tune and produce pretty good power, and the parts are cheap enough on epig. i just see the need to get my $ worth out of the high dollar motors. i actually like the OS30vg alot. picco is ok, just the breakin period is so long. nova is ok too, but have not really run it that much.

engines1.jpg

when i bought these motors, i had enough savages to put them in. i have since cut down on my trucks, and only own 2 nitro powered vehicles so i do swaps now depending on what i feel like running. the losi is solely dedicated to my shelf queen and it was broke in before i put it in the truck and has not been fired since. i just dont see the power difference in the aftermarket motors

so what pipe did you run on each of these engines ? you said you noticed no performance difference between them.... But I have to ask what pipe and fuel did you run ?

Tho honestly I am not overly surprised by your findings...none of the engine companies put out anything near a maxxed out engine for you MT guys..Kinda dealing with a pile of detuned engines other then that LRP.......However in the end of you ran all 4 engines ont he same pipe it can really badly inhibit the performance of the engines, as not all engines like the same pipe and fuel....

I'm building a savage for my son out of my old savage parts, and as a kid, he can get my hand-me-down 4.6 and i can get an LRP or PICCO, which I'm leaning more towards an LRP because I'm no gonna pay a ton of money for something that is gonna get all muddy and cruddy. but i appreciate all opinions on this matter, I'm not going for a dramatic increase, but i am going for an increase. my truck weighs 3 more LBS than it did stock, so i do need the power a little more than i did before. Like i said, my engine isnt being put away, my son will be using it:)

The LRP series of engines or the Picco.28 boost would be on my first choice if it were going into a MT platform.

I take that nova and an 086, with some werks fuel. But I have piccos already.