4.6 temperature questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was running my K4.6 today, and it was running around 270-287. maxed out at 290, but ran steady around 280. is this ok? it wasn't loosing power or bogging down, i tuned my HSN and LSN to where it would take off, idle and top out perfectly. just didnt want to run it too long until i got input on running temperatures.

That's a bit high. I normally try to keep big blocks like the 4.6 in the 220°-230° F range.

I run my F4.6 around 280...no problem at all

, i tuned my HSN and LSN to where it would take off, idle and top out perfectly. just didnt want to run it too long until i got input on running temperatures.

I think you pretty much answered your own question then, no? ;-) As long as it (temps) remain consistent go by performance, man. Whatever temps it is at when it is performing well is the ideal 'running temp'.

What you know now, your engine is optimized at 270-290 on that temp gun. That's it.

If it's too lean, performance will be affected. Most of my .25 and .28 engines run in the 260-280 range. As long as you've got it tuned well and it's getting down I would not even worry about temps at all. I have three temp guns and they all read differently anyway.;-)

my truck weighs 4 lbs more than it did stock, and i tuned it today more extensively than i have before, tuned LSN and HSN to optimize with the weight of the truck, and it just flips as soon as i hit throttle, even on dirt. so i figured it would be ok, its getting plenty of airlow, and i really good blue stream. thanks for the input on the temps. i think I'm also going to go up to 25% odonnel from 20%, and see if i get even more out of it

Cool. The stock engines are not bad at all. I know what it's like when you start to think...'can I really lean it more?' it gets freaky but as long as it is performing well keep squeezing all the power you can. I have really learned the past year what an insane difference a good race tune can have on an engine

I've yet to see something like one of those LRP do anything on a Savage that I cannot with my stock F4.6. I imagine some guys will get bent out of shape at this comment but should I lie and say I have seen that? Maybe it's because I'm new I don't have an eye/ear for it, but until I see something (other than on-road high speed runs) with one of those that people seem to 'upgrade' to on a Savage doing something I can't with my stock, I'm good. Not trying to knock it, but simply saying if its tuned/setup well the stock is just as good--based on what I've seen at least. That or I've yet to see an LRP in a Savage that is tuned really well.

I've been rebuilding Savage for the past few months. Understand though I'm not skilled like some of the guys on here to where I can make a 'custom rig'...so instead I've been just taking an iterative approach allowing the vehicle to tell me what it needs. That as opposed with just putting on what I want. Like you, even with the stock I'm really having to tame my low-end. I know guys like to have their MT's 'thrown around like a rag doll', but I want to avoid that. Hell, my 11-year old daughter can throw my Savage around like that).. Instead I'm focused on being able to put the vehicle where I want when I want is how I gauge power.

With that, In the next six weeks I'm throwing what I believe to be some unearthly power (the actual type I've seen do things I can't with my F4.6). So I need to spend some time determining how to best harness it. It'll be a lot of fun learning this stuff. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Last edited:
Cool. The stock engines are not bad at all. I know what it's like when you start to think...'can I really lean it more?' it gets freaky but as long as it is performing well keep squeezing all the power you can. I have really learned the past year what an insane difference a good race tune can have on an engine

I've yet to see something like one of those LRP do anything on a Savage that I cannot with my stock F4.6. I imagine some guys will get bent out of shape at this comment but should I lie and say I have seen that? Maybe it's because I'm new I don't have an eye/ear for it, but until I see something (other than on-road high speed runs) with one of those that people seem to 'upgrade' to on a Savage doing something I can't with my stock, I'm good. Not trying to knock it, but simply saying if its tuned/setup well the stock is just as good--based on what I've seen at least. That or I've yet to see an LRP in a Savage that is tuned really well.

I've been rebuilding Savage for the past few months. Understand though I'm not skilled like some of the guys on here to where I can make a 'custom rig'...so instead I've been just taking an iterative approach allowing the vehicle to tell me what it needs. That as opposed with just putting on what I want. Like you, even with the stock I'm really having to tame my low-end. I know guys like to have their MT's 'thrown around like a rag doll', but I want to avoid that. Hell, my 11-year old daughter can throw my Savage around like that).. Instead I'm focused on being able to put the vehicle where I want when I want is how I gauge power.

With that, In the next six weeks I'm throwing what I believe to be some unearthly power (the actual type I've seen do things I can't with my F4.6). So I need to spend some time determining how to best harness it. It'll be a lot of fun learning this stuff. Keep us posted on how you are doing!
yeah i agree, throwing trucks around with aimless power isnt fun, its fun to be able to tame something rather than having it backflip on takeoff and no matter how much you try to handle it, you can't stop it. i think the stock 4.6 is more than enough for bashing and running for fun. Yes it can pull wheelies and land on its top end, even with the XL conversion and bigger tires. if my truck weighs more than a stock XL and can still wheelie its ass off, i think thats plenty! and like most people would say, its all about tuning!:hehe:

That's what's up! It's all about getting from point a to point b as fast as you can. Doesn't matter if you are driving a toy electric around your kitchen, high speed nitro runs on tarmace, crawling, racing, bashing in a construction site, etc...the whole idea is to put the vehicle where you, when you want.

I dont even use a temp gun run it by tune and just touch the top shouldn't burn . And make sure engine is sealed up . Sealed engines are happy ones. Unsealed run hot and dont hold a tune

engine is sealed better than Bill Clintons limo full of chubs lol

I dont even use a temp gun run it by tune and just touch the top shouldn't burn . And make sure engine is sealed up . Sealed engines are happy ones. Unsealed run hot and dont hold a tune

Everyone should own a temp gun they're inexpensive and knowing your general running temps is usually a good thing. If you can touch the top of the head and it not burn your finger, then you're running way to cool. JMO

I had it figured out a long time ago! Thanks anyways lol. This is definitely an oldie

Back