What controller for Thunder Tiger E-MTA

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepretido

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I fired up the ESC in my E-MTA today, it couldn't handle the 6s battery it's supposed to support. What should I choose as a replacement for the original ESC? Now there is ACE RC BLC-150C. The motor is RIPPER IBL40/20 2000kv. I need one that will have 150A and will be able to communicate with the motor and the rest of the components, but I'm not familiar with it and every ESC doesn't have to fit the motor. What would you recommend, and would it be possible to get something without having to get a new motor? It's almost impossible to get an original today, and at ridiculous prices.

Thanks a lot for the advice
Martin

Some esc's to look at: Hobbywing Max8, Hobbywing XR8, Hobbywing 8BL150
Not sure if this is sensored or sensorless? and I don't know what bullets are on the motor, if they aren't the correct size, adapters, or solder on new bullets should be easy.
With that kv motor, I might suggest the Max10 G2 (140A), but its only 4s, not 6s.

If I were to buy a 150A ESC for myself today this is what I would get for peace of mind:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/quicrun-brushless-system/products/quicrun-wp-8bl150

If you want to save a few bucks you can try this one here, but it probably won't last as long:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/c...ss-esc-waterproof-temperature-monitoring.html

The OEM motor is pretty cheap quality and can be found here:
https://racingcar-store.myshopify.c...-1-8-mt4-g3-ace-2000kv-ripper-ibl-40-20-motor

Did the ESC work fine on 4S and then failed on 6S? If so, did you check temps and gear down appropriately?

Last edited:
is anyone going to help educate this person?
unless the motor is censored there is no communication with motor and never any communication with other components.

Thanks a lot guys, I know about 8BL150 V2 for a good price. I don't know if the motor is also damaged but I hope it's not.
The ESC is fried according to this method
TBH I am not 100% sure but found somewhere that the ripper motor is sensorless.
What do you think about this combo?
https://www.jperkins.com/products/ROBR01264
There is also version with 2000kv

Also I was thinking about to complete abandon 6s and go only for 4s. The car is pretty old and the 6s power it too much for it I think and also I don't need that much power. What is the ideal combo for 4s to have same power as the current setup running on 4s? Thanks!

Also I was thinking about to complete abandon 6s and go only for 4s. The car is pretty old and the 6s power it too much for it I think and also I don't need that much power. What is the ideal combo for 4s to have same power as the current setup running on 4s? Thanks!
With that kv motor, I might suggest the Max10 G2 (140A), but its only 4s, not 6s.
^ HW Max10 G2 140A with the lowest kv motor that it comes with, or use the motor you already have if it is still functional.
The G2 140A can be run on 2s on 2400 kv motors and lower if I can remember correctly.
With it, id just watch gearing and temps
2400kv would have a little more top end and speed than the 2000kv stock, but it depends on gearing too.
Or the Hobbywing Max8, 8bl150.
I'm a Hobbywing guy so thats why I know every Hobbywing combo for like the 1/10 and 1/8 scales. Lol.

Ok I'll go probably for hobbywing as you suggested. Is the 4s setup different in power than 6s but with 4s lipos? The Hobbywing 8BL150 V2 is for better price and there is still.this possibility to run 6s with lowered throttle trim.

4S is better for longer bash sessions, 6S is better for speed runs and shorter sessions which require checking temps if you don't gear down per the link I posted in #3 above.

Is it really? I was thinking that by lowering the throttle trim on 6s to match speed of the 4s I can get more bashing time because more voltage means better efficiency.

If you want to improve efficiency on 6S then you would need to reduce the KV rating of the motor where typical 6S setups are in the 1400KV range

I once completed a 20 min race with my 4WD SCT which typically runs a 4000KV motor on 2S but I ran a 1800KV motor on 4S to achieve this drastically improved efficiency with the same net performance.

Guys I found combo for a good price - Reely 100A 4S/6S ESC Motor 4074 2200kv what do you think about it? Reely should be Germand brand, there is really not much info about it. It could be programmable with Hobbywing card, mayne it shares some parts. Here it is on amazon, I can't find much about it on the net - https://www.amazon.sa/-/en/Reely-1600322-Motor-Model-Brushless/dp/B077T77234
Maybe 100A with 4S would be enough and there is still possibility of 6s on it, what do you think? I know it's not hobbywing but it is a combo in a price for one hobbywing esc.

Back