What are the worst diy fixes you have seen on other's vehicles?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

>BD

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Probably when someone glued their Tekin ESC to their 2wd Rustler or when someone glued the front wheel of their 2wd Rustler and I couldn't unscrew the nut because the hux hub was stripped and it had glue all over it.

Most of the things I've done due to being broke

Where do i start? I live in an area where people dont like to send money on their kids "toys", so i have seen some interesting fixes kids have done, like melting a broken control arm back together where it snapped and zip tying it to hold it together (didnt last very long), two part epoxy to hold a chassis together (this one was a bit ingenious though, as he used a two part plastic epoxy, then drilled holes and wrapped zip ties in the holes, then, after the epoxy dried, put another layer of epoxy over the crack and the zip ties, then duck tape over that. It actually held together for a couple months, but made his Slash a bit heavy). zip tied a motor in place (one of the neighborhood kids has a fascination with zip ties), tried to use broken pen springs stacked on top of each other on a shock, glued a cracked wheel back together (ok, so i did that one after i snapped a buggy wheel in half and didnt have anymore while i was waiting on the new ones i ordered. It worked for about a week, until the buggy came down on it wrong), glued a hex into a wheel after it stripped (another one i did when i ran out of hexes for my Arrma Fury. That one actually still works, and its been almost a year. Gorilla Glue applied liberally is amazing lol I ended up ordering aluminum hexes for it, and still havent used them), made temporary bushings out of brake line (nicopp actually works well for it, and, since i work on 1:1 cars, i usually have a bunch laying around). When you have been messing with R/C stuff as long as i have though, you pretty much see it all. At least now we dont make our own battery packs that cause interesting things to happen when they are soldered wrong, like fires, runaway cars, melted chassis, or fused together Mechanical Speed Controllers. Speaking of MSC's, using aluminum foil wrapped around a homemade plastic arm to make them work. I wasn't always successful at it though.