What a day...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was forced to make a few purchases today that I didn't want to do. So this is just a rant about my day.

Came home from work around lunchtime, bad chinese food the night before and didn't feel like dealing with it at work any longer. Get home, wife's not working today, sitting on the couch watching stuff on her laptop and headphones on, before my foot hits the floor "The TV is broke. Says no signal. Happened right after a clap of thunder shook the house". Oh goody.

Seems my AV receiver is toast as was the media PC. Ended up being just the video card in the PC. All other electronics are fine, including the ps3, blu ray, 70" vizio in the living room fine and the 55", blu ray, sound projector in bedroom, main pc and wife's laptop. What was odd was that the two items that died were plugged into the same surge protectors as the devices that were also on at the time that were fine.

Anyway, ended up fussing with it a bit to find out no inputs or outputs worked, hdmi, fiber or coaxial, so it was dead. Then logged back into work to finish up some stuff and while I wait for developers to fix stuff, I was researching a new receiver and a cheap vid card since I don't use the media pc much. I use it more as a file server to host my movie library. After finishing work for the day, pulled the vid card out of my main pc, put it in the media pc, it was fine, so just the Nvidia 650 card was fried. Drove an hour to BestBuy, picked up cheap vid card and a new receiver, hooked up/fixed both. Got the receiver setup enough to eat something while not sitting in silence and staring at a big blank screen.

I ordered a new PC a week ago, it's showing up tomorrow, so my current PC will become my media PC and the media PC will become something I tinker on or sell. Had a buddy that I was going to sell it to for $100 just to get it out of the house, then the lightning happened. So now, I just spent $35 on a PC I was planning to sell for $100. lol.

Now fussing with my stupid programmable remotes because the receiver was different enough that the arrows and whatnot don't work (same brand, newer model). What really sucks is setting up the eq for each channel takes forever and the fact that the receiver that got fried, I got for $250 off the list price since it was a demo model 2 years ago. To get the same features in a current, I had to fork out over $700! But hey, now I have atmos and bluetooth... lol!

For a few hours, my office looked like best buy threw up in it. I was pulling the drives and PSU out of the media PC to throw in a lower wattage spare PSU and cloning the SSD in it to a spare HDD I had. I mean, I'm selling it for $100... he can put in his own SSD. Put the media server drives in my main PC, setup the server software so now my movies are back online. Now I just have to wait for the new PC, then spend a week getting everything setup right.

As a software QA guy... I really feel like an IT guy today.

What a day.

That sucks Olds, but it could have been a LOT worse.
No kidding! Would have sucked to have lost all 3 computers, both TV's, ps3 and blu-ray players. Not a list of stuff I could afford in the same month, that's for sure!

And you have Bluetooth and Dolby Atmos as a bonus.

And you have Bluetooth and Dolby Atmos as a bonus.
The bluetooth is nice. Connected right up to my bose headphones. Wore them today while I made some lunch.

My wife recently/progressively has become hard of hearing. We aren't that old, early 40's, but apparently aging happens whenever. So, I bought a little toslink to bluetooth transmitter and got her a nice set of headphones so she can hear TV better without blasting at the neighbors, and me. It worked very nicely, just powered the device using the a USB port on the back of the TV, plugged the toslink into the TV's output, synced the headphones and done. When the TV turns on, it powers up the device and she turns the headphones on, beeps a couple times and she's good. Then she wanders about the house while listening to the TV or just while watching to hear it better. Since I have everything running HDMI to the receiver and HDMI to the TV, the sound goes along with it and the TV spits it out. I wasn't sure that would work, but it did.

Now I need to figure out if the receiver can send to 2 sets of headphones at the same time, then I can remove that device.

I think the Atmos thing is a bit of a fad... kind of like 3D. That was all the rage for 5 years or so. TV companies charging a premium for the feature. Then it became pretty standard. Now they aren't including it on many TV's anymore. Out of all the blu-rays I've converted, only 2 or 3 had Atmos. They were more troublesome than anything, handbrake didn't care for it. My last receiver was 7 channel, but I only used 5.1 and I still only use 5.1 even though the new one can do 9.1 (9.2 really, 2 subs), I still am going to just use 5.1.

Sorry for the drama! Glad it wasn't worse! Sounds like you've got most of it sorted tho... Glad to hear that too! With the electronics you've got in the house, it seems like it might be worth while to look into a lightning rod or 2. I know they are old school etc, but they DO work! Just a thought. Hope the intestines are settled!

What terrible luck. At least it didn't get worse :)

Finally threw away the old receiver. After digging around online to see how broken it was, it seems the Yamaha HDMI board is prone to failure with power surges and it's highly recommended to not plug HDMI's in or unplug when either the source or receiver is on. Figured it was a bit more robust than that... Considering all the wires and whatnot going to that board and the fact I could only find a picture of one... decided to pitch it so it wasn't sitting here mocking me.

Finally getting the new receiver to sound right. Some things are a pain to setup, like the individual speaker EQ's. Would be nice if you could set one, then just copy to the rest and adjust as needed. Takes forever to get it to sound right. I don't care for how it sound with the auto setup using the microphone. Just sounds too flat for me.

I worked in pro audio for years. Our company built and or maintained most of the big systems in and around Boston for years. It was VERY rare that a microphone setup was EVER used. When it was, it was usually used to get a baseline setting and then modify from there. I can honestly say, I feel your pain! It's a shame you tossed the old receiver. I am pretty good with electronic repairs... Again, in audio and lighting mainly. I would have been happy to look it over for you. At least get you an estimate for repair without raping you!!! Anyway, glad to hear you're not sitting in silence anymore! :thumbs-up:

I worked in pro audio for years. Our company built and or maintained most of the big systems in and around Boston for years. It was VERY rare that a microphone setup was EVER used. When it was, it was usually used to get a baseline setting and then modify from there. I can honestly say, I feel your pain! It's a shame you tossed the old receiver. I am pretty good with electronic repairs... Again, in audio and lighting mainly. I would have been happy to look it over for you. At least get you an estimate for repair without raping you!!! Anyway, glad to hear you're not sitting in silence anymore! :thumbs-up:
I wasn't in silence for more than the few hours it took me to finish work and drive to best buy to get a new one... well, then I rewired the entire thing to have proper 3-prong surge protectors and get all the wiring tidied up a bit. Kind of just kept adding stuff without ever fussing with the wires behind the rack. I now have gold plated banana plugs on order to replace the pin plugs I"m using because I hate them. For no other purpose than I hate using them at this point since it's all wired up already.

If we couldn't use the neutric twist locks, bananas were the way to go... Always. Pins, 1/4" plugs etc are just headaches waiting to happen. Def a worthwhile investment in time!