Weird dual shock mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

What do you think of this idea?

• Awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's terrible

• I plead the fifth!

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, y'all, so I was bored and was just looking at my slash 4x4 wondering how I could make it better without dumping a bunch of money into it, and I had this idea (which would cost a bunch of money). So y'all know how you don't want your suspension so hard that it bounces around, and you don't want it so soft that it bottoms out on big jumps, and it's pretty much impossible to have it soft enough and hard enough, and I knew ppl use dual shocks but that it is still almost impossible to find that happy medium. So I thought of a way (I'm sure someone else has before too) to (hopefully) easily find that happy medium. Tell me if y'all have any thoughts please! I don't have enough money to spare to put my plan into action, but I'll be just as hyped if y'all try it and it works!
Awesome Shock Idea copy.png

wont work..Even if you are the greatest TIG welder in the world Spring will be damaged in welding..whats keeping piston in oil at that level? we have gravity on earth..Nice try but unsure it will work..seen guys make there own dual rate springs come close but close was it never a true Yes moment..

with out spring tension at bottom of shock it will go up until spring stops if get it now?

with out spring tension at bottom of shock it will go up until spring stops if get it now?
yeah, but I was thinking though that you could use these for a dual shock setup

so like, have 8 shocks and then have one set of shock nice and soft and then have these on it at the same time for when you come off jumps

Thats not how you said it in 1st post.. dont see you welding it but go 4 it

Thats not how you said it in 1st post.. dont see you welding it but go 4 it
o okay my bad then, sry. haha I wanna go for it but I don't have the cash rn

There a vid on YouTube somewhere where the use 8shocks on a slash. Pretty cool how he did it.

You can also go with the GTR shocks and get the VDK pistons. That's what I run on my stampede, then I get stiff compression but still have quick rebound. So you end up with a "dual shock" effect that you can adjust with different pistons/springs/oil as needed. I'm still sorting mine out, but got it to a spot that I can live with for now.

Associated 70wt front rear
VG Springs
GTR Shocks VDK pistons drilled out 1/16"

With the high CG and short wheelbase, it's tough to get a setup that works well for big jumps.

You can also go with the GTR shocks and get the VDK pistons. That's what I run on my stampede, then I get stiff compression but still have quick rebound. So you end up with a "dual shock" effect that you can adjust with different pistons/springs/oil as needed. I'm still sorting mine out, but got it to a spot that I can live with for now.

Associated 70wt front rear
VG Springs
GTR Shocks VDK pistons drilled out 1/16"

With the high CG and short wheelbase, it's tough to get a setup that works well for big jumps.
nice, my idea though was to have the car run like it has soft suspension when you're just driving but run like it has hard suspension when you're jumping without having to change the shock spring or put any spacers in

I know savage guys used to use an 8 shock setup, 4 with springs, 4 without, not 100% sure to what end, guess they couldn't find the spring rate they wanted to work with 8 springs.

Back