wat to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avw2008

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm a beginning racer. Recently i have been looking to buy a Truck to get me started. Before yesterday i had been totally gung ho on buying a jato until i went to a race at my local hobbyshop and a very expierienced racer told me it was not the way to go. He told me if i wanted to look into stadium trucks io should check out the HPI MT 2, and if i want to look at monster trucks i should really head in the Revo direction. I just want a second opinion.
Help?

Also i want something that i can drive off road in grass as well as in dirt and street.

Well, if you want a ST, and want to race, I reccomend the team losi xxx-nt. It's a great truck, but as w/ any rc, needs a few little things to be done before you take it out on the track. IMO, it's the most raceable in stock form compared to the rc10gt or jato.

Well, the Revo is a great basher and racer alike. It does have weak points, but they arent expensive like the t-maxx weak points. I dont think you can race an MT2 because it is 4wd and most other stadium trucks are 2wd. Racing st's (stadium trucks) is pretty much between to vehicles.. The rc10gt, and the Losi xxxnt. Those are the two main racing st's. For mt's, the revo is an excellent racing truck. Truggys are also great racing trucks, but they cost a bit more... The Savage is a good basher, but not suited for racing...

I'd have to agree losi truck or ae truck is the way to go if you want to race.

the thing was this guy was like a really good racer and everything he had like 17 yrs. of expierience, and i think he was trying to throw me right into the fire. I'm very willing to step up later but for now i'd like to get to know the feel o something that can crash a few times. it doesn't have to be the fastest thing on the track but i want to be able to compete. depending on wat class i get into i'd be racing against revos and tmaxx's. in the st class i'd be racing against 2 jatos and a couple of rustlers.
so could yu give me a recommendation for each class, and then something to step up to after i get good?
thanx 4 your help

If you want to race MT go with a revo, its quick out of the box and pretty durable.

The thing with st trucks is they are much more fragile then any other class. If you plan on racing I would go with a losi or Associated truck, if your bashing then it wouldn't really matter.

Ya, if you want an MT, the revo would be a great truck. Good handling, durable, ect. But needs some things before racing like tires, and a few other things.
On the xxx-nt, it really doesn't need anything IMO, except maybe tires if the stock ones don't work for your track. And in my experience, ST's really aren't fragile IF you take some precuations that cost very little to nothing.

stadiums are cheaper to maintain, easier to work on, and less work to be done when work must be done.

-ult

UltegraSTI said:
stadiums are cheaper to maintain, easier to work on, and less work to be done when work must be done.

-ult

This is true, BUT.....they are not as durable as a MT, and the tires are expensive for a MT, but they last a LOT longer than ST tires. I can remember hitting pipes and thinking," thank God I have a 1/8th scale!" b/c a 1/10 would have broken into bits with the hit. BUT they are a lot cheaper to maintain......

I would go with something the LHS carries. the Losi and rc10gt are the 2 main racing trucks, and the MST-1 is a great truck if the LHS carries the parts. Shy away from the HPI MT-2 BUT if the track allows it you COULD run it, but if you start to win then the other racers will complain. The Jato is a stout truck,and can be a good racer, but I say the GT or Losi.

they are as durable on a track, maybe moreso. u can't do this bashin stuff w/them. tires are more for MTs (22-27bux vs 12-17). jeff i really dig it. u runnin this wkend?

-ult

Ya, ST's are really durable...especially if you boil the suspension pieces...

ST: Evader-buy a used rolling from EBAY and add a new engine, i learned my painful experience. MT: I go SAVAGE. I am currently own a TMAXX, SAVAGE and a Evader. The Evader gives me the most satisfaction on speed, race, and drifting. My SAVAGE gives me the most satsfaction on the days when i want to abuse it. My TMAXX is a boat on the ground that i can hardly control the on road stability.....Hope this helps......fianl advise is that TRAXXAS products not worth so much $$ b/c of their poor 2.5 engine. Buy a used rolling for any model and add a BRAND NEW motor that you like and this will never goes wrong...

LOL, dont get a Savage if you plan to race. NOT the best race truck around.

Never had a Evader, i'm only going by what the guys at the track run/talk about. can't go wrong with the GT or Losi

The TRX 2.5 is a GREAT mill,I loved it in my Rustler, tons of power. Some people dont like them,maybe there are some bad ones, but mine ran great.

psunitro said:
LOL, dont get a Savage if you plan to race. NOT the best race truck around.

true but with some $$ it could be a decent race truck.

YUP, and with enough $$ ANYTHING can be a racer.........

yeh i noticed a car action issue in the LHS, race revo that 'kill's trug's. budget 2200bux.

uh.....yeaahhhh.......right....

-ult

psunitro said:
YUP, and with enough $$ ANYTHING can be a racer.........

Anything?

Hyperbrick.gif

Back