Wasp .28 Vs Fantom FR27 Vs Sirio S27S

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITEMARE

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm putting a new motor in my Mad Force and I want something with some RPM. Those motors are what I narrowed it down to.

All are ~2.9hp. The Wasp & Fantom have slightly higher RPM (~43000) Vs the Sirio 39000rpm

Looking for opinions.

Last edited:
I added my favorite engine to the mix.
They didn't have a stat for the Ofna/Picco .27, which is what I run.
Werks/Picco .27 is the same with a gold head.

Manufacturer/Model Ofna Picco Outlaw .26
Size Other
HP 2.7 hp
Bore .26 mm
Stroke Not Available
Ports 7
Weight Not Available
Crank SG & Threaded
Contstruction ABC
Displacement .26 ci
Type On and Off Road
Exhaust Rear
Carb Slide
RPM Range 37,000 max
Pull Starter? PS and Non-PS versions
Description This Italian manufactured engine is extreme high performance, incorporating all the state-of-the-art features necessary to win world championships. Mega-sized displacement at .26 (4.27cc) in a specially constructed .21 crankcase with ABC piston and sleeve. This motor will fit in nearly every vehicle
More here ...

Webpage Website
Est. Street Cost $160 - $195

Last edited:
How about the RB 728? It is supposed to be a killer engine... its price is around $275...

Well, everyone says that the wasp and FR27 are the same, and the fact is that the FR27 has been discontinued, and won't be easy to find.... why? So they can make way for their new italian-bred FR28...

What are you looking to spend? I would go with a novarossi .28 they have some for right around $200, and will out power, out run, outlast any of those 3 you mentioned.

I have a Wasp .28 and love it...but if you are looking for tons of power the Sirio would probably be the best in your options. If you want to go up to a .30 take a look at the Collari .30. Collari engines are awesome and I hear the .30 is insane.

Out of the 3 you mentioned I would recommend the Sirio simply due to their craftsmanship and the amount of power they produce. I don't think either of them would be a bad choice but the Sirio would be the best

I appreciate you guys suggesting other motors, however, I dont want to go with a motor that turns less than 39,000rpm. This is why I came up with the 3 that I have. I clocked my Mad Force @ 37mph the other day with the stock GX.21. The GX.21 is a very reliable motor and I would put my GX.21 up against anyone elses from the way I tuned it and the mods I've done, but it is limited to 28,000rpm. :(

We want "R's" fellas!

The rpm's will help with top end, but only a little.
Gear that baby for more top end.
You'll see a BIG difference.

vbgagnon said:
What are you looking to spend? I would go with a novarossi .28 they have some for right around $200, and will out power, out run, outlast any of those 3 you mentioned.

Theyre all torque and not even close to the RPM as the others. I dont want just a wheelie monster. I have that now. I want something that will have some top speed also.

If you have a wheelie monster regear it. DOn't go and drop 200 on a new mill go and spend $20 on a new clutchbell. Sounds like you just want to blow some cash and not think this through.

vbgagnon said:
If you have a wheelie monster regear it. DOn't go and drop 200 on a new mill go and spend $20 on a new clutchbell. Sounds like you just want to blow some cash and not think this through.

I own a Kyosho Mad Force with a 3 speed. There are no gear options for me.
So, yes. I have thought this through. Thanks for your concern about my cash spending, though.

The Wasp is very reliable for me and can turn some serious RPMs. But, the Sirio will have better craftmanship and will probably last longer.

the owner of Fantom admitted that those specs are a lil trumped up due to the fact that wasp put some unreal specs on their website....I hace a fantom .27 and it is still unreal on RPMs.....they did discontinue the line but you can get em cheap now.....I'd say Sirio out of those 3 but the rossi 421b hottinger mod would be the best bet for real high RPMs and just stump pulling grunt....

Incase anyone cares, I went wih the Sirio S27S. Should be here in a week or so. I'll keep everyone posted.

Back