Vintage Nitro Hawk

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watertrucker

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Scored a Traxxas Nitro Hawk. I also found a complete Image .12 engine for it to replace the Pro .15 This will be a fun summer project! Does anybody have any idea what the body shell is from? Don't think it's original.

@watertrucker looking forward to this build, I haven't seen a Traxxas Nitro Hawk in ages. The body you have on there now looks like an older Proline Hummer body.

Here is a picture of the old stock body:
Traxxas-Nitro-Hawk.jpg

Thanks Woodie. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

It looks like an old gold pan rc10 chassis! Love to know how the build goes!

Thanks Mike. I got an extra pan along with it. The Image .12 will be here next week. Can't wait to get started on it.

Nice! Keep us posted! It looks like an interesting build! I'm curious to know how it goes. I was talking with someone here recently about him doing a gold pan nitro conversion and I was thinking that it would run too top heavy and be too narrow... So this one really has me curious. If you get a chance, curious to know how wide the front and rear is.

image.jpeg
Hey Mike, sorry I took so long to get back to you. The front of the pan is 1 3/4 , the back is 2 9/16 , at the widest part it is 5 3/8. If you could use that extra pan, I'd be happy to send it to you. I'll never use it

Thank you! I actually just wanted to know for the comparison to the RC10 gold pan chassis. I have spoken to a couple and seen a few other threads where ppl are considering the elec to nitro conversions... I just always thought that chassis wasn't the right choice for a swap, as cool as it may be. Thanks for the offer on the chassis but it will be unlikely that I'd ever put it to good use. I'll bet someone out there would be THRILLED to have found a good chassis for their resto. Really, thank you!!!
In case you were curious, the gold pan is 2 5/8" front, rear (at motor) 2 1/8" widest 5 1/2" and over all length 15 1/2". All are very approximated so don't anyone use these as law!!! ;)
Comparing the RC10 gold to the RC10GT chassis, the pans themselves aren't a while lot different. However, the lengths of the arms is considerably different! The arms in the nitro are a lot longer. Adjusting there and the ride heights would make a huge difference, possibly making the conversion a reasonable swap... That is, if you don't mind a lot of customizing. I still wouldn't do it as I am a bit of a purist but to each his/her own! :thumbs-up:

While waiting for the Image .12, I started looking for another body for the Hawk project. I found this Nitro Stampede with an older Rustler body and an MIP 360 Stinger Pipe. Needless to say I now have 2 projects to work on. I want use the vintage Rustler body on the Hawk and get a different body for the Pede.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 299
I like the paint on that as well as the lid itself. Nice find! The stinger is cool too! Seems like a while lot of header tubing to make the exhaust come out pretty much straight back tho. (If I'm seeing the pic right?)

image.jpeg
Image .12 is in. Just need to install RX and re-do the fuel lines.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's about ready to go. Has a 2.4 ghz radio system. I just need to tinker a little more with the gear mesh.

That's a very cool looking rig! How does she go? It looks like a pretty lightweight truck overall. I'll bet that .12 snaps it right to life! Another killer find/build!!!:thumbs-up:

Thanks Mike. I haven't ran it yet, temps over 110 degrees, so I have to wait for a break in the weather. It feels really light so it should go pretty good.

Thanks C ! Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.:)

Ugh! I HOPE we are thru with the heat and humidity here for a while. Dry heat isn't usually so bad but 110 is HOT no matter how dry it is! Stay cool!!!

Thanks RSee! Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to running it yet. As usual life gets in the way. I'll let you know when I do get to run it. I really want to see how that Image .12 runs.

Fingers crossed there are still some Nitro Hawk fans out there with old parts. Bringing my 1 owner all original Nitro Hawk back to life this weekend with my 8 year old son. We got it running with the original Image 12 engine in it. However, the one way bearing or roller clutch went out (item 3211) That's the only problem we had. I had another used over version I put the pins back in and it last for one run and it went out. Bought a new 5211 and punched out the bearing to put in the Image 12 housing but it won't fit, too long. Anyone here have any working 3211 one way bearings for the pull starter on the Image 12?

IMG_1997.jpg