Vintage nitro engine from airplane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3fingerj

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a vintage fox .40 airplane engine. Is there any way I can put a pullstarter on it and put it into my Traxxas slayer pro nitro 4x4 truck??

Not really. The crankshaft won't have the right bits to take a starter, nor do ready-made backplates exist to put one on.

If you can make the engine mounts fit, you might be able to make it work as a bump start, but again, far more effort than it would be worth.

It would run poorly, with a high & rough idle due to the airplane-style carb without a low-speed needle, limited top end maybe half what surface nitro engines produce, and it would be prone to overheating due to its small cooling head and the low airflow it would receive compared to intended use in an airplane.

Not really. The crankshaft won't have the right bits to take a starter, nor do ready-made backplates exist to put one on.

If you can make the engine mounts fit, you might be able to make it work as a bump start, but again, far more effort than it would be worth.

It would run poorly, with a high & rough idle due to the airplane-style carb without a low-speed needle, limited top end maybe half what surface nitro engines produce, and it would be prone to overheating due to its small cooling head and the low airflow it would receive compared to intended use in an airplane.
16825605993944720608715210535726.jpg
16825605993944720608715210535726.jpg
well this has a low ,high and an idle , ifim not mistaken

View attachment 164338View attachment 164338well this has a low ,high and an idle , ifim not mistaken

Well I'll be, I didn't know such things existed! Thanks for sharing! That's also a pretty funky crankshaft, never seen one with lugs like that. That engine may have some value as a collector's item which you could sell towards the purchase of a Dynamite .19T or something else purpose-built for the Traxxas platform.