Using Slash 4x4 with 1/8 GT bodies: downsides to using +6mm offset hubs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nautilus

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Most 1/8 GT cars (which are based on 1/8 buggies) are going to have track widths of 305-307mm.

The Slash 4x4 has a track width of 296mm, so when using 1/8 GT bodies the Slash's wheels do not fill out the wheel wells.

Hot Racing offers 17mm hubs for the Slash with +6mm offset, which would increase the Slash's effective width to 308 mm. This would allow the Slash to fill out the wheel wells of 1/8 GT bodies.

I was wondering if the performance downsides to using offset hubs outweigh the benefits though. I understand that steering will be slowed and the car will shift towards more understeer. I am also pretty sure there is more strain placed on the steering servo. On the plus side, the car should obviously be more stable with reduced chance of rolling over.

Right now I am leaning towards just living with the stock aesthetics.

What are people's opinions on this?

Here's what to expect:

1694190968569.png

I was wondering if the performance downsides to using offset hubs outweigh the benefits though. I understand that steering will be slowed and the car will shift towards more understeer. I am also pretty sure there is more strain placed on the steering servo. On the plus side, the car should obviously be more stable with reduced chance of rolling over.
Whatever theoretical difference setup wizards indicate and pro drivers would notice will be far outweighed by the fact that you’re driving a Slash. It’s not a fine track instrument like an X-Ray touring car.

Just go for the extra offset. It’ll look great and you’ll have fun driving the car. If you do get some understeer it can be fixed with other setup changes.

If your mainly on road, I don't "think" this will be an issue, but be aware of it. If you are using wider hub and/or wheels it puts more stress on the axles. The Slash axles are a weak point too. I'm broken a few jumping it (or more like landing it). The break where the retaining pin goes through the Axle.
1694199618849.png

The other negative is you might see is more bump steer. More leverage means the bumps have more effect on the chassis.

On the upside you will have a wider track and it should be more stable.

Back