using hi tec 985 as single steering servo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
i would like to use the above mentioned servo but have a few questions.

Which servo horn do i need to use that is compatible, with this servo.

Are there any other alum arms that will work since i can't find the proline one anywhere?

I already purchased the heavy duty spring.

ended up buying the traxxas servo kit for like $9 comes with throttle servo horn as well. anyone know of a alum version for either servo horn?

thanks

part number just in case someone needs it
5345X

I just hack at the plastic red one that comes with hitec servos. Have yet to strip or break one. The 985MG was my "go to" servo for years. I used them religiously for steering and gas/brake because they were pretty strong, fast and most importantly, sealed with o-rings on the output shaft. Great little servos that last a very long time.

the horn on mine is black and the holes are too small and too close. no way to make the hole bigger without combining it with holes next to it.

I generally prefer savox servos but what I normally do is get my gear from amain which includes a strc single servo arm and top the servo with a dynamite ali arm both items are around $20 for the pair and work great .
you will have to grind some areas to allow full steering travel once this mod is done but once you do its a night and day difference

I tried a savox waterproof one. Causes my other servo to twitch. Guessing it's the current draw or something. The last revo I picked up needed new servos, so I put a trusted 985MG on the t/b and savox SW-0231 for steering. Aside from the twitching it caused, it's a fairly decent servo for $50.

The Savox do draw a lot of current and have been known to cause brown out issues because of that, Olds.

Back