Using CastleLink with Sidewinder when using with CC-BEC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just a quick Q. I finally got a CC-BEC (thanks to Charlie and Joe *again*) and I know you have to disconnect the red wire on the Sidewinder when you plug it into the reciever if you use a CC-BEC also.

My question is does disconnecting the red wire on the Sidewinder receiver cable stop it working on the Castle Link board?

I thought it used this wire to power the Sidewinder when it was on USB.

Sooo... did no-one understand the question or what?

yes, if i understand u right, having the red wire unhooked will make it so u can't use the link BUT just leave both ends of the red wire stripped so when u hook up the link u can twist it back together and the link will work. atleast thats how mine is.

Bah. That means I've got to put a plug in the middle of it! I don't do twisting together bare wire, not when the programming on my Sidewinder depends on it :p

Thanks Slow.

I found a real cool 2mm banana plug and socket in my dad's supplies and soldered them inline. I disconnect and insulate both sides when they are on the model, and when I load the Sidewinder up on the PC, I just plug em together before I attach he USB interface to the receiver plug. Works like a charm, both on and off the model! :)

nice, i never thought of that, although it took me along time to figure out that i had to hook the red wire back together to make the link work.

Next time, you can just get a receiver extension, and cut the wire on the extension. Then you use the extension when it's in the truck, and hook it up to the castle link without the extension. It also allows you to take the ESC back to stock configuration with no altered wiring in case you were to sell it or use it in another project.

Last edited:
Next time, you can just get a receiver extension, and cut the wire on the extension. Then you use the extension when it's in the truck, and hook it up to the castle link without the extension. It also allows you to take the ESC back to stock configuration with no altered wiring in case you were to sell it or use it in another project.

lol yeah but then it ends up looking like mine wich resemble a box of christmas lights all tangled up lol.

Well it's just one 3 inch extension, bundled up and zip tied. It's not long extensions, a BEC, servos, and two servo stretchers lol.