Using Car Brake Cleaner to clean RC Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyo007

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all,

A local hobby store recommended using Car Brake Cleaner to spray in RC Nitro Engine to clean it and the carb.

See photo attached.

Any views or experiences please?

Thank you

EF2AFA48-11FD-4B8B-B6D2-48286FC9012F.jpeg

thank you WoodiE

Woukd you just spray a few bursts into the hole with the glow plug out?

Don't! You will push all the dirt from the carburetor inside the engine. Take it out and clean it separately.

@Rickyo007 do not clean the carb while it's attached to the nitro engine. Do as @Tzicul says and remove the carburetor, then clean it.

Personally, I keep carb cleaner away from RC. It will destroy a body in seconds and probably isn't great for any of the o-rings in your engine/carb either.

I take my carbs apart, clean with DA and a q-tip. I clean the outside with DA and a toothbrush, then rinse everything with water. If you want to clean the inside of the engine, you have to take it apart, clean each part however you want, but he coat everything with a thin oil, usually after run oil, or it will oxidize and/or rust pretty quickly.

I'm with Olds. That stuff is made to break down brake dust, not be safe around tiny o rings. If I were going to use that, the least I'd do is get the chlorine free version.

Back