Upgrading My Son's Slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well the time has come and we want to upgrade the Slash. I can't get it done for Christmas but,I can start aquiring the parts. So if someone can help point me in the right direction, here's what I want to accomplish:

Brushless
LiPo Batt.
Better cornering - eliminate the inside wheel spinning or coming off the ground.
Inexspensive as possible,longer run time is the main goal,not high speed/power.

Thanks for any help
Randy

I added a front swaybar to mine. The front wheel doesn't lift anymore. My chassis redesign might attribute to that, but i feel the bar was a huge help. I made it myself for less than 7 dollars. I'll put a pic up soon.

Well if you are looking at inexspensive then I would probably leave Lipo off the table for now, As far as drivetrain upgrades you could install the Velineon brushless system for about $159.99 and just run your Nimh's. This would give you waterproof brushless power and you can run either nimh or lipo. Handling- When you say inside wheel spinning I am assuming that you are talking about the rear, if so take the tranny apart and repack the diff with heavy 30k-50k wt oil and that should lock up the diff and eliminate most of that issue. Also it wouldn't hurt to get some RPM parts on that thing for durability, they are cheap and strong.

traxxas also has the trade in program. You can trade in your stock electronics and get the brushless kit for cheaper. Just a thought.

Well if you are looking at inexspensive then I would probably leave Lipo off the table for now

Actually there's a thread here with a link to some $20 LiPo's. That's cheap enough for me.

As far as drivetrain upgrades you could install the Velineon brushless system for about $159.99 and just run your Nimh's. This would give you waterproof brushless power and you can run either nimh or lipo.

So the Vilineon system is ok? I have found a deal for a new set-up for $125,anything cheaper?

Handling- When you say inside wheel spinning I am assuming that you are talking about the rear, if so take the tranny apart and repack the diff with heavy 30k-50k wt oil and that should lock up the diff and eliminate most of that issue.

Yeah, I meant the rear wheel unloading and spinning. I figured the heavier diff oil would be the answer.

Also it wouldn't hurt to get some RPM parts on that thing for durability, they are cheap and strong

Why? We haven't broken a single stock part yet! Maybe the brushless/LiPo will change that.

Real happy with the Velineon, when I was talking about the Lipo thing I meant the cost of charger and battery. $20 Lipos? is that Hobby king or whatever it is? The cheapest Lipo I have is a cheap battery packs one and it was still $70 for 7.4 v 4500 mah but it works great.

Real happy with the Velineon, when I was talking about the Lipo thing I meant the cost of charger and battery. $20 Lipos? is that Hobby king or whatever it is? The cheapest Lipo I have is a cheap battery packs one and it was still $70 for 7.4 v 4500 mah but it works great.

Yep,that's Hobby King I am talking about. I have recently upgraded my battery charger, so I'm good there :)

Here's the Battery

Whats nice is turning the LVC on/off on the velineon is real quick so you can switch between Lipo and Nimh mid bash. besides my lipos I have an 8 cell 5000 mah nimh pack that I like to run in the slash for grins once in awhile as well.

Very cool, I just haven't ordered from there yet since I know they are in china. How long does it take to ship it to you and how bad is the shipping?

International (Registered) Air Mail 251-500g $12.12
EMS Express to USA (MAX 1kg) $25.95
EMS Express to USA (under 500g) $18.95

Postage information
EMS EXPRESS: 3-5 Day delivery.
Air Parcel: 6-21 Day delivery.
Air Mail: 7-30 Day delivery.
Air Mail (Registered): 10-30 Day delivery

Nice I guess I could have looked myself:) not bad if you get it within a week.

Well I think I've about got everything,just a trip to the LHS for some diff fluid and shock oil and we're set. Here's what I've got, it should make me ......errrr....ummm......my son enjoy this truck more :D

brushless-lipo.JPG

Very nice! Looks like you're all set. Good upgrades right there. Make sure you have the lipo LVC turned on with the VXL, easy to do but just as easy to forget to enable it.

FYI You won't get that grin off either of your faces for at least a couple days. :)

Of course it is for your son, everytime somebody ask's me the MERV, Rustler, and Mcx are my Son's, but the Nitros and Slash's are mine:thumbup:

Back