Upgrades update

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
It's not like I am welcomed here much anymore, but I wanted to just post an update on my truck.

recent purchases:
8x New shocks ~purple
8x all new bearings for wheels
1x alum servo saver ~blue
2x alum steering arms ~purple
1x New battery box
1x New hump back battery pack(as suggested) traxxas brand
4x all new drive cups(again)
2x tiki .15 motors(40 shipped) I know, they aren't produced, and they aren't much of anything, there motors for me to learn and play with
1x front drive bone
1x losi water/dust proof air filter (as suggested)
3x exaust manifold gasket
2x exaust manifold screws
1x exaust coupler ~pink
1x pinion gear upgraded
10x e clips
past:
New chassis, motor mounts, .20 smartech, all new rims and tires, New fuel lines, New brake linkage, all new drive cups(lost grub screws bc no locktite) 2 speed tranny(need new spur gear bc didn't use lock tire on motor mount screws), New steering servo,

Future purchases:
alum upper and lower front and back arms along with carriers( I found cheap ones, 9 for a set of arms, so basically I can hop it up for under 50)

I finally have the brakes set up so they actually work now thank God.

Go with RPM A arms. They're the best out there. Alloy will bend or snap with a bad hit and the RPMs will spring back for more.

Do not waste your money on aluminum arms. It's the biggest scam in the RC world.

Rolex nailed it....RPM arms are the best (and no--they do not make them for RedCat). Just stock up on the stock ones. This is where RedCat/Exceed really pisses me off. They KNOW alum arms are ridiculous and make absolutey no sense...yet they prey on people new to the hobby with that crap. Ugh!

thanks nerd for the advice, also did some research, even though it's an eye candy, it could destroy the front end, so I would leave those stock, but I feel as though the back would be alright as it takes a lot less hitting. thoughts?
I know I'm going to get alum wheel carriers though!

I've got my big package today, pretty much done reassembling it, this time I used rtv( in place as locktite, on everything that's not plastic, motor mounts grub screws)
last little bit I have to do is move my shocks where there mounted to a lower hole

I feel as if this truck is about maxed out if you know what I mean.
soon I will start saving up for a" name brand"

Do what you can. Dont worry about "name brand" if that was the case i would be living under a bridge with 30 rc car lol. This hubby is expensive as heck BUT you can always build an rc.....
Check out dollarhobbyz. You can pick a car/truck you want and lil by lil you can order parts and build as you go.....take your time. If you do the end result will be epic...

Do what you can. Dont worry about "name brand" if that was the case i would be living under a bridge with 30 rc car lol. This hobby is expensive as heck BUT you can always build an rc.....
Check out dollarhobbyz. You can pick a car/truck you want and lil by lil you can order parts and build as you go.....take your time. If you do the end result will be epic...

Lol fixed. But I'm not cheap........ js:D

Haha I agree, honestly between you guys and me, I've got about 475 into my truck, but I've got a lot of backup stuff, and it keeps accumulating lol, she wouldn't be happy if she knew how much, but I'm enjoying it!

now that I'm past the just get it done and run it stage, I'm actually taking care of it, been doing a lot of cleaning, cleaned both diffs the other day!
she's starting to look very nice!
tonight a dressed the shocks, bent the old ones straight so I have 6 brand new shocks for backup lol and I got her to sit about 55mm which is almost twice as high as stock! and it actually bounces back up when pushed down!! that's new to me with the working shocks lol
I'm really starting to.be proud of what I've built(or rebuilt)

---------- Post added at 6:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:23 PM ----------

Do what you can. Dont worry about "name brand" if that was the case i would be living under a bridge with 30 rc car lol. This hubby is expensive as heck BUT you can always build an rc.....

this actually sounds so perfect for me, as that's how I like doing stuff, I'm hands on and I love building!

My tool bad that has been sitting around is now my RC bag with all my tools and parts and everything

I'm kinda crazy with rc's. One day i spend $600 next day i sell or jump something with it and break it.
The wife says that i like to fixx them more then playing with them. Just picked up 4 more rigs this week and who knows they may be gone tomorrow.

Hey maybe I'll buy some!
I love working on stuff and bringing it back to life!
this thing might be a redcat but it's one of the best out there!
buying rollers would be better for me, small down payment and small amounts here and there, works better then 600, and I enjoy building them too =)

Stock Emaxx brushless edition roller $175 shipped to your door. All you'll need is motor,esc,servos,body,and radio. If not its getting launched 30-40 feet in the air this weekend.

Spotless. Except the rock sliders and skids. Those are beat to poop.

I'll consider that as long as it's washed and waxed. :D
Turtle Wax said that you can not have a jeep as you're already stressing their current ability to supply you with enough wax for your RCs....:p:

awaiting a new servo arm, new spur gear, and the two motors in the mail

today I'm pretty sure my compression went down, ether that or the motor is used to running with air leaks.. starts and runs till it's warmed up then likes to die, might be my tuning but I'm pretty sure not. all I've done since Tuesday is put my new coupler and exaust gasket on motor wise....not. ran fine on Tuesday. it also still makes that horrid Klink Klink when turning over

called rcrenew, told me to send both motors out to examine for free, and see what's needed. will most likely have to repinch both for 40. he also listened to the motor and strongly believes something isn't right about the pnp...

I feel that the fact that I went with a cheap pnp .20 motor I got what I paid for, a cheaply made motor. I feel a little was my fault but mainly that klinking I feel,

so I'm going to buy a gallon of fuel soon, and I'm going to take my time and make sure I break my motors in right and do everything that's needed. the tokis will be learning motors

for my next main purchase I will be getting a hpi nitro star t3.0. brand new with carb and pull start for 80 shipped on eBay.

Last edited:
Good to hear it's coming together bud. Yeah the clinking noise in a motor is never really a good sound. Hope it works out for you. Keep us updated. Best of luck bud. You'll get there. We all started somewhere and you don't become a expert overnight so take your time and patience and you'll be alright.

Back