Upgraded my T-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple updates. Ofna 086 pipe, UE Supermaxx springs (way better than the regular Ofna LX 1 springs, Tekno RC axle carriers. Unfortunately I think I killed my tranny. I though it was initially the clutch, but after changing that the truck still wouldn't roll. I can grab the spur gear and turn it to make the truck move forward, but if I put any resistance in front of the truck, the spur/tranny just spins. I'm gonna tear it down tomorrow to see. I took it down to my buddies house for him to bless it and it just sat in his garage all weekend. Thank goodness I took a backup. So if my tranny is dead, any recommendations for an upgrade?

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8287.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

IMG_8308.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

I'll take to one on the right but I am sure the T-maxx is cheaper on insurance.....lol. I would do Robinson Racing gears if you have not already. That is about as strong as you can get for a Maxx tranny.

<3 the benz. those rims are epic.
one thing i will say is that it is possible to get a plastic slipper and transmission to work with a .28 nitro on the tmaxx platform. it requires an exact setting on the slipper on the spur though. one of the benefits of this is that you keep the rotational mass in the transmission to a minimum, and that way all the torque that 28 makes goes to the ground, and not to overcoming inertia in the transmission case. if i had to guess what went in your transmission, i would guess it was the one way bearing.

Last edited:
I shelled out the plastic gears twice before I went Robinson. Don't waste your time on the stock. Who cares about a little extra rotational mass when you have three times the power as stock. You can stay plastic spur but no way the tranny will hold up. Most of the power you have is already wasted due to lack of traction so i would just go for upgrade.

Just pulled the tranny and broke it down. Looks like I only broke the pin that goes here:

broken.png

Event though the manual lists it as 5394x, it seems more like the 5390 (2x9.8mm) pin is the correct part number that I need. The gears actually look fine. Probably won't replace anything besides the pin and the FOC since they come as a set.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

<3 the benz. those rims are epic.
one thing i will say is that it is possible to get a plastic slipper and transmission to work with a .28 nitro on the tmaxx platform. it requires an exact setting on the slipper on the spur though. one of the benefits of this is that you keep the rotational mass in the transmission to a minimum, and that way all the torque that 28 makes goes to the ground, and not to overcoming inertia in the transmission case. if i had to guess what went in your transmission, i would guess it was the one way bearing.

RennTech wheels on the benz.....Renntech performance kit on it. Noting like a quiet car making lots of HP. All three of those cars have major upgrades. The viper is a Heffner twin turbo making 1300hp +. It's scary fast.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

I shelled out the plastic gears twice before I went Robinson. Don't waste your time on the stock. Who cares about a little extra rotational mass when you have three times the power as stock. You can stay plastic spur but no way the tranny will hold up. Most of the power you have is already wasted due to lack of traction so i would just go for upgrade.

Which of the Robinson kits did you go with?

i have blown that pin before. when i fixed it i took some teflon shims and took all of the slop and play out of my trans so the line up on the gears was perfect. its been golden ever since. but joey does have a good point about traction and loss of power.

Last edited:
There's a tt viper out here in stl built by underground. It runs 12s cause all that it does is blow the tires off. Lol nice truck though.

I have the Revo/T-Maxx kit. My LRP was modded so it was also putting out more than stock so if i was running out hard when it would shift in to second it would shell the gearbox. I did it twice....that is when I ran out of spare gears in the tool box and installed the R&R gears. Never had a problem since. In all reality I have way more power than I can use...but that is half the fun of it right? The only thing more fun than too much power, is WAY too much power.

rrpc8007.jpg

Just pulled the tranny and broke it down. Looks like I only broke the pin that goes here:

broken.png

Event though the manual lists it as 5394x, it seems more like the 5390 (2x9.8mm) pin is the correct part number that I need. The gears actually look fine. Probably won't replace anything besides the pin and the FOC since they come as a set.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

RennTech wheels on the benz.....Renntech performance kit on it. Noting like a quiet car making lots of HP. All three of those cars have major upgrades. The viper is a Heffner twin turbo making 1300hp +. It's scary fast.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Which of the Robinson kits did you go with?

sick cars especially the viper and awesome garage too.

any progress on your other maxx??

also i have the 086 pipe and manifold on my maxx but i did a lil grinding and drilled a new hole on the manifold so i could rotate it on the engine so the pipe sits a lil closer to the chassis. just looks a lil better.

I ended up using a JP-4 pipe. I think I will go to the JP-2 for top end since torque is obviously not a concern with a modded LRP. It was a fun but frustrating at times project project.

sick cars especially the viper and awesome garage too.

any progress on your other maxx??

also i have the 086 pipe and manifold on my maxx but i did a lil grinding and drilled a new hole on the manifold so i could rotate it on the engine so the pipe sits a lil closer to the chassis. just looks a lil better.

I can't event think about that other truck. Ordered the part that was supposed to be correct direct from FLM. Turned out to be the same length shaft that I had. I don't see how anyone can build/design a group of parts and they don't work together. The bad thing is I emailed them immediately after receiving the part saying that it didn't work. I haven't heard anything back from them about it. I'll be putting together a different thread about that truck in the next couple of days.

I'll be doing something similar for my 086 pipe. I put the tranny back together last night. I'll probably go ahead and order that tranny kit to have as a standby if either of my trucks has tranny issues.

---------- Post added at 8:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:04 AM ----------

I ended up using a JP-4 pipe. I think I will go to the JP-2 for top end since torque is obviously not a concern with a modded LRP. It was a fun but frustrating at times project project.

haha.....I'm hoping I'll get to drive this truck today. I picked up another body for it. Probably keeping the stock body on it til I get it completely road ready. As usual waiting on more stuff to come in......outer bearings for the new axle carriers, exhaust mount, internal stickers, and paint. Heading down to Destin FL for the weekend so hopefully I can have some stuff to play with down there.

Reviving an old post here. This truck was a blast to drive. That ABmods .28 is a beast. I put this truck on the shelf after it died at the end of a bashing session. Symptoms appeared to be a busted tranny. So after I got the brushless bug, I've since converted my Jato 3.3 and one of my Ofna LX1's. I've also picked up a couple of roller Mugens and a mini e-revo. This left me with my FLM T-maxx garage queen that I've never run and my basher T-maxx. I broke down the basher with the intent of stripping it down and selling off all of the parts. Low and behold, the only thing that was wrong with it was the set screw came off of the front drive cup. I've decided to convert it to brushless too. Look for a new post on that build.