Upgraded my T-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_visiting

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my brother and I have gotten into RC's over the last 2 years (my first was a Grasshopper when I was a youngster WAY back in the day. I picked up a 4908 in 09 and had a blast with it; driving and repairing from all my crashes. Since then I started to build a FLM extended chasis, but that was a slow and expensive proposition. Dealing with FLM was a horrible experience unfortunately and that build stalled. In the meanwhile, I picked up another used FLM chassis, but put it away. Kept finding great deals on other RC's. Got a jato 3.3 for $160 shipped (excellent condition), two Ofna LX1's for $200 (both rollers). Well my brother and I talked ourselves into a grudge race and agreed that we'd race monster trucks and 1/8 scale buggies. He picked up a Revo 3.3 that he's working on and I went through the many bins of acquired parts and pulled out the old FLM chasis. I had some free time this weekend so here's what I put together.

IMG_7464.jpg

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7460.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg

IMG_7465.jpg

IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

A-Arms - RPM (TrueTrack rear)
Air Filter - Motor Saver (HPI Savage)
Antenna Kit - Ofna 10140
Battery - Venom 1600
Brake - Revo Performance disc
Bulkheads - ACNCM
Bumpers - RPM
Chasis - FLM .21 Extended Chasis (old version)
Clutchbell - Axial AX0520 20T Vented
CVD's - FLM Front Drive Kit (FLM16055), 112mm dogbone
Differentials - E-Maxx
Drive Shafts - THS320
Engine - LRP Z.28R Spec III (ABmod)
Exhaust - Jammin JP-3
Fuel Tank - Ofna Violator 150cc
Receiver - Traxxas Link 2218 2.4GHz
Servos - HiTec HSR-5995TG (Steering) HS-5456MG (Throttle)
Shock Towers - UE Knucklehead
Shocks - Ofna LX One
Slipper - Traxxas 5352R
Slipper Pressure Plate - Traxxas 5351
Springs - Ofna
Spur Gear - Traxxas 3953 36-Tooth (1.0 pitch)
Throttle Linkage - Dynamite ProTune Kit
Tires - Proline Badlands
Transmitter - Traxxas Link 2238 2.4GHz
Wiring Harness - Traxas 3034
Wheels - Maximizer Beadlocks 1/2 Offset (1730)

I still need to work out gearing, springs, exhaust, and decide on a body. I don't know if I'm leaving it as a pullstart yet. I have a Tiger Drive S689 for it.

Nice rig and layout, it should serve you well.

Super shock springs will work well with the LX one shocks and you will not need to use as much pre-load.

I also have a couple mods you can do to the LX1 shocks that will help increase the handling of the truck if your interested.

Again, nice rig...

Thanks man. I'll check out those Super shock springs. I switched out the yellow ofna springs (soft) for their medium red springs. I weighed the truck and it came in right at 10lbs without fuel. I'll be tweaking it all week before really trying to run it.

Looks great! What kind of problems did you have with FLM?
It started with the wrong combo bulks. Ended up going to their hybrids. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you can use their hybrid bulks with a 4908 tranny and their 4908 brake. The shaft that came with the FLM16055 was just too long. Now this was in 09. Maybe they've changed things since then. Seems like the shaft needed to be around 56mm in total length. The one that came with the kit was around 61mm long. I got tired of dealing with it and just put the poor truck in the closet until earlier this year when I decided to finish it up. All I have left on that garage queen is to resolve my front shaft issue being too long and that's about it. I've had about 80% of that truck completed since February 2010. I've actually contacted FLM about purchasing the shaft and Regina says that it is 2.2 inches. I've stress to them that it's total overall length needs to be approximately 56mm so that's about right. I'll probably order it tomorrow. As much as I already have invested in it, I might as well get it finished. My fiance would kill me if she knew how much I have invested in that truck. I guess as long as she gets to drive the one pictured above, she'll be ok.....;-)

Heack yeah looks good, I dropped a LRP .28 in my T-Maxx as well. I had my share of issues with the build but it all came out eventually and is a bad ass truck now. Well....just a touch over powered maybe:D

Thanks guys. Hey fricken......what was your clutchbell/spurgear combo?

I actually used a Set-up from a Savage. I modded a top-shaft to use a HPI 1/8 scale set-up so I was running a 19/47 combo. Plenty of low end power and top speed too. Here are some pictures of my version one slipper set up. I have a better one now. My version two is a double sided slipper using a Savage X spur-gear... Works great. Now I can run almost any combo I want that is available for a 1/8.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76378
IMG_7051.jpg

joey can i see a shot of how you have your violator tank mounted? i want to see how you made it work beside the engine. people usually put them beside the trans.

joey can i see a shot of how you have your violator tank mounted? i want to see how you made it work beside the engine. people usually put them beside the trans.
These are the best pictures I have right now....it is packed up somewhere on the other side of the Pacific from me...lol. The throttle post fits perfect in the notch of the fuel tank...I mean the tank was just almost perfect for the job. The part I liked is I got to keep almost everything in the stock location. Worked out pretty well I think.
IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

thanks, thats one well thought out truck and layout you have there! standard or wide ratio in the trans? if you had another $500 what would you do to the truck?

I like the layout he has there, looks good. I kinda wanted to stay with the normal layout so when people saw it they knew is was a T-Maxx....just...um...slightly modded. Another $500 on mine....Maybe RPM truetrac arms or flextec. Maybe an alloy throttle post. In all honesty it's pretty much done. Too much money dumped already...lol

Hey Fricken....are you shaft starting that lrp? I don't see a pullstart on it. What exhaust did you end up going with? I'm looking at the JP-4 or one of the 086 pipes. All of a sudden I'm hating my RPM axle carriers. The first day I took this buggy outside the "fricken" pillow balled pulled right through the carrier. I've read that it was an issue, but I have them on a relatively stock T-maxx with stock servo and never had a problem with them. Maybe I'll look at the tekno carriers. Also, my Traxxas link controller spazzes out every once in a while (I knew I should have just put this truck on my Futaba 3PM).

Last edited:
Yes I am using a Roto start on it...good eye. I am using a JP-4 right now but I have the JP-2 I use on it sometimes. I had the smae thing happen and went alloy on the axle carries. I am using a 333oz Hitec servo right now. I have to the thing weighs so much. I bought the Futaba 2.4Fasst about 3-1/2 years ago....really glad I did. So many glitching and interference issues solved.

I installed a Sullivan Products TigerDrive model S689, nut broke it where you insert the shaft. What model Roto start are you using? I do love my Hitec servo and Futaba 2.4. I may just pick up another receiver for this truck to scrap that Traxxas link if I can't resolve the glitching.

Finally had some time to work out a couple little issues. Here are a couple of updated pics with another build that I'm working on. :)

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

Nice looking rigs but they're too clean! :D

haha....the LRP setup is almost complete. It's been on a couple of controlled solo test runs, but will be bashing with my buddies soon enough. The "pretty" truck probably has a couple weeks before being done. It actually started as my first T-maxx build, but after running into some problems with parts, I went on to a couple other things.