Unseen upgrades.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
This truck has got some expensive upgrades that some folks don't see!
A lot of people don't realize or see the parts that make the rides so valuable an why!

This is my AE MGT. It has the Hardcore shock towers, Mip super duty axles, an titanium tie rods in which is $300 dollars in value by them selves! The truck also has aluminum rims in which can be valued at $100!

She is 15 yrs old an still kicks Butt ,I haven't ran her because I need to buy fuel ,I will get fuel soon!

The truck is an AE truck ,but has hardcore shock towers ,mip axles ,t-maxx base aluminum rims ,hardcore rear skid bumper ,
RPM a-arms GPM aluminum knuckles ,Losi claw tires ,XTM 290cc fuel tank an a HPI 5.9 engine!
Front skid an bumper is made by me!

Half of this truck is not what it appears to be!

Old school rides are beast!

Last edited:
Seemed like your truck ran forever... I know the tank of fuel often outlasted the parts on the Mammoth ST... at least for me. Would blow cb bearings, lock up the 2 speed or bend something before I ever ran out of fuel. lol!

That's why you have to upgrade EVERYTHING on that truck. Too much power for the stock parts. Too many RC companies do that and imho on purpose. Sale them with the big torquey motor that eats parts. I had to learn the hard way and stop trying to shine turds.

Seemed like your truck ran forever... I know the tank of fuel often outlasted the parts on the Mammoth ST... at least for me. Would blow cb bearings, lock up the 2 speed or bend something before I ever ran out of fuel. lol!

Yea ,I can run the truck ,I think for at least about 20 to 25 min.....:cool:

The problem is they are rare ,and hard to find!

That's why you have to upgrade EVERYTHING on that truck. Too much power for the stock parts. Too many RC companies do that and imho on purpose. Sale them with the big torquey motor that eats parts. I had to learn the hard way and stop trying to shine turds.
i remember when mammoths came out always wanted one, but then got the MGT and haven't really looked back. did pick up a LST though. it seems that associated got quite a bit right with the MGT, does have its weak points as all rigs do, but to me it seems pretty contained and normal-ish things to wear. my T-maxx was kind of a run a tank, break it, fix it, run a tank, break it, fix it. rinse repeat. might have been my luck but it seemed like things were always breaking on it. never was consistent with what broke though. one way bearings one day, bulkheads the next on, to transmission gears. was a O.S. CV-RX engine so can't blame my one way bearing/pull start troubles on the truck itself.

I hear you on the T-Maxx, that was the turd I tried to shine. There wasn't a stock part on there when I was done! The Revo was so, so much better that followed. AE has always been a step up as far as RC's go so that's a given but the T-Maxx and the MGT are very similar in design one is just made a lot better.

Yea ,I can run the truck ,I think for at least about 20 to 25 min.....:cool:

The problem is they are rare ,and hard to find!
Yeah, they are now. When I had mine, parts were pretty easy to find. I had an OS21RG in mine. That thing just sipped fuel. Seemed to run and run. I ran the same in my savage at the time and big block t-maxx. Hardly noticed the 125cc tanks I used on both of those.

Wasn't until a few savage's later that I threw an LRP28 in that I noticed how small a 125cc tank was. lol!

I hear you on the T-Maxx, that was the turd I tried to shine. There wasn't a stock part on there when I was done! The Revo was so, so much better that followed. AE has always been a step up as far as RC's go so that's a given but the T-Maxx and the MGT are very similar in design one is just made a lot better.
Ditto. If you ran a weak engine, RPM arms, RPM towers, good alloy bulks, it would run for a while. Just don't try going big block... or you end up replacing diffs every other tank (it seemed).

yeah the mgt is very similar, it seemed they were able fix most of the issues, diffs are damn near bulletproof if taken care of, they mounted the engine perpindicular to the truck so chassis flex was almost removed from the equation, heavier duty plastics (Shock towers are probably the weak point), and bulks were better engineered IMO.
did have alot of fun with the maxx but little thing after little thing... i definitely knew the construction of the truck by the time i got rid of it.

yeah the mgt is very similar, it seemed they were able fix most of the issues, diffs are damn near bulletproof if taken care of, they mounted the engine perpindicular to the truck so chassis flex was almost removed from the equation, heavier duty plastics (Shock towers are probably the weak point), and bulks were better engineered IMO.
did have alot of fun with the maxx but little thing after little thing... i definitely knew the construction of the truck by the time i got rid of it.
Nickel and dime, nickel and dime, such was the tmaxx

Btw ditch those plastic coilovers, trust me with the right weight oil and the right coilovers change the truck ENTIRELY.

Naaaahhh ,I don't think any shock can handle this abuse ,fluid or no fluid ,I had literelly took out aluminum threads!...LOL

Jut have to replace them as you bash harder ,that is my signature ,you know!....:p

Naaaahhh ,I don't think any shock can handle this abuse ,fluid or no fluid ,I had literelly took out aluminum threads!...LOL

Jut have to replace them as you bash harder ,that is my signature ,you know!....:p

Nice huge air bro. Yeah no shocks can handle jumping SO high and landing on a flat surface. You need some sort of landing ramp or you're just going to blowout parts everytime. Sick air like I said though but at a $$.

My main reason for my suggestion for ditching plastic coilovers is they heat up over time/laps and flex and get "sloppy". But hell if you're just jumping it off a wood ramp in a flat dirt field then buy a bunch of cheapo plastic coilovers is what I say. I was giving advice at 1st from how I use RC's and not thinking about how you were, my bad dude.

Back