Two ESCs One Receiver Wiring

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3DElectric

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to RCs and I am currently working on a custom 3D printed RC truck. I'm sure there will be a lot of things pointed out, like how a single larger motor and one ESC, would have been easier, but there's a long list of reasons for why the setup is this way.

So as you can see in the image, it's a dual-motor, dual ESC, dual battery, single receiver setup.

The reason I'm here is that I'm struggling with this 3ch RX/TX. It didn't come with a very thorough set of instructions as you can imagine, and it's been giving me problems since the beginning when I was running a brushed setup.

Essentially, while I was attempting to turn power / top end all the way down.....(Unplug both motors while everything is running, hold the throttle at 100% and continuously press the TH- button until I get a double beep indicating the lowest setting)......it developed a problem where it was sending more power to the rear ESC/Motor vs the front. IE, While the truck is lifted off the ground, I would slowly increase the TH trim until the tires would begin to roll. Once the rear began to roll but not the front, I would continue to increase trim until the front did. The problem is that it took way too much trim to get the front going and the rear was at a good speed by then. I unplugged the motors again, reset throttle power on the TX to the lowest setting, and then increased the power/top end by 30 presses. I powered everything off and plugged it all back in, then the front would have about 50% total power (as expected), but the rear wouldn't move at all.

At some point, while trying to fix this, I plugged the rear motor/ESC in by itself, and now the motor would run in reverse (huh!?). I plugged both front and rear in, and the front was still running in the correct direction but the rear was going in reverse. I could not figure out what could possibly make them do this, so I swapped the RX/TX out for the exact same RX/TX combo and everything worked as expected. I never got that RX/TX back to where it should be and I didn't want to risk blowing anything up before asking about my wiring.

I was hoping that someone could take a look at the setup and let me know if anything is wired wrong or needs changing. I've read somewhere that the batteries should be wired in parallel so that there is an even discharge on both batteries, but I'm not sure if that is necessary. Thanks for all the feedback/help and sorry for the long read.

20201221_161017.jpg

Ok since you have non sensored motors with non sensored esc whats the chances are that the wrong rotation motors wires got switched around. ? as for trimming both out to have rotation rpms the same Id go to a Y harness and not use 2 channels to run the esc.. all you need to do is take off 1 red rx wire so your only using 1 bec from 1 esc to power all..

Update.

So I got them running properly again, the same configuration as before, it seems something went buggy with the receiver.

That said, I'm now focused on power drain for both batteries. I switched it over so that the power leads are removed from BOTH ESC's and I've set up a dedicated battery for the receiver.

My question now is, is it better to keep each battery wired directly to each ESC, or should I make a parallel wiring harness for both ends battery and ESC as shown in the image below? Keep in mind that the power leads will be removed on both ESC's.

Attachments

• 20201224_152507.jpg
    20201224_152507.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 130