Turning a Stadium Truck Into A Truggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, so I have a Traxxas Jato 3.3 coming in the mail, along with lots of hop-ups to get her lookin pretty, my question, is that I want to turn this ST into a truggy & now sure whats the best path to take to do so if at all possible. For all the conversion project gurus this is for you.

I will have RPM arms front and rear, and a tuned pipe from Traxxas along with some new wheels and 2.8" Proline Badlands.

Where do I go from here?

An official thread will start when I recieve the rig.

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 7:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:13 AM ----------

Once I get her converted, which i know I can because I have seen Jato truggies, how will I know what truggy body will fit? Bad enough finding an ST lid for these...

Any suggestions guys? I am not sure if I can make a truggy thats only 2wd and rear end heavy. I already have a truggy wing & mount picked out, but anything after that is out of my hands. I dont plan on really racing, just want the looks and "race performance" out of my Jato.

I look forward to seeing this! The furthest I gave gotten with the rusty I bought from a forum member is putting on pro-lines bulldog shell for the associated t 4.1. I think this truggy style shell should also fit the jato. Hth and I look forward to the build.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Heres my baby
Picture495.jpg

list so far is.
shocks.jpg

then traxxas talon rears

proline badland fronts

traxxas 1 speed

So far i love the thing, the 2 speed is useless in my opinion because i dont do runs up and down the street.. i have a track i drive on and its perfect. the badlands for the front are amazing. i had them on the rear before but they were a little to narrow and i got alot of wheel spin. but they are huge upgrades regardless over stock..

The suspension i got is from ebay but they absorb every bump nicely and it just handles great. I've looked all over if there were some possible way to do a 4x4 swap but no luck.. and my next upgrade will be the battery in the center and the wing.. i love the wing on the jato.

I took the easy start off save a few ounces and put a pull start.

Over all.. the truck actually performs wonderfully on the dirt now, i have full control and alot of fun with it.

What are some good shock sets for these? Would I want a stiffer rear to take on the engine weight and jump landing factor?

Never looked into Jato's much. Kinda had my heart set on a Slayer, since parts are compatable with my Revo. I like the idea of having a 2WD car/truck

What are some good shock sets for these? Would I want a stiffer rear to take on the engine weight and jump landing factor?

The ones i listed were a little softer but they perform nicely.. i would say even just aluminum version of the jatos stock shocks would be nice.. with the gold coating of course.. and youll have an awesome truck.. i just liked the way these looked on the add and had to have em.

For the landing factor this thing likes to almost flip on everything because the rear battery pack. getting the center battery pack would be a better choice in my opinion so your not flipping over everything.

the stiffness you dont want to stiff where its bouncing but you dont want it to soft where you can't keep the rear end from dragging on the ground.. Depending on what shock oil you decide to use and spring, will determine everything.

Here is a site that has a TON of performance parts for the jato.. http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnumber=JT1000X&c=180 they have everything you would need... or.. ebay has tons of parts aswell.. if you just type: jato suspension youll get hundreds of parts listed.

The spring stiffness usually is determined by color, typically the lightest color is the softest.. Some companies vary, for instance .. yellow would be some of the softest springs you can buy.. and then dark blue would be the stiffest.

If i had the money i would probably go this route

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnumber=AR2353F;c=180

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnumber=RVO5105;c=180

for the shock it self you want something that has good travel but then if you do get a set that are much longer then the spring i listen above would be useless..

could get these http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-SHIP-T...Accessories&hash=item20bfe7b783#ht_1179wt_306 i ran t maxx shocks on my jato for along time and the were nice because they had travel for ever and i didnt have any bottoming out.

http://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/news/Building-Ultimate-Road-Jato-33 this guy stuck with the stock style suspension but has it dialed in nicely... you might just wanna copy this build.

good luck

Damn HPI,
Already planning on modding it? lol... It does have stiffer springs in the rear and dont forget you only need rear RPM arms. I put the fronts on and theyve never been ran. Post some pics as you go, definately want to see what you turn it into..