Turkey Day Crash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I let my bro-in-law drive my car today while the rest of the family was finishing up cooking our Turkey Day dinner. I told him to take it easy since it's got a lot of power and is very sensitive to throttle input. He says no problem and takes the wheel. About 5 seconds later all I hear is the peeling out of tires on the pavement. He runs up the street, all the while spinning the tires and fishtailing on the edge of control. On the way back I see him doing the same thing, throttle cracked wide open and getting sideways like a drifter. And then it happened, he lost control and hit the curb going about 40 mph. When I heard the crash my heart almost sank. I ran over to make sure he was OK. He had a look of horror on his face as I then checked the car for damage. Below are the carnage pics. Luckily my bro didn't hurt himself and the damage is fixable.

Front body damage

425956795_h2z3h-L.jpg

The front arm is slightly out of place

425956779_3KTfN-L.jpg

The shock tower is 5mm thick!

425956817_apwGw-L.jpg

Broken Beadlock

425956745_XTH48-L.jpg

Lower diff brace is a little tweaked

425956756_EeiYx-L.jpg

427676023_cNQTP-L.jpg

He apologized profusely and even offered to pay for the damage. I told him don't sweat it, I have spares and hopefully I'll be able to bend the front shock tower back into place. But, I was a little hurt that my beautiful paint job got wrecked! :hehe:

Last edited:
Oh that sucks man! Sorry to hear that. How was the food though?

Whip out the Mighty Putty and everything is fixed!

Sorry to hear about the car. That car must've taken a big, and I mean BIG, crash for it to bend that 5mm shock tower. Hope the rest of Turkey Day was fine for you.

Food was excellent! 23 lb bird with all the fixings.

That car must've taken a big, and I mean BIG, crash for it to bend that 5mm shock tower.

He hit the curb at almost full speed and at about a 45 degree angle. The crash was so hard my pack (which is velcro'ed and zip tied to the battery tray) slid forward and jammed itself into the steering servo, and unplugged itself from it's dean's connector. I'm just glad it was the curb and not his leg.

wow. thats some nice carnage!
and i love your descriptions...'a little tweaked'

Oops.

Still it wasn't too bad and you could cover most of the body damage if you got a new sheet of decals and some fine grit paper just to smooth the scratches down.

Shock tower might not ever be the same again though, allu never quite bends back flat after you tweak it like that, and if you try too hard you might weaken it.

I was fully expecting to see the truck with 1 side ripped off or something...

It didn't look to bad until you took off the body, just put the body back on and pretend it never happen, it's all just a bad dream, LOL!!! sorry to see all that carnage, at least your turkey day food was good...

Looks like another example of someone not showing respect for the vehicle because "it's just a toy" :\

Just don't let him drive your 1:1 vehicle! :D

23lb. bird, you'll be eating left-overs for week!

Dang, and to think I was kinda ticked when my sister's boyfriend broke a ball cup on my Nitro MT Wednesday. Sure they are inexpensive but I didn't have spares with me at the time so that ended the day's bashing with that one. Put it away and got out the LST only to loose a grub screw and pin outta the rear axle...

At least the Slash survived!

i felt the same way when my brother hit a trailer WOT with my savage

hope everything works out

Additional damage: the CVD is bent as well as both hingepins. Top shock spacers are ripped off. The aluminum arm is bent where the outer hingepin slides through. It's time to go ebaying; it looks to be at least $100 in damage not including the shock tower which I'll have to ask Bomb Proof Products to make.

To add to the list, my nephew drove my micro-T yesterday and burned up the ESC/Receiver. Time to drop in the brushless system. :\

The Slash on the other hand, was driven by no less than 5 people yesterday with no RC experience. It was crashed at WOT many times and jumped off a makeshift ramp. It went through 3 packs without a single broken part. :first_place:

maaaaaan, i feel your pain. co-worker smashed my crt.5 pretty bad a few weeks ago.
I have a pair of mlst's now for people to drive. anything that i have more than 300 bux into is only driven by me, or someone who has decent rc experience.

SD, don't forget to add the cost of a new custom painted lid for it once you get it put back together :D

I may just have to ask my bro-in-law to pay for the damage...the paint job is priceless!

maaaaaan, i feel your pain. co-worker smashed my crt.5 pretty bad a few weeks ago.
I have a pair of mlst's now for people to drive. anything that i have more than 300 bux into is only driven by me, or someone who has decent rc experience.

I'm only letting people drive the Slash from now on. At least parts are cheap if they manage to break something.

Last edited:
I have been there bro and I feel your pain! Parts are easy to replace unlike friends and family as for the body it now has character.

Back