Turbo Plug Compression

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrolight

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just tried measuring the compression on my first turbo
plug engine. Only to find out my compression gadge
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL388&P=7
won't fit and I can't find an adapter on-line.
does anyone know of an adapter or do I need to buy another
gadge ? If so who sells a turbo plug gadge ?
Thanks for any help...

Last edited:
SOL, really ?
Nobody checks compression with a turbo-plug engine ?
WOW...

I am not trying to rip on you at all... as a matter of fact I could be wrong, but I think you should ask how many people check compression with a gauge?

Whats the point of checking compression with a gauge on a nitro engine? IMO its a big waste of time. You can tell if a mill is spent by two ways, try turning the flywheel if its really easy to turn chances are your mill is dead. The other way is by running it, if it doesn't idle, has no low end power, restarts are nonexistant its done. No need to check compression with gauge.

are you doing this for engine mods.....like comparing performance after a mod or just curious?

I've only really heard of airplane guys checking their compression. :shrug: The only downside to turbo plugs is that lack of a sealing gasket. One spec of dust, and compression goes out the window.

Not for engine mods... I was just told by someone that it's the
best way to monitor engine wear... I guess that might not be the case...

it is but you really don't NEED it to tell when your engine is dead......somone above mentioned it too, just roll over the flywheel w/ your hand...if you feel that "burp" of air that's your compression, the hard spot where you are going through the pinch I refer to as "mechanical" pinch...when the mech. pinch is gone you'll still have the lil burp......cover the exhaust port ( on the pipe) and turn it you should feel it pop there too......if you don't have it then you're loosing or llost your compression...you really don't "need" the guage unless your all hardcore IMO....it gives nice data to know but it's far from a nessicity....

Hardcore I'm not...
Guess I'll use the flywheel method, that makes sense...
I'll probably keep checking the compression on my other engines
for the "curiosity sake" since I have the damn thing now :)

Do you know what the compression psi is supposed to be on your engines? If not, it is a waste of time...

My understanding is that every engine is different. I was told to take a compression
reading after breaking the engine in. That figure will be the optimum compression reading for that engine. As the engine wears, the compression will drop. It's just a
way of relating engine wear with a number. No better then the "flywheel method", just another way...