tuned pipe sound levels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy-MAXX

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi i need to know if i can get results of sound checks on tuned pipes,accurate readings done for a governing body in racing or for local authorities.
thanks Easy

Can you explain a little bit more? Like, what the purpose of the test is. So I can see the whole Scopy of the analysis. As well as what needs to be tested and/or what vehicles.

Decibal tests are pretty simple if you have the right equipment to test with. The key to decibal tests is making sure you are creating the loudest noise possible to see the extreme. For instance, you want to open an outdoor track and the most # of vehicles running at once will be 15. Then you will need 15 vehicles hauling around and test decibals in ALL directions. Starting trackside and moving out as far as 100 yards in some instances.

Follow?

it is needed to get permission to set a track up here in the UK,the council want to know what noises to expect,on any mill ,tuned pipe and header.for competing with touring cars there is a noise limit allowed by the governing body but not covering monster trucks etc.

Loudest I've heard...GS Storm stock pipe on the GS Storm stock engine - that sucker is LOUD! Never measured sound pressure levels though.

Here in the states we have OSHA and other safety organizations. They will typically bring a meter to where-ever or loan you a meter to do sound/decibel level checks. I have not heard of an official test of the sort you may require.

I would say check with whatever public health/safety organization you guys have locally over there in the UK.

I am also unaware of any official testing stateside that covers a dynamic range of pipes and engines. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I haven't heard of one. You might try contacting ROAR...one of the largest RC organizations that covers racing in the states...they may be able to put you onto something...ask Fast Eddy for their link (he posted it somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it...)

http://www.roarracing.com/ is the link. Someone there should be able to help you. I'm sure there are 'averages' that you can use.

The best bet is to get the cars running in the particular area with a decibal meter and record away.

The better questions is what are they truely looking for?

A local track here had to agree to stop racing at 10:00 pm. on Weekends and 8:00 on week days.

Thats all it took.

thanks guys..they just want an excuse to say no really,if they do i`ll cut them a new arse,just for a grin;)

Make sure you ask if there is a 'chairty' that they would like to see a donation made to. It helps ;)

Any kind of community ties spin you can put on your track...ie gives the kids a place to hang vice out stealing cars and joy riding around the English countryside...can also help.

Here, lets start with the basics:

T-Maxx. Ported TRX. Duratrax header. AE pipe. Before it starts:

0 dBA.

Does that help any?

J/K :D

that`s it we can put on a static show,displaying them clean and not run them,no noise issue then for the council to worry about;)

Should be an easy sell.....LOL!

Actually, I have a sound level meter at my disposal, but I'm not sure how much good it would do you. I can give you some simple numbers on a single Maxx. Some numbers at idle and maybe some running. But since I don't live near a track, I can't really give you an idea what a mass of them would sound like. I'll see if I can get some time to make a few measurements in the next few days and I'll toss the numbers up here.

thanks for that offer it is the best one so far,over on traxxas i posted the same Q,must have been too technical for them,i got no replies at all.

Originally posted by Easy-MAXX
thanks for that offer it is the best one so far,over on traxxas i posted the same Q,must have been too technical for them,i got no replies at all.

Yes, but remember, you said you only wanted serious answers:cheeky:

OK. Here we go. Now mind you these numbers are not exact since I had to make the measurements alone and sometimes it's hard to watch a Maxx AND a sound level meter.

All are taken from my Maxx. Ported TRX. Duratraxx Header. AE #7730 tuned pipe. Mounted in traditional fashion. All measurements were taken outdoors.

Truck at idle. Approx 1 ft from stinger at ground level: 88 dBA
Truck at idle. Location approximating ear level: 82 dBA
Truck at WOT at a distance of about 6 ft: 94 dBA
Truck at WOT passing at around 20 yds: 72 dBA

I hope this at least gives you something to work with.

thanks for that,it is by far the best info i have to work with.
cool dude for posting it for us.

Glad to be of some help here. It's about time 6 years of college came in handy!!!!

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Can you explain a little bit more? Like, what the purpose of the test is. So I can see the whole Scopy of the analysis. As well as what needs to be tested and/or what vehicles.

Decibal tests are pretty simple if you have the right equipment to test with. The key to decibal tests is making sure you are creating the loudest noise possible to see the extreme. For instance, you want to open an outdoor track and the most # of vehicles running at once will be 15. Then you will need 15 vehicles hauling around and test decibals in ALL directions. Starting trackside and moving out as far as 100 yards in some instances.

Follow?
You reminded me of a test I had to run at work for one of my bad apples who claimed to have bad hearing but heard wispers really well. Anyway, he got the DSoctor to keep him away from high intensity noises, anything about 87.5 db on the A scale. Not wanting to deprive him of some good clean fun at work I had the test done and found exactly where he would hit 87.5 db at the work place and he was not going to be able to be kept miles from work like he wanted, only 20 feet which meant there was little he could not do at work. Next the guy got another Doctor to say he couldn't walk long distances but that's another story.

Back